slow pc on individual account

Merry Christmas!
Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
(admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
crashes.
I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.

Any help?
5 answers Last reply
More about slow individual account

    Hi,
    Merry Christmas to you too!

    Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
    Ad-aware SE from
    http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
    Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything bad,
    let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.

    You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
    applications.

    --
    Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Merry Christmas!
    Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
    (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
    past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
    minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
    crashes.
    I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.

    Any help?

    No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
    hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
    locking and crashing.

    "Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Merry Christmas to you too!
    >
    > Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
    > Ad-aware SE from
    > http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    > or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
    > Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything bad,
    > let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
    >
    > You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
    > applications.
    >
    > --
    > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Merry Christmas!
    > Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
    > (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for the
    > past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
    > minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
    > crashes.
    > I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
    >
    > Any help?

    Hi again,
    Try viewing the logs of her Event Viewer to see if there is an system or
    application error. See - How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer
    in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech

    If you found any error (the recent one), take note of the Event ID and the
    application that caused the error then visit
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/eventserrors.mspx then select
    Windows XP Home/Professional to start searching for the Event ID# that you
    noted and this will allow you to find a possible solution or work-around.

    --
    No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
    hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
    locking and crashing.

    "Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Merry Christmas to you too!
    >
    > Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
    > Ad-aware SE from
    > http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    > or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
    > Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything
    > bad,
    > let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
    >
    > You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
    > applications.
    >
    > --
    > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Merry Christmas!
    > Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
    > (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for
    > the
    > past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
    > minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
    > crashes.
    > I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
    >
    > Any help?

    Hmm, that's turned out a little complicated. I got into Event Viewer but
    couldn't make much sense of it, so don't quite know what to look up at
    Microsoft.
    BUT . . . strange thing: my daughter's account, when open, shows 100% cpu
    usage on the Task Manager. If I switch her from Limited to Administrator, the
    problem disappears. At least, it has done so far. Touch wood.
    Does this suggest anything to you?
    I'm really baffled, and I'd prefer to put her back to Limited if I can.

    "Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi again,
    > Try viewing the logs of her Event Viewer to see if there is an system or
    > application error. See - How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer
    > in Windows XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech
    >
    > If you found any error (the recent one), take note of the Event ID and the
    > application that caused the error then visit
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/eventserrors.mspx then select
    > Windows XP Home/Professional to start searching for the Event ID# that you
    > noted and this will allow you to find a possible solution or work-around.
    >
    > --
    > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > No go, I'm afraid. I've used Ad-aware and Spybot as well as anti-virus. It
    > hasn't made any difference. My account is fine, my daughter's just keep
    > locking and crashing.
    >

    > "Donna Buenaventura [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > Merry Christmas to you too!
    > >
    > > Find out if a spyware causes the slowness issue by downloading/installing
    > > Ad-aware SE from
    > > http://download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    > > or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
    > > Update the program prior running a full scan mode. If it find anything
    > > bad,
    > > let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
    > >
    > > You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
    > > applications.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    > > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    > > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Merry Christmas!
    > > Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
    > > (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for
    > > the
    > > past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close - several
    > > minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up and/or
    > > crashes.
    > > I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.
    > >
    > > Any help?

    How about using taskman to selectively disable individual applications one
    at a time and see what effect that has on cpu usage --- this could help
    identify the guilty application.

> [...]
    >> > let it quarantine the files. Reboot to see if there's any improvement.
    >> >
    >> > You might want also to reduce the startup items for unnecessary
    >> > applications.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Donna Buenaventura (MVP Windows Security)
    >> > Calendar of Updates (http://cou.dozleng.com)
    >> > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Merry Christmas!
    >> > Here's the prob: I've got two accounts on my pc (WinXPHome). My account
    >> > (admistrator) is working fine. But my daughter's has been very slow for
    >> > the
    >> > past week. Files take a long time to open, even longer to close -
    >> > several
    >> > minutes). If she tries to open more than one window the pc locks up
    >> > and/or
    >> > crashes.
    >> > I've done a thorough virus check, but no change.

Security Microsoft Windows XP