AIW R-5700 field order is hardcoded!

I just bought a new ATI AIW Radeon 7500 card. I've downloaded and
installed latest drivers, along with MMC 8.9 (even though some of my
splash screens say 8.1 on them!).

Capturing analog video signals from VCR, the MMC TV software captures
field order B ... without giving me any chance to specify whether I
want FO-A or FO-B. Another capture software I have on my PC, Ulead's
Video Studio 7, DOES let me choose (between progressive source, FO-A,
and FO-B).

Some people have told me that the field order is "hardware-encoded" on
the AIW cards and that is why MMC does not let me choose the setting.
This would not appear to be correct, to me, since the VS7 software
does let me choose the setting.

Anyone here know the REAL answer to this question? Is it somehow set
in the hardware? If not, why is it hardcoded in the MMC software?

And if it IS "hardcoded" in the AIW hardware ... then why doesn't ATI
document which field order is dictated, so I can set it correctly when
using capture software other than MMC?!?!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:18:18 GMT, Adam White
<adam.white@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Some people have told me that the field order is "hardware-encoded" on
>the AIW cards and that is why MMC does not let me choose the setting.

AFAIK the field order is always determined by the capture hardware.
ATI Radeons (and most other analog capture cards) are upper field first.
Firewire transfer is supposed to be lower field first.

>This would not appear to be correct, to me, since the VS7 software
>does let me choose the setting.

It lets you choose (but not change) the field order of your capture
hardware. It's up to you to set the field order correctly in VS7 to
avoid field order problems. VS7 cannot change the field order of your
capture card.