One PC / Multiple Users newbie help needed

I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user accounts,
each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.

My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS ??

I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are visible on
folder properties.

Andrew.
4 answers Last reply
More about multiple users newbie needed

    sandy wrote:

    > I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user
    > accounts, each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.
    >
    > My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS
    > ??
    >
    > I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are
    > visible on folder properties.
    >
    > Andrew.

    Yes. You are correct that the partition needs to be formatted ntfs. In
    addition, in Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    sandy wrote:
    > I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user accounts,
    > each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.
    >
    > My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS ??
    >
    > I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are visible on
    > folder properties.
    >
    > Andrew.

    Yes, the hard drive partitions in question would have to be using the
    NTFS file system. FAT32 has *no* security capabilities.

    You can safely convert the partition to NTFS whenever desired,
    without having to format the partition and reinstall everything. As
    always when performing any serious changes, back up any important data
    before proceeding, just in case. A little advance preparation is also
    strongly recommended, so you can avoid any performance hits caused by
    the default cluster size:

    Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: