networking laptop and desktop

I have a desktop at home running windows XP pro that connects to the internet through cable modem through a router. I aslo have a laptop with xp pro that connects the the same router with a wireless card. I want to know if it is possible to share files between the two without having to run the internet through one of them. If the internet goes through one, then that one has to be on to access the internet for the other one. I want them to continue to connect seperately but share files between them. Any help would be appreciated.

You can share files between them easily. It should just work after running
the network setup wizard on each computer.

Could you please re-word the question. It is a little hard to understand
what you are asking about the internet access.
You say that you want them to connect seperatly. This is simply done by
installing another modem into the 2nd computer. Files will automatically run
through your wireless network and internet (when set up to not use the
network for internet access) will automatically run through the 2nd modem.

If you are using a broadband router with NAT ability, then if the router is
turned on and connected then each computer will use the router for internet
access and not require the 1st computer to be turned on.

Ray Taylor
administrator@kaycee.co.nz

"turdfergeson" <turdfergeson1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a desktop at home running windows XP pro that connects to the
internet through cable modem through a router. I aslo have a laptop with xp
pro that connects the the same router with a wireless card. I want to know
if it is possible to share files between the two without having to run the
internet through one of them. If the internet goes through one, then that
one has to be on to access the internet for the other one. I want them to
continue to connect seperately but share files between them. Any help would
be appreciated.

Hello there,

your question is a little confusing, but both PCs seem to be connected to the same router through a cable modem which should give them access to the
internet. So if both PCs are getting an IP lease from the same router and they are in the same subnet (i.e. can ping each other by IP); then you should be able to
share files between them. Make sure that both are part of the same workgroup and have File & Print sharing and Client for MS Network installed besides
TCP/IP.

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.