powerleap ripoff.

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 20, 2004 10:18:54 PM

Well i finally received my powerleap pro-mmx adapter and
I now can't believe that I wasted $100 on the piece of junk.

The included utilities disk was NOT included.

And the unit itself will not work.
The speed is 66mhx
the tweaked speed is 400 mhx at 6.0 CLKMUL
the voltage is 2.2 volts

And also....
The fan was defective and when used the fan would make an annoying and
loud grind sound.
When the unit is attached and the computer is turned on the little
yellow light on the monitor does not go green nor does the computer
boot up.

My computer is a packard bell PB 130 (a useless number)
Model:A950TWR
FCC ID: FOD640PT

By looking at the fcc id and the bios update, there is a 640
motherboard installed with 128 mb of ram.

any help?

PS:You may of forgotten that I banned myself for the complaining at
metronid for 3 months....well i'm back.

More about : powerleap ripoff

May 21, 2004 1:25:59 AM

First question...what processor are you running?
Second question...if it an AMD K6 ...you need the Mr Bios Upgraded
bios...otherwise you will always see that yellow light on your monitor...

The Utilities can be download from there web site...they really dont do much

Been running an AMD K6-400 in the old PB640 motherboard for years...and
years...and years....

Do you have an L2 cache module in your 640?
If not get one...make a world of difference, where it is 256k or 512k...

tony
"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> Well i finally received my powerleap pro-mmx adapter and
> I now can't believe that I wasted $100 on the piece of junk.
>
> The included utilities disk was NOT included.
>
> And the unit itself will not work.
> The speed is 66mhx
> the tweaked speed is 400 mhx at 6.0 CLKMUL
> the voltage is 2.2 volts
>
> And also....
> The fan was defective and when used the fan would make an annoying and
> loud grind sound.
> When the unit is attached and the computer is turned on the little
> yellow light on the monitor does not go green nor does the computer
> boot up.
>
> My computer is a packard bell PB 130 (a useless number)
> Model:A950TWR
> FCC ID: FOD640PT
>
> By looking at the fcc id and the bios update, there is a 640
> motherboard installed with 128 mb of ram.
>
> any help?
>

> PS:You may of forgotten that I banned myself for the complaining at
> metronid for 3 months....well i'm back.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 11:13:54 AM

Okay, I have the cpu in front of me.

it is an AMD K6-2/500AFX

the origional cpu is an intel pentium 166 mmx processor.

When i suddenly looked at the cpu again, think that the 500 in the cpu
model # will answer my problems...i might have the wrong cpu.

Where can I get the L2 cache module? Do they ship to canada? How much?

I also noticed that all the heatsinks and fans pro the prommx are VERY
different than the one i have.
And the fan is a dud so it is driving me crazy.
I can't switch back to 166 mhz because the fan is also squeaking (the
same with my 10 other fans)

Any help?
May 21, 2004 11:14:25 AM

Where can i get the L2 cache module?
I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
Where can i get a new fan?
Do they ship to canada?
How much?
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:25:09 PM

"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> Well i finally received my powerleap pro-mmx adapter and
> I now can't believe that I wasted $100 on the piece of junk.
>
> The included utilities disk was NOT included.
>
> And the unit itself will not work.
> The speed is 66mhx
> the tweaked speed is 400 mhx at 6.0 CLKMUL
> the voltage is 2.2 volts
>
> And also....
> The fan was defective and when used the fan would make an annoying
and
> loud grind sound.
> When the unit is attached and the computer is turned on the little
> yellow light on the monitor does not go green nor does the computer
> boot up.
>
> My computer is a packard bell PB 130 (a useless number)
> Model:A950TWR
> FCC ID: FOD640PT
>
> By looking at the fcc id and the bios update, there is a 640
> motherboard installed with 128 mb of ram.
>
> any help?
>

> PS:You may of forgotten that I banned myself for the complaining at
> metronid for 3 months....well i'm back.

John:

Simply return the defective unit and see if another replacement one
comes with what you PAID for. Then follow the instructions exactly and
then come back and let us know how and what happened.

its also always best not to remind folks of past or present problems
with another poster(s) it should simply be forgotten or ignored. I am
sure Metronid has forgotten it by now.

Elector
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 11:23:12 PM

> Where can i get the L2 cache module?
> I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
> Where can i get a new fan?
> Do they ship to canada?
> How much?

You have the wrong cpu so now we are getting somewhere :-) The fans
are easy to buy and you can pick one up at Futureshop which I believe
is still located in Canada.

http://www.futureshop.ca/home.asp?newlang=EN&logon=&lan...

if the link above does not fit properly then click here:
http://tinyurl.com/ywrlz which will take you to the same page. They
are in English and French I gave you the English page.

I hope that helped?

Elector

PS: Yes they ship to/within Canada...
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 2:50:41 AM

An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
your motherboard (6x66).

"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> Where can i get the L2 cache module?
> I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
> Where can i get a new fan?
> Do they ship to canada?
> How much?
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 4:25:41 AM

Agreed. The AMD K6 CPUs are not clock-locked. To get 400Mhz out of one, it
usually works to set the motherboard jumpers as though the CPU was a 133MHz
Pentium. This setting normally asserts the correct signals for the BF2, BF1,
BF0 pins which set the clock multiplier... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:50:41 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
>However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
>your motherboard (6x66).
>
>"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Where can i get the L2 cache module?
>> I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
>> Where can i get a new fan?
>> Do they ship to canada?
>> How much?

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 7:34:56 AM

Oh, yeah! Running the AMD K6-2/500 at 400MHz is UNDERclocking it, the opposite
of what most games want to do with their systems... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:50:41 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
>However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
>your motherboard (6x66).
>
>"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Where can i get the L2 cache module?
>> I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
>> Where can i get a new fan?
>> Do they ship to canada?
>> How much?

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 6:58:36 PM

okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus speed:2.0)
It did not work.
what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?

what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 3:31:36 AM

Setting the clock multiplier to x2 causes the appropriate BFn signals to be
generated. What operating system are you running?

> okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
speed:2.0)
> It did not work.
> what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
>
> what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 3:58:35 AM

"It did not work." What does that mean? The BIOS did not display the expected
400MHz speed? The system would not boot at all?

BF0, BF1 and BF2 are the names assigned to the pins on which asserted electronic
signals will cause the system to run with a given clock multiplier. That's only
for us hardware freaks. Setting the motherboard jumpers for the clock
multiplier generates the appropriate signals on these pins... Ben Myers

On 22 May 2004 14:58:36 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:

>okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus speed:2.0)
>It did not work.
> what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
>
>what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 4:22:10 AM

BTW - I have successfully used Powerleap's PL-Pro-MMX adapter on a PB600 MB
without a BIOS upgrade. I still have a file labeled PB600.exe (300KB) in a
BIOS folder but don't remember if this is it. Do you/anyone know which MB
is in this machine?

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> Setting the clock multiplier to x2 causes the appropriate BFn signals to
be
> generated. What operating system are you running?
>
> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
> speed:2.0)
> > It did not work.
> > what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
> >
> > what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

May 23, 2004 4:27:05 PM

which motherboard do you have a PB600 or PB640?

If you have PB640 ........you will need the mr bios upgrade if you want to
run an AMD K6 processor.....no if s about it....

"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
speed:2.0)
> It did not work.
> what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
>
> what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 5:12:36 PM

> "It did not work." What does that mean? The BIOS did not display
the expected
> 400MHz speed? The system would not boot at all?
>
> BF0, BF1 and BF2 are the names assigned to the pins on which
asserted electronic
> signals will cause the system to run with a given clock multiplier.
That's only
> for us hardware freaks. Setting the motherboard jumpers for the
clock
> multiplier generates the appropriate signals on these pins... Ben
Myers

> On 22 May 2004 14:58:36 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
>
> >okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
speed:2.0)
> >It did not work.
> > what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
> >
> >what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

Which in some newer systems have the auto set for the jumper pins. The
multiplier is usually set for the clock speed via the pin assignment.
Or In some of the newer systems the pin assignment is made so that
"gamers etc" cannot overclock the system. In this case you place the
CPU in the motherboard and it detects what it needs to know and sets
it. In an older PB there should be a mark on the motherboard showing
the pin assignment for the speed. If there is not, in some cases
there is a software program supplied by the manufacturer (DFI comes to
mind) that allows you to set the speed via this method.

In some cases the CPU is bad and will not function, you should try
another and see if that is not the case here. If there is a pin
assignment for AUTO set it to that. If not look at the PIN diagram and
set the pins for the rated speed of the new CPU.

Elector
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:31:25 PM

I am running wondows 98 se.

will I have to pay to ship the powerleap back to the store? (I got it online)
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:36:34 PM

oops,

When i meant "it did not work" I meant that the computer won't even boot.
I can see the jumper settings because they are printed on the board.
I wonder......
If I tested the powerleap on another 166 pc and it boots up.....
or if it dosen't boot up....
It might just work.

I will go test my theory.

I will tell you the results.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 12:11:24 AM

That was a very good answer Tony
Powerleap provides only a board that has the correct voltages (using
volatge regulators)
and the multipliers
integrated to make it user friendly
The bios must still see the chip
It does not have to specify it properly but it must recognize it properly
No see no can do

I have never purchased one
I have played with them

I could etch a board similar to theirs for about 2 dollars
Soldering in all the pins to be used an an interposer for the cpu socket
would be kind of hard
If I checked out the pin spacing that may not be a problem as these pins are
available in a ready
made series
The voltage regulator and current requirements would have to be met

For the price they charge and what they give I have a hard time beleiving
that
they do not give the bios free
Mircrofirmaware would still be ok if Powerleap would have used them
Bios can be a lot cheaper when buying in mass
Then again there are a lot of computers and bioses

For the price they charge(Powerleap)
I would surely get another MB first
Cheap as can be on Ebay

Using a powerleap is like putting a 4 barrel on
a dodge slant six
More power yes
A lot
No
Still have a slant six (by the way that was a die hard engine)
Never going to be a V6 or V8 no matter how you upgrade

"tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
> which motherboard do you have a PB600 or PB640?
>
> If you have PB640 ........you will need the mr bios upgrade if you want to
> run an AMD K6 processor.....no if s about it....
>

> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
> speed:2.0)
> > It did not work.
> > what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
> >
> > what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

May 25, 2004 12:31:20 AM

I do have a PB 640 running an AMD k6 400...been running for years now....I
bought the Mr Bios update years ago also....

as fars as /6s.... only got V8s....340 360.... dont have the email
address of AARcuda for nothing...

tony

"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That was a very good answer Tony
> Powerleap provides only a board that has the correct voltages (using
> volatge regulators)
> and the multipliers
> integrated to make it user friendly
> The bios must still see the chip
> It does not have to specify it properly but it must recognize it properly
> No see no can do
>
> I have never purchased one
> I have played with them
>
> I could etch a board similar to theirs for about 2 dollars
> Soldering in all the pins to be used an an interposer for the cpu socket
> would be kind of hard
> If I checked out the pin spacing that may not be a problem as these pins
are
> available in a ready
> made series
> The voltage regulator and current requirements would have to be met
>
> For the price they charge and what they give I have a hard time beleiving
> that
> they do not give the bios free
> Mircrofirmaware would still be ok if Powerleap would have used them
> Bios can be a lot cheaper when buying in mass
> Then again there are a lot of computers and bioses
>
> For the price they charge(Powerleap)
> I would surely get another MB first
> Cheap as can be on Ebay
>

> Using a powerleap is like putting a 4 barrel on
> a dodge slant six
> More power yes
> A lot
> No
> Still have a slant six (by the way that was a die hard engine)
> Never going to be a V6 or V8 no matter how you upgrade
>

> "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
> > which motherboard do you have a PB600 or PB640?
> >
> > If you have PB640 ........you will need the mr bios upgrade if you want
> > run an AMD K6 processor.....no if s about it....
> >

> > "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > > okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus
> > speed:2.0)
> > > It did not work.
> > > what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?
> > >
> > > what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:31:29 AM

where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:33:53 AM

Well, Unicore now owns mrbios. Go to www.unicore.com . They have an on-line
form to request info about a BIOS upgrade, and a virtual monopoly on all BIOS
upgrades. Very frustrating that they do not have pricing for ANY of their
products... Ben Myers

On 24 May 2004 21:31:29 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:

>where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:31:28 PM

> Well, Unicore now owns mrbios. Go to www.unicore.com . They have
an on-line
> form to request info about a BIOS upgrade, and a virtual monopoly on
all BIOS
> upgrades. Very frustrating that they do not have pricing for ANY of
their
> products... Ben Myers
>
> On 24 May 2004 21:31:29 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
>
> >where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?

Last time I was there they did. But only on certain things. They want
you to fill out that form and then they email you to death when you
tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere. ha ha

I use to purchase from them all the time. Average price for a bios
chip in an anti-static bag with delivery is around $85 US
You can also just purchase the diskettes to do a bios flash for around
$55 US these prices can be higher or lower now since I have not been
there for quite some time.

Elector
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:39:58 PM

In the year 2004, those kinds of prices are completely unrealistic for add-ons
to Socket 7 computers, even if someone is totally in love with their old PB. I
am selling good quality refurb low-end Pentium 3 systems locally for under $200
with Win 98SE COA. I think that Unicore is ashamed to make their prices more
public for fear of well-deserved ridicule... Ben Myers

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:31:28 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> Well, Unicore now owns mrbios. Go to www.unicore.com . They have
>an on-line
>> form to request info about a BIOS upgrade, and a virtual monopoly on
>all BIOS
>> upgrades. Very frustrating that they do not have pricing for ANY of
>their
>> products... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 24 May 2004 21:31:29 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
>>
>> >where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?
>>

>Last time I was there they did. But only on certain things. They want
>you to fill out that form and then they email you to death when you
>tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere. ha ha
>
>I use to purchase from them all the time. Average price for a bios
>chip in an anti-static bag with delivery is around $85 US
>You can also just purchase the diskettes to do a bios flash for around
>$55 US these prices can be higher or lower now since I have not been
>there for quite some time.
>
>Elector

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:16:11 PM

> In the year 2004, those kinds of prices are completely unrealistic for
add-ons
> to Socket 7 computers, even if someone is totally in love with their old
PB. I
> am selling good quality refurb low-end Pentium 3 systems locally for under
$200
> with Win 98SE COA. I think that Unicore is ashamed to make their prices
more
> public for fear of well-deserved ridicule... Ben Myers

Unfortunately, that is the way of components. When the systems run anywhere
between $400-$500 for a brand new P4 Dell or even Gateway with CD/DVD Burner
and Flat panel monitor, the upgraded components still run hundreds of
dollars. I built my own computers for years and it costs me thousands of
dollars for the best components and devices and software. Good case in
point. Buy one of them new systems from CompUsa for $300 and you will spend
another $400 for Windows XP Home and or $600 for the full Windows XP Pro.
The software costs more than the system.

pitiful, but true.

Elector
May 26, 2004 1:17:03 AM

if some one was to email me ...and ask where they can find the bios...it
just might appear.....

> where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:12:05 PM

> if some one was to email me ...and ask where they can find the
bios...it
> just might appear.....

Unfortunately in this day and age of address harvesting it is not a
good idea to email a request or reply to anyone unless you have known
that person for a very long time. http://www.unicore.com/biosupgrades/
is where Mr. BIOS is located.

Elector
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 12:40:25 AM

BEANS!!! BEANS!!! BEANS!!!

I purchased the upgrade and followed the instructions then it happened.....

The cmos is corrupt.
now what?
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 2:40:30 PM

> BEANS!!! BEANS!!! BEANS!!!
>
> I purchased the upgrade and followed the instructions then it
happened.....

> The cmos is corrupt.
> now what?

See my other reply. Just remove the battery and then place it back in.
If there is a CMOS reset pins use them instead.

Elector
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:21:53 PM

I have the rest of the problems on the priority one support site under
hardware in the tech forum.
I don't want to type it out again so if oyu have a response to the
posting , either post it here or at priority one

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<yAjtc.14409$j24.8794@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> > BEANS!!! BEANS!!! BEANS!!!
> >
> > I purchased the upgrade and followed the instructions then it
> happened.....
> >
> > The cmos is corrupt.
> > now what?
>
> See my other reply. Just remove the battery and then place it back in.
> If there is a CMOS reset pins use them instead.
>
> Elector
May 29, 2004 11:43:59 AM

I believe it will tell you that after you flash the bios....just
reboot..........

!