Old P1's and old Xpert video card help needed

I have four older pc's around the house used by my kids etc. for word
processing and simpler games. A P90, P120, Cyrix 120 all clones and a IBM
P100.

I came across a used old pci based Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI video card that's
actually listed under displays.txt as one that would work for dual display
to use alongside my Radeon 7200. It worked no problem, only needing the 98SE
cd for appropriate driver. Also has the benifit that it not being a 3d
accelerated card means it doesn't need or use any IRQ (which the Xpert
always shared with the Radeon, couldn't stop it doing that no matter what!).

That's allowed me to pull the old Xpert98 I was previously using out of the
system and I can finally update drivers etc. for the Radeon without it
screwing up because of the second ATI card in the system.

My question concerns this old Xpert98.

The only older pc that seems to want to power up the card (as the only card
in system) is the IBM (which already has a Xpert??? in it). The display is
"dead" with no signal to the monitor when the card is put in any of the
other listed pc's.

I was hoping to put it in the P120, replacing a non-accelerated card so it'd
be spruced up at least a bit.

What don't I know that I should about this? Anyone with any insight into
this?

tia, pjp

There are probably either BIOS settings that have to be made or, even
trickier, some jumpers that would need to be reconfigured for the older
boards to use the card.

Jim

"pjp" <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
>I have four older pc's around the house used by my kids etc. for word
> processing and simpler games. A P90, P120, Cyrix 120 all clones and a IBM
> P100.
>
> I came across a used old pci based Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI video card that's
> actually listed under displays.txt as one that would work for dual display
> to use alongside my Radeon 7200. It worked no problem, only needing the
> 98SE
> cd for appropriate driver. Also has the benifit that it not being a 3d
> accelerated card means it doesn't need or use any IRQ (which the Xpert
> always shared with the Radeon, couldn't stop it doing that no matter
> what!).
>
> That's allowed me to pull the old Xpert98 I was previously using out of
> the
> system and I can finally update drivers etc. for the Radeon without it
> screwing up because of the second ATI card in the system.
>
> My question concerns this old Xpert98.
>
> The only older pc that seems to want to power up the card (as the only
> card
> in system) is the IBM (which already has a Xpert??? in it). The display is
> "dead" with no signal to the monitor when the card is put in any of the
> other listed pc's.
>
> I was hoping to put it in the P120, replacing a non-accelerated card so
> it'd
> be spruced up at least a bit.
>
> What don't I know that I should about this? Anyone with any insight into
> this?
>
> tia, pjp

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

If the Expert98 has a "VGA IRQ" jumper on it, make sure it is enabled. I
know ATI did this with some of their cards at the time.

bye, Rick