"Not enough memory" with wme-7-95-031028m-011774c

Hello All,
I installed a new ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (sapphire) the other day,
and removed my Nvidia 5200 fx. I ran "det destroyer" and installed
the wme-7-95-031028m-011774c drivers.

Trying to open a DOS window, or start a DOS app gives me the error
message "Not enough memory available to run the application". Is
this known to be related to the ATI drivers/hardware somehow?

This is on a gigabyte ga7vt600 board with a gig of ram and athlon 2200.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
bl8n8r

"bad_knee" <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
> I installed a new ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (sapphire) the other day,
> and removed my Nvidia 5200 fx. I ran "det destroyer" and installed
> the wme-7-95-031028m-011774c drivers.
>
> Trying to open a DOS window, or start a DOS app gives me the error
> message "Not enough memory available to run the application". Is
> this known to be related to the ATI drivers/hardware somehow?
>
> This is on a gigabyte ga7vt600 board with a gig of ram and athlon
2200.

> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> bl8n8r

I hope you don't have Windows 2000 or XP and are trying to install those
drivers since they are intended for Windows 98 and ME.

If you're running Windows 98 or ME and have 1GB of memory, you will have
problems in general. You will need to run MSCONFIG in Windows, and then
in the General tab, go to Advanced, and limit memory to 512MB.

Hope this helps.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote in message news:<107vuj86223jfdb@corp.supernews.com>...
> "bad_knee" <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,

<snip>

> I hope you don't have Windows 2000 or XP and are trying to install those
> drivers since they are intended for Windows 98 and ME.
>
> If you're running Windows 98 or ME and have 1GB of memory, you will have
> problems in general. You will need to run MSCONFIG in Windows, and then
> in the General tab, go to Advanced, and limit memory to 512MB.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yeah, it not only helped, NightSky, it cured the whole problem. Thanks!

> Yeah, it not only helped, NightSky, it cured the whole problem.
Thanks!

Glad to be of assistance...now go enjoy the new card! :)

In article <107vuj86223jfdb@corp.supernews.com>, nightsky421@no-mail-
please.com says...

> If you're running Windows 98 or ME and have 1GB of memory, you will have
> problems in general. You will need to run MSCONFIG in Windows, and then
> in the General tab, go to Advanced, and limit memory to 512MB.

You don't have to limit it to 512M. Try starting at 960M and work down
64M at a time. A good Google search will also find many hints at several
changes to SYSTEM.INI to improve performance with so much memory, and to
fix a few of the issues.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-43835.html
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32672

law!!