networking laptop and desktop

I have a desktop at home running windows XP pro that connects to the internet through cable modem through a router. I aslo have a laptop with xp pro that connects the the same router with a wireless card. I want to know if it is possible to share files between the two without having to run the internet through one of them. If the internet goes through one, then that one has to be on to access the internet for the other one. I want them to continue to connect seperately but share files between them. Any help would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about networking laptop desktop

    You can share files between them easily. It should just work after running
    the network setup wizard on each computer.

    Could you please re-word the question. It is a little hard to understand
    what you are asking about the internet access.
    You say that you want them to connect seperatly. This is simply done by
    installing another modem into the 2nd computer. Files will automatically run
    through your wireless network and internet (when set up to not use the
    network for internet access) will automatically run through the 2nd modem.

    If you are using a broadband router with NAT ability, then if the router is
    turned on and connected then each computer will use the router for internet
    access and not require the 1st computer to be turned on.

    Ray Taylor
    administrator@kaycee.co.nz

    "turdfergeson" <turdfergeson1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop at home running windows XP pro that connects to the
    internet through cable modem through a router. I aslo have a laptop with xp
    pro that connects the the same router with a wireless card. I want to know
    if it is possible to share files between the two without having to run the
    internet through one of them. If the internet goes through one, then that
    one has to be on to access the internet for the other one. I want them to
    continue to connect seperately but share files between them. Any help would
    be appreciated.

    Hello there,

    your question is a little confusing, but both PCs seem to be connected to the same router through a cable modem which should give them access to the
    internet. So if both PCs are getting an IP lease from the same router and they are in the same subnet (i.e. can ping each other by IP); then you should be able to
    share files between them. Make sure that both are part of the same workgroup and have File & Print sharing and Client for MS Network installed besides
    TCP/IP.

    --
    Sergio Moreno
    Microsoft Windows Networking

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Desktops Networking Internet Wireless Networking