Windows firewall won't stay on

Windows firewall does not stay on. I have set the firewall to be on many
many times, but for some reason every so often I will get a Security
Center alert saying that the firewall is off. Also, it does not stay on
after a restart - I have to turn it on every time I restart Windows. This
does not happen at the office where my computer has XP professional. Is
there a setting to change to stop this from happening?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows firewall stay

    Joseph Flynn wrote:

    > Windows firewall does not stay on. I have set the firewall to be on
    > many many times, but for some reason every so often I will get a
    > Security Center alert saying that the firewall is off. Also, it does
    > not stay on after a restart - I have to turn it on every time I
    > restart Windows. This does not happen at the office where my computer
    > has XP professional. Is there a setting to change to stop this from
    > happening?

    Do you know if the computer is 100% spyware and virus-free? If you
    aren't sure, here are general malware removal steps. If you feel your
    computer is clean, then what did you use to determine this? Also, do
    you have a third-party firewall installed?

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks! I have done most of those things - I use Norton AV and Spybot
    Search & Destroy regularly, and I run a 3rd party firewall in addition to
    the Windows firewall. Had some issues with IE being hijacked a few months
    ago so we stopped using it (did try HijackThis also, but only once).

    Any specific suggestions about keeping Windows fiewall turned on?

    Thanks,

    Joseph

    In article <uvzK7346EHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    malke@nospoonnotreally.com says...

> [...]
    >all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).
    >
    >HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    >it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    >of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    >homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    >help with it.
    >
    >3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    >Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    >must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    >the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    >Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).
    >
    >4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    >patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

Firewalls Security Microsoft Windows XP