Restrict Drive Access for Other Users

Please,

Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my computer so I am the only
user on my computer who can use or view a particular drive.
--
Thank You
4 answers Last reply

    I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
    may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
    and what SP???
    Happy Holidays!

    Ken Echeverri wrote:
    > Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my computer so I am
    > the only user on my computer who can use or view a particular drive.

    In reality?
    Lock it in a room where you are the only one with a key and it is never
    connected to the Internet or any type of internal network/external network.

    A little less intrusive and more useful?
    Use NTFS permissions along with EFS and make sure you do the proper backups
    for EFS (as well as just a normal backup of your data) and you will be safer
    than 90% of the people out there.

    With the NTFS permissions (given the other users of this computer are not
    admins that could just take ownership then change the permissions) - you
    could limit whole lists of files/directories/drives to only one user or
    group. With EFS, you can encrypt a file/folder so that only your user can
    access them (again - very dangerous unless you know exactly what you are
    doing - and in my opinion - whatever you are trying to hide better be worth
    the risk of losing it completely.)

    Those are pretty much your built in choices.. If you have Windows XP
    Professional that is.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    The best way to begin working with permissions is to start by using the Make
    This Folder Private option on any folders you want to protect in your user
    profile. This sets a baseline of default permissions that guarantee you'll
    have exclusive access to those files. After completing that process, you're
    ready to turn off the Simple File Sharing interface and reveal the more
    complex Security tab, with its full array of NTFS permissions. To do so,
    from any Windows Explorer window, click Tools and then click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, clear the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box.

    For the more daring ones:

    Make sure you have NTFS drive then set permissions on a "drive" or a folder
    as follows.

    XP PRO: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\forceguest, set dword
    value to 0.
    XP HOME: On a machine running Windows XP Home Edition, the only way to
    adjust permissions on individual files or folders is by restarting in Safe
    Mode or using the Cacls utility from a command prompt.
    Cacls.exe, a command-line utility (Start/Run/cmd then type cacls.exe)

    available in both Windows XP Professional and Home Edition.

    It provides another way to view and edit permissions. Set permissions

    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
    > may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
    > and what SP???
    > Happy Holidays!

  4. Quote:

    The best way to begin working with permissions is to start by using the Make
    This Folder Private option on any folders you want to protect in your user
    profile. This sets a baseline of default permissions that guarantee you'll
    have exclusive access to those files. After completing that process, you're
    ready to turn off the Simple File Sharing interface and reveal the more
    complex Security tab, with its full array of NTFS permissions. To do so,
    from any Windows Explorer window, click Tools and then click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, clear the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box.

    For the more daring ones:

    Make sure you have NTFS drive then set permissions on a "drive" or a folder
    as follows.

    XP PRO: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\forceguest, set dword
    value to 0.
    XP HOME: On a machine running Windows XP Home Edition, the only way to
    adjust permissions on individual files or folders is by restarting in Safe
    Mode or using the Cacls utility from a command prompt.
    Cacls.exe, a command-line utility (Start/Run/cmd then type cacls.exe)

    available in both Windows XP Professional and Home Edition.

    It provides another way to view and edit permissions. Set permissions

    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
    > may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
    > and what SP???
    > Happy Holidays!

    ..>>
    >>>we have the same probs...