One PC / Multiple Users newbie help needed

December 26, 2004 5:33:44 PM

I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user accounts,
each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.

My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS ??

I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are visible on
folder properties.

Andrew.
December 26, 2004 5:33:45 PM

sandy wrote:

> I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user
> accounts, each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.
>
> My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS
> ??
>
> I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are
> visible on folder properties.
>
> Andrew.

Yes. You are correct that the partition needs to be formatted ntfs. In
addition, in Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

sandy wrote:
> I have one PC with XP Pro, but wish to have several different user accounts,
> each with permissions to access certain files / apps only.
>
> My newbie question is; to do the above would the disk have to be NTFS ??
>
> I tried this with a FAT32 partition, but no permissions tabs are visible on
> folder properties.
>
> Andrew.

Yes, the hard drive partitions in question would have to be using the
NTFS file system. FAT32 has *no* security capabilities.

You can safely convert the partition to NTFS whenever desired,
without having to format the partition and reinstall everything. As
always when performing any serious changes, back up any important data
before proceeding, just in case. A little advance preparation is also
strongly recommended, so you can avoid any performance hits caused by
the default cluster size:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: