Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Restrict Drive Access for Other Users

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 9:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Please,

Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my computer so I am the only
user on my computer who can use or view a particular drive.
--
Thank You
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
and what SP???
Happy Holidays!
>-----Original Message-----
>Please,
>
>Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my
computer so I am the only
>user on my computer who can use or view a particular
drive.
>--
>Thank You
>.
>
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:57:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Ken Echeverri wrote:
> Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my computer so I am
> the only user on my computer who can use or view a particular drive.


In reality?
Lock it in a room where you are the only one with a key and it is never
connected to the Internet or any type of internal network/external network.


A little less intrusive and more useful?
Use NTFS permissions along with EFS and make sure you do the proper backups
for EFS (as well as just a normal backup of your data) and you will be safer
than 90% of the people out there.

With the NTFS permissions (given the other users of this computer are not
admins that could just take ownership then change the permissions) - you
could limit whole lists of files/directories/drives to only one user or
group. With EFS, you can encrypt a file/folder so that only your user can
access them (again - very dangerous unless you know exactly what you are
doing - and in my opinion - whatever you are trying to hide better be worth
the risk of losing it completely.)

Those are pretty much your built in choices.. If you have Windows XP
Professional that is.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:28:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The best way to begin working with permissions is to start by using the Make
This Folder Private option on any folders you want to protect in your user
profile. This sets a baseline of default permissions that guarantee you'll
have exclusive access to those files. After completing that process, you're
ready to turn off the Simple File Sharing interface and reveal the more
complex Security tab, with its full array of NTFS permissions. To do so,
from any Windows Explorer window, click Tools and then click Folder Options.
On the View tab, clear the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box.

For the more daring ones:

Make sure you have NTFS drive then set permissions on a "drive" or a folder
as follows.

XP PRO: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\forceguest, set dword
value to 0.
XP HOME: On a machine running Windows XP Home Edition, the only way to
adjust permissions on individual files or folders is by restarting in Safe
Mode or using the Cacls utility from a command prompt.
Cacls.exe, a command-line utility (Start/Run/cmd then type cacls.exe)

available in both Windows XP Professional and Home Edition.

It provides another way to view and edit permissions. Set permissions



"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:10cb01c4e9da$63698aa0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
> may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
> and what SP???
> Happy Holidays!
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Please,
>>
>>Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my
> computer so I am the only
>>user on my computer who can use or view a particular
> drive.
>>--
>>Thank You
>>.
>>
March 7, 2012 7:03:05 AM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The best way to begin working with permissions is to start by using the Make
This Folder Private option on any folders you want to protect in your user
profile. This sets a baseline of default permissions that guarantee you'll
have exclusive access to those files. After completing that process, you're
ready to turn off the Simple File Sharing interface and reveal the more
complex Security tab, with its full array of NTFS permissions. To do so,
from any Windows Explorer window, click Tools and then click Folder Options.
On the View tab, clear the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box.

For the more daring ones:

Make sure you have NTFS drive then set permissions on a "drive" or a folder
as follows.

XP PRO: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\forceguest, set dword
value to 0.
XP HOME: On a machine running Windows XP Home Edition, the only way to
adjust permissions on individual files or folders is by restarting in Safe
Mode or using the Cacls utility from a command prompt.
Cacls.exe, a command-line utility (Start/Run/cmd then type cacls.exe)

available in both Windows XP Professional and Home Edition.

It provides another way to view and edit permissions. Set permissions



"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:10cb01c4e9da$63698aa0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I do not think this is possible, but keep searching. I
> may be wrong, who knows. Also, what OS are you running
> and what SP???
> Happy Holidays!
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Please,
>>
>>Can someone tell me the simplest way to set up my
> computer so I am the only
>>user on my computer who can use or view a particular
> drive.
>>--
>>Thank You
>>.
>>




..>>
>>>we have the same probs...
!