Files that install themselves?

I have the following files that install themselves in the root of the
following drives that I have.
arun.exe
autorun.inf
install.exe
setup32.exe
update32.exe
In addition I did a search and the same files install themselves in the
bullitproof and quicken directories i C:.
I will delete them and in a couple of hours they are all back.I have run
virus checks with Norton,Spysweeper,TrojanHunter and Spybot but nothing
shows up.This has been going on for about 3 weeks.Help.
2 answers Last reply
More about files install themselves

    Max wrote:

    > I have the following files that install themselves in the root of the
    > following drives that I have.
    > arun.exe
    > autorun.inf
    > install.exe
    > setup32.exe
    > update32.exe
    > In addition I did a search and the same files install themselves in
    > the bullitproof and quicken directories i C:.
    > I will delete them and in a couple of hours they are all back.I have
    > run virus checks with Norton,Spysweeper,TrojanHunter and Spybot but
    > nothing shows up.This has been going on for about 3 weeks.Help.

    You may have run scans, but some malware is still on your computer and
    is still spawning cr*p. Go through the following removal steps. Make
    sure all tools are updated and that you run all scans in Safe Mode.

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    You might want to start here:

    http://tinyurl.com/4vf87

    As suggested, turn off System Restore and run the free online
    scan here:

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    "Max" <rk330@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have the following files that install themselves in the root
    >of the following drives that I have.
    > arun.exe
    > autorun.inf
    > install.exe
    > setup32.exe
    > update32.exe
    > In addition I did a search and the same files install
    > themselves in the bullitproof and quicken directories i C:.
    > I will delete them and in a couple of hours they are all back.I
    > have run virus checks with Norton,Spysweeper,TrojanHunter and
    > Spybot but nothing shows up.This has been going on for about 3
    > weeks.Help.

Windows XP