Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IPAQ 4150 - SD card corruption problems

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems, however
recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL! - I
don't know exactly when this happens but it is usually after i've sync'd and
removed the ipaq from the cradle or after some normal program installation.
On inspection of the SD card using the IPAQ file manager the only folders
that remain are the Journa Bar cache, Inbox directory, temporary internet
file and history. However when i look at the capacity of the card being
reported it still appears as though all the files/folders are on the card. I
plugged the SD card into my card reader and could see all the files - put it
back in the ipaq - NO files visible except for those mentioned above -
STRANGE.

This problem initially started whilst using a standard cheapo 256MB card -
however i've also now seen the same on my new 512 mb sandisk card.

To confuse matters further, today i just did a soft reset to see if the data
might come back - it didn't. However after accessing a few programs stored
on the IPAQ main memory and then looking at the storage card it appears that
99% of the programs are now back and fully functional!!???

The only thing i'm doing out of the ordinary recently is backing up my SD
card directly to the PC via a card reader - i figured that there is no need
to go thru the activesync conversion if the files are directly copied to the
PC from the card and vice-versa.

I know that there is an SDIO issue with other IPAQs but haven't seen any
posts about this concerning the 4150.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards

Raj
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:56:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"RajC" <raj(removethis...)@thechauhans(andthis).f9.co.uk> wrote:

>I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems, however
>recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL! - I
>don't know exactly when this happens but it is usually after i've sync'd and
>removed the ipaq from the cradle or after some normal program installation.
>On inspection of the SD card using the IPAQ file manager the only folders
>that remain are the Journa Bar cache, Inbox directory, temporary internet
>file and history. However when i look at the capacity of the card being
>reported it still appears as though all the files/folders are on the card. I
>plugged the SD card into my card reader and could see all the files - put it
>back in the ipaq - NO files visible except for those mentioned above -
>STRANGE.

Why is your Temporary Internet Files folder on your SD card? And when
you say Inbox Directory, you mean attachments or did you move
everything?

If you've got a registry hacking program moving this stuff over there,
try moving it back where it belongs. I've seen reports of one registry
hacking program that moves stuff to the SD card and users report data
loss on the SD card. It may be unrelated, but it is a place to start
testing.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
April 20, 2004 1:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

check out http://sdprob.aximsite.com for issues with SD cards on all
devices....


"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:sbh780db9fqfovhfno2e24fqhf05e5n925@4ax.com...
> "RajC" <raj(removethis...)@thechauhans(andthis).f9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems,
however
> >recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL! - I
> >don't know exactly when this happens but it is usually after i've sync'd
and
> >removed the ipaq from the cradle or after some normal program
installation.
> >On inspection of the SD card using the IPAQ file manager the only folders
> >that remain are the Journa Bar cache, Inbox directory, temporary internet
> >file and history. However when i look at the capacity of the card being
> >reported it still appears as though all the files/folders are on the
card. I
> >plugged the SD card into my card reader and could see all the files - put
it
> >back in the ipaq - NO files visible except for those mentioned above -
> >STRANGE.
>
> Why is your Temporary Internet Files folder on your SD card? And when
> you say Inbox Directory, you mean attachments or did you move
> everything?
>
> If you've got a registry hacking program moving this stuff over there,
> try moving it back where it belongs. I've seen reports of one registry
> hacking program that moves stuff to the SD card and users report data
> loss on the SD card. It may be unrelated, but it is a place to start
> testing.
> --
>
____________________________________________________________________________
______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Related resources
April 20, 2004 1:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

check out http://sdprob.aximsite.com for issues with SD cards on all
devices....


"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:sbh780db9fqfovhfno2e24fqhf05e5n925@4ax.com...
> "RajC" <raj(removethis...)@thechauhans(andthis).f9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems,
however
> >recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL! - I
> >don't know exactly when this happens but it is usually after i've sync'd
and
> >removed the ipaq from the cradle or after some normal program
installation.
> >On inspection of the SD card using the IPAQ file manager the only folders
> >that remain are the Journa Bar cache, Inbox directory, temporary internet
> >file and history. However when i look at the capacity of the card being
> >reported it still appears as though all the files/folders are on the
card. I
> >plugged the SD card into my card reader and could see all the files - put
it
> >back in the ipaq - NO files visible except for those mentioned above -
> >STRANGE.
>
> Why is your Temporary Internet Files folder on your SD card? And when
> you say Inbox Directory, you mean attachments or did you move
> everything?
>
> If you've got a registry hacking program moving this stuff over there,
> try moving it back where it belongs. I've seen reports of one registry
> hacking program that moves stuff to the SD card and users report data
> loss on the SD card. It may be unrelated, but it is a place to start
> testing.
> --
>
____________________________________________________________________________
______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:10:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I use RescuePro all the time and it almost always finds the problem, you can
download the demo or full version here:
http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro.htm

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer
www.pdasquare.com
Redmond, WA



"Andrew" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23lXzKHuJEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> check out http://sdprob.aximsite.com for issues with SD cards on all
> devices....
>
>
> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> news:sbh780db9fqfovhfno2e24fqhf05e5n925@4ax.com...
>> "RajC" <raj(removethis...)@thechauhans(andthis).f9.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems,
> however
>> >recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL! -
>> >I
>> >don't know exactly when this happens but it is usually after i've sync'd
> and
>> >removed the ipaq from the cradle or after some normal program
> installation.
>> >On inspection of the SD card using the IPAQ file manager the only
>> >folders
>> >that remain are the Journa Bar cache, Inbox directory, temporary
>> >internet
>> >file and history. However when i look at the capacity of the card being
>> >reported it still appears as though all the files/folders are on the
> card. I
>> >plugged the SD card into my card reader and could see all the files -
>> >put
> it
>> >back in the ipaq - NO files visible except for those mentioned above -
>> >STRANGE.
>>
>> Why is your Temporary Internet Files folder on your SD card? And when
>> you say Inbox Directory, you mean attachments or did you move
>> everything?
>>
>> If you've got a registry hacking program moving this stuff over there,
>> try moving it back where it belongs. I've seen reports of one registry
>> hacking program that moves stuff to the SD card and users report data
>> loss on the SD card. It may be unrelated, but it is a place to start
>> testing.
>> --
>>
> ____________________________________________________________________________
> ______
>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
>> all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
>
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:03:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

RajC wrote:
> I've been using an IPAQ 4150 for the last 4 months with no problems, however
> recently i've noticed that occasionally, my SD card contents go AWOL!

I made a post about a similar problem a couple of weeks ago.

I have an iPAQ H4150 and worked out that by simply running ANY mp3
player software from the SD card I could completely corrupt the card
consistently, every time. I don't see this as a fault of the software
itself, but rather the software exposing a flaw in the operating system
or the SD drivers.

Moving the software to the main memory stopped the corruption.

This only ever occurs when more than 50% of the SD storage space is
occupied. This can catch you out month later down the line as data
builds up to the critical point.

This was on a Kingston 256 MB card. I have yet to test on my new Sandisk
1 GB card.

Nikki
!