slow pc on individual account

a b 8 Security
December 25, 2004 9:41:01 AM

Merry Christmas!
Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
(admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
crashes.
I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.

Any help?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 26, 2004 8:05:05 AM

Hi,
Merry Christmas to you too!

Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
Ad-aware SE from
http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&...
or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything bad,
let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.

You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
applications.

--
Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Merry Christmas!
Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
(admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
crashes.
I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.

Any help?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 26, 2004 8:05:06 AM

No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
locking and crashing.

"Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
> Merry Christmas to you too!
>
> Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
> Ad-aware SE from
> http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&...
> or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
> Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything bad,
> let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
>
> You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
> applications.
>
> --
> Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
> Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Merry Christmas!
> Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
> (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
> past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
> minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
> crashes.
> I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
>
> Any help?

a b 8 Security
December 27, 2004 4:57:16 AM

Hi again,
Try viewing the logs of her Event Viewer to see if there is an system or
application error. See - How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer
in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech

If you found any error (the recent one), take note of the Event ID and the
application that caused the error then visit
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/eventserrors.m... then select
Windows XP Home/Professional to start searching for the Event ID# that you
noted and this will allow you to find a possible solution or work-around.

--
No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
locking and crashing.

"Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
> Merry Christmas to you too!
>
> Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
> Ad-aware SE from
> http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&...
> or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
> Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything
> bad,
> let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
>
> You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
> applications.
>
> --
> Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
> Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Merry Christmas!
> Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
> (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for
> the
> past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
> minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
> crashes.
> I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
>
> Any help?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 27, 2004 12:35:04 PM

Hmm, that's turned out a little complicated. I got into Event Viewer but
couldn't make much sense of it, so don't quite know what to look up at
Microsoft.
BUT . . . strange thing: my daughter's account, when open, shows 100% cpu
usage on the Task Manager. If I switch her from Limited to Administrator, the
problem disappears. At least, it has done so far. Touch wood.
Does this suggest anything to you?
I'm really baffled, and I'd prefer to put her back to Limited if I can.

"Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi again,
> Try viewing the logs of her Event Viewer to see if there is an system or
> application error. See - How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer
> in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech
>
> If you found any error (the recent one), take note of the Event ID and the
> application that caused the error then visit
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/eventserrors.m... then select
> Windows XP Home/Professional to start searching for the Event ID# that you
> noted and this will allow you to find a possible solution or work-around.
>
> --
> Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
> Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
> hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
> locking and crashing.
>

> "Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Merry Christmas to you too!
> >
> > Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
> > Ad-aware SE from
> > http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&...
> > or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
> > Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything
> > bad,
> > let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
> >
> > You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
> > applications.
> >
> > --
> > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
> > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
> > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Merry Christmas!
> > Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
> > (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for
> > the
> > past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
> > minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
> > crashes.
> > I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
> >
> > Any help?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 31, 2004 1:05:25 PM

How about using taskman to selectively disable individual applications one
at a time and see what effect that has on cpu usage --- this could help
identify the guilty application.

!