Strange Smell with New ATI 9600 Pro

I recently got a new video card (Powercolor ATI 9600 Pro) and since then I
have had a strange smell
from my pc. It is kindof like strong odor of plastic, but it also could be
dust that has gotten hot/burned and is giving off a smell. It IS strongest
when I put my nose by the new vid card. Could it just be "breaking it in"?

The smell is strongest when I first start up the comp, but it stays around
pretty much the whole time it's on. There isn't any over heating going on,
I have checked that. It is coming from my computer (there's no where else
it could be from). Everything with the computer is working fine.

I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have any
others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004

I bought my 9800 pro about a month ago and for about 2 days, I smelled the
same, hot, burning plastic smell. It has since stopped and I can only
assume, since it is 1) NOT over clocked, and 2) there are 6 fans, not
counting the one on the gpu there is no over heating issues. Plus my Asus
probe doesn't sense any over heating issues. Not to mention I still get kick
ass frame rates playing BF, DC,MOH., quake III, and other high end games. I
would say dont worry especially if you can touch the card ;)

{SFU}Xeon

In article <7Zpgc.14456$635.5965@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>,
john@jgeimaging.com (Xeon) wrote:

> I bought my 9800 pro about a month ago and for about 2 days, I
> smelled the same, hot, burning plastic smell

IME it's not unusual for new electrical devices -- especially hot ones --
to make a distinctive "stuff evaporating off a fresh circuit board" smell.
I assume this is the same thing, so it ought to go away after a few days.

Andrew McP

I rebuilt a computer for a guy last year and you wouldn't believe the dust
in it. The guy smoked and even though I cleaned the dust out, having the
computer running in my basement made the whole room smell like smoke to the
point my wife accused me of starting smoking again and not going outside. I
wouldn't worry about the plastic smell as long as it goes away in a few
days, I've noticed it before, one time as soon as I opened the staic wrap
the smell was awful but it went away.

Mike

"Mista Fadedglory" <mfg@yomama.com> wrote in message
> I recently got a new video card (Powercolor ATI 9600 Pro) and since then I
> have had a strange smell
> from my pc. It is kindof like strong odor of plastic, but it also could
be
> dust that has gotten hot/burned and is giving off a smell. It IS
strongest
> when I put my nose by the new vid card. Could it just be "breaking it
in"?

> The smell is strongest when I first start up the comp, but it stays around
> pretty much the whole time it's on. There isn't any over heating going
on,
> I have checked that. It is coming from my computer (there's no where else
> it could be from). Everything with the computer is working fine.
>
> I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have any
> others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?

"Mista Fadedglory" <mfg@yomama.com> wrote in message
> I recently got a new video card (Powercolor ATI 9600 Pro) and since then I
> have had a strange smell

Like John said, Powercolor DO use some really cheap/dried out thermal
compound on the gpu. My advice is: Take out the card, remove heatsink/fan.
Clean the bottom plate with nailpolish remover, do the same to the gpu,
carefully. Then apply some paste to it, and reinsert the heatsink. You
should be fine none the less.

> I recently got a new video card (Powercolor ATI 9600 Pro) and since then I
> have had a strange smell

It's PCB and similar anti-fire-coating material.... It also fries your
brain..
So you either have: Fire in da house |OR| fried brain. Take your pick :)

best regards
Thomas

"dk_sz" <dk_sz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

" It's PCB and similar anti-fire-coating material.... It also fries your
brain. So you either have: Fire in da house |OR| fried brain. Take your pick
:) "

This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs......