Intel Reveals More on Haswell 22 nm CPU Coming 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Standby by connectivity of ten days for a laptop, sounds crazy cool. Might have to buy another laptop with advances like that.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]Glad to see Intel making technology upgrade n such but to bad i hate them due to their dirty practices.[/citation]

So, who in the computing industry has a clean record?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]...and the wait for Bulldozer continues.[/citation]

If I was CEO of AMD right now, I'd fire myself, talk about mismanagement.

G

Connected standby. As if I need to receive email WHEN THE LAPTOP IS ESSENTIALLY TURNED OFF. You know, I could receive all of my email all at once when it wakes up...

Think long and hard about that one, fanboys, before you start drooling over the latest PR.

If anything, this is probably designed to be used with Microsoft's NSA_KEY 2012 Professional Edition, since it has no obvious use for the owner of the computer...

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]dilbert[/nom]But most of "today's smartphones" have a battery life of less than 24 hours.[/citation]

True, but irrelevant. Most of todays laptops have batteries that are the size of a smartphone or even bigger.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]AMD should skip a generation just so they can keep Intel on their toes. Still I hope bulldozer performs well for it's price[/citation]
AMD doesn't need to skip a generation. That's a foolish idea and will take even longer to dish out a new CPU (BD has been delayed many times, so why would delaying even more be a good idea?). Bulldozer is meant to compete with SB. However, on the BD Rumors thread, someone claimed to have met one of the guys from the OC world record who helped choose the chips. He said Ivy Bridge is going to have some competition. I doubt this though, but I could be wrong. Anyway, why should AMD worry about Haswell? They have Trinity for coming up next year. Plus, Haswell isn't for desktop use (unfortunately).

[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... and what will intel do about GPU?[/citation]

IIRC Intel had a slide earlier this year stating something like "7X" the GPU performance of Sandy Bridge's HD 3000, so I'd guess you could play games at decent settings on it and still get decent fps. Supposedly Ivy Bridge will have up to 60% performance increase over Sandy Bridge, so this would be something like 4X IB's GPU perf.

I think Intel will be using stacked DDR3 memory on top of the die, with low latency and huge bandwidth - they are already working on 3D memory with the same stacking and silicon thru via's for connection.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Abdullahg[/nom]AMD doesn't need to skip a generation. That's a foolish idea and will take even longer to dish out a new CPU (BD has been delayed many times, so why would delaying even more be a good idea?). Bulldozer is meant to compete with SB. However, on the BD Rumors thread, someone claimed to have met one of the guys from the OC world record who helped choose the chips. He said Ivy Bridge is going to have some competition. I doubt this though, but I could be wrong. Anyway, why should AMD worry about Haswell? They have Trinity for coming up next year. Plus, Haswell isn't for desktop use (unfortunately).[/citation]

Just because they are focusing on power management in Haswell doesn't mean it won't have performance gains. If Haswell wasn't for desktops they would fall behind in the server market for 2 years because then Broadwell wouldn't be "for desktops" too, and Intel has a lot of oomph in the server market they don't want to lose with specialized chips for laptops over 2 years.

[citation][nom]Abdullahg[/nom]AMD doesn't need to skip a generation. That's a foolish idea and will take even longer to dish out a new CPU (BD has been delayed many times, so why would delaying even more be a good idea?). Bulldozer is meant to compete with SB. However, on the BD Rumors thread, someone claimed to have met one of the guys from the OC world record who helped choose the chips. He said Ivy Bridge is going to have some competition. I doubt this though, but I could be wrong. Anyway, why should AMD worry about Haswell? They have Trinity for coming up next year. Plus, Haswell isn't for desktop use (unfortunately).[/citation]

This right here is incorrect. Haswell is the codename, just like Sandy Bridge, for a new arch using the 22nm process that Ivy bridge will debut. That means there will be Desktop, server and mobile variants.

As for BD competing with IB, I doubt it. I don't think BD will push SB enough.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]...and the wait for Bulldozer continues.[/citation]

I agree. So far we have preliminary (yet with a buggy BIOS) SB-E performance numbers and that wont be out until November this year, we have tons of info on IB and are starting to get info on Haswell. I wouldn't be suprised if Intel doesn't show Haswell off in May next year like they did for Ivy Bridge.

Just begs the question as to why AMD is keeping it so closed doors.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
We need bulldozer now - I hope its an absolute brute of a CPU that sticks its middle finger up to power savings but absolutely rocks the socks of SB with 8 cores that can overclock to the max for the power users out there.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]IIRC Intel had a slide earlier this year stating something like "7X" the GPU performance of Sandy Bridge's HD 3000, so I'd guess you could play games at decent settings on it and still get decent fps. Supposedly Ivy Bridge will have up to 60% performance increase over Sandy Bridge, so this would be something like 4X IB's GPU perf.I think Intel will be using stacked DDR3 memory on top of the die, with low latency and huge bandwidth - they are already working on 3D memory with the same stacking and silicon thru via's for connection.[/citation]
at the time intel HD graphic able to handle stupid fb games right, AMD APU already can handle crisis 3 in high setting and nvidia tegra 3 will come into laptop market ......

Status
Not open for further replies.