Major Problems with Windows XP

December 27, 2004 5:38:38 PM

I have got some major problems with XP and was hoping someone could give me
some pointers.

I am currently running Windows XP SP 1. Please note that I am the only user
on this computer and have administrator rights. Here are my problems:

1. I can't update my computer. It will download 9 critical updates and
will seem to update fine but it never actually updates the computer. When I
reboot the same 9 updates want to be installed.

2. I can't edit my regestry. When I run regedit it does nothing.

3. Also when I try to run "System Configuration Manager" nothing happens
also.

4. I have loaded antivirus software and cleaned off my comptuer so viruses
are not the issue.

5. Also I have tried to move back in time and restore my computer to a
newer date but it comes back and says that it will not restore back to an
older date.

6. I have tried everything to download and update to Service Pack 2 but
there is no where on Microsofts web site that I can simply download SP2.
You have to go throught the Update routine... unfortunately my update
routine can't get pass the 9 updates that it will not load.

As you can see I am majorly stuck. Any suggestions?

More about : major problems windows

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:27:20 PM

Toby D wrote:
> I have got some major problems with XP and was hoping someone could give me
> some pointers.
>
> I am currently running Windows XP SP 1. Please note that I am the only user
> on this computer and have administrator rights. Here are my problems:
>
> 1. I can't update my computer. It will download 9 critical updates and
> will seem to update fine but it never actually updates the computer. When I
> reboot the same 9 updates want to be installed.

Have you tried downloading and installing them singly? Also, some
viruses prevent updates from installing.

> 2. I can't edit my regestry. When I run regedit it does nothing.
>
> 3. Also when I try to run "System Configuration Manager" nothing happens
> also.

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
on-line scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...

> 4. I have loaded antivirus software and cleaned off my comptuer so viruses
> are not the issue.

How sure are you? Modern viruses disable many common antivirus
applications.

> 5. Also I have tried to move back in time and restore my computer to a
> newer date but it comes back and says that it will not restore back to an
> older date.
>
> 6. I have tried everything to download and update to Service Pack 2 but
> there is no where on Microsofts web site that I can simply download SP2.
> You have to go throught the Update routine... unfortunately my update
> routine can't get pass the 9 updates that it will not load.

I don't think it will help, as your problems are almost certainly
virus-related, but I could be wrong.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 10:46:45 AM

"Toby D" <5robinsons@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have got some major problems with XP and was hoping someone could give me some
>pointers.
>
> I am currently running Windows XP SP 1. Please note that I am the only user on
> this computer and have administrator rights. Here are my problems:
>
> 1. I can't update my computer. It will download 9 critical updates and will seem
> to update fine but it never actually updates the computer. When I reboot the same
> 9 updates want to be installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs "Digital Signature not found"
When you use the Windows Update Web site to install updates, the installation fails
and the Windows Update.log file contains error 80070643.

Windows Update Is Not Installed - WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811269
You are using a version of the AOL software earlier than AOL 8.0 Plus.

Windows Update Troubleshooter
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
Updates fail to install and you receive error message 0x80070643 - WinXP

You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166

> 2. I can't edit my regestry. When I run regedit it does nothing.
These viruses terminate Regedit.exe and taskmgr.exe
W32.HLLW.Kefy:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
W32.HLLW.Cydog@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
Backdoor.IRC.Yoink.A:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
Backdoor.Volac.dr:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
W32.Kwbot.R.Worm:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kwbot.r....

These viruses delete the Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe, Taskmgr.exe
W32.Petch.B:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b....
W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

If you are sure you don't have a virus, then see this link:
Lift Restrictions - Task Manager, Regedit and CMD (Line 275)

> 3. Also when I try to run "System Configuration Manager" nothing happens also.
>
> 4. I have loaded antivirus software and cleaned off my comptuer so viruses are not
> the issue.

Some viruses actually attack your anti virus software.
Perhaps an online security/virus check
Symantec
http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&...
Trend Micro House Call:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Panda ActiveScan;
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...
McAfee FreeScan:
Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
BitDefender Online Scan:

> 5. Also I have tried to move back in time and restore my computer to a newer date
> but it comes back and says that it will not restore back to an older date.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796
Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

System Restore FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283096
Improper Shutdown May Affect System Restore

> 6. I have tried everything to download and update to Service Pack 2 but there is
> no where on Microsofts web site that I can simply download SP2. You have to go
> throught the Update routine... unfortunately my update routine can't get pass the 9
> updates that it will not load.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
Windows XP Service Pack 2

> As you can see I am majorly stuck. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:25:21 AM

Wow! I think I am going to back up my data and start over. Seems like way
to much trouble and a lot easier to format my hard drive and start over.

Thanks for all the help

!