Change Computer Name Remotely

Is there a way, possibly through scripting, to change the computer name on an
XP computer remotely? The computers in our company are on a domain, and
their addresses register automatically in DNS. They have DHCP addresses.
Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about change computer remotely

    A computer name, locally or remotely, cannot simply be changed while the
    machine is still part of a Windows domain. It must be unjoined (to a
    workgroup) before this is supported.

    "Amanda George" wrote:

    > Is there a way, possibly through scripting, to change the computer name on an
    > XP computer remotely? The computers in our company are on a domain, and
    > their addresses register automatically in DNS. They have DHCP addresses.
    > Any ideas?

    Thank you for your response.

    Desmond Lee wrote:

    > A computer name, locally or remotely, cannot simply be changed while the
    > machine is still part of a Windows domain. It must be unjoined (to a
    > workgroup) before this is supported.
    Hi

    This is not correct, you can rename the computer without unjoining it first.

    If you have access to a Windows 2003 Server CD, get the netdom.exe that is in
    the "Support Tools" install, and take a look at the RENAMECOMPUTER parameter.

    Netdom.exe from this kit can be used for Win2k, WinXP as well as Win2k3.

    It also looks like the netdom.exe that comes with the updated WinXP SP2
    version of support tools have this setting included now.

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38

    C:\>C:\Win2k3SupportTools\Netdom.exe HELP RENAMECOMPUTER
    The syntax of this command is:

    NETDOM RENAMECOMPUTER machine /NewName:new-name
    /UserD:user [/PasswordD:[password | *]]
    [/UserO:user [/PasswordO:[password | *]]]
    [/Force]
    [/REBoot[:Time in seconds]]

    NETDOM RENAMECOMPUTER renames a computer that is joined to a domain. The
    computer object in the domain is also renamed. Certain services, such as the
    Certificate Authority, rely on a fixed machine name. If any services of this
    type are running on the target computer, then a computer name change would
    have an adverse impact. This command should not be used to rename a domain
    controller.
    (snip)

    With VBScript, you can also use the Rename method in WMI class
    Win32_ComputerSystem (not remotely though)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/rename_method_in_class_win32_computersystem.asp

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Computers Microsoft Windows XP