ATI Newbie question

Hi guys,

switching from NVidia to ATI!

NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...

will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?

tvmia,

<<< Tina >>>
--
Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,

Andrew

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:58:34 +0200, Tina Fisher
<removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:

>will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?

300W+

cheap powersuplies are hit and miss. it may be 500 wats and still not work
for what your tryng to use it for. if you have the nvidia card still i would
try a better name brand power suply first.
dont get me wrong i prefer ATI but you need to work out the problems befor
getting one of the best cards made ati 9800. or your going to get ticked if
you speend $ on a new card and stilll have power problems. i find that the
new generation video cards like to be on a seperat power conector. dont have
any thing eles conected to it just the video card.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Tina Fisher" <removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> switching from NVidia to ATI!
>
> NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...
>
> will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?
>
> tvmia,
>
> <<< Tina >>>
> --
> Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
> you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
> is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
> ('Airplane!', 1980)

Decided to venture out of the flight-sim newsgroup? :)

As others here have told you, the ATI cards don't require as much juice as
the nVidia cards do.

Although your 500W PSU is probably more than adequate, keep in mind that
often the manufacturer's power ratings are determined under optimum
conditions. So, for example, a 500W PSU may only put out 400W at higher
temperatures.

Of course, you also need to consider the other devices in your system. If
you're running a dual CPU system with 3 HDs and 4 optical drives, you may
already be stretching your PSU to the limit.

For the best PSUs on the market (IMHO), see PC Power and Cooling at
www.pcpowercooling.com

Ken

"Tina Fisher" <removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> switching from NVidia to ATI!
>
> NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...
>
> will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?
>
> tvmia,
>
> <<< Tina >>>
> --
> Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
> you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
> is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
> ('Airplane!', 1980)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:19:35 +0100 there was darkness, Andrew
<spamtrap@localhost> floated above the darkness and said :

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:58:34 +0200, Tina Fisher
><removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:
>
>>will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?
>
>300W+

this is much less than I need for a Geforce 5800!
cool (literally) !

with a cheap (!) 500 W, will I have to check the amps, or will it be
sufficient in any case?

thanks :)

<<< Tina >>>
--
Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
('Airplane!', 1980)

Andrew

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:40:30 +0200, Tina Fisher
<removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:

>with a cheap (!) 500 W, will I have to check the amps, or will it be
>sufficient in any case?

Its impossible to say about any PSU as they all vary, and it also
depends on what else you have in your PC, but 500W should be more than
enough.

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:40:30 +0200, Tina Fisher
> <removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:
>
> >with a cheap (!) 500 W, will I have to check the amps, or will it be
> >sufficient in any case?
>
> Its impossible to say about any PSU as they all vary, and it also
> depends on what else you have in your PC, but 500W should be more than
> enough.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

i've got a 350W enermax and a 9800PRO.
no probs so far

I would suggest buying a brand name psu. Enermax is VERY good and quiet
IMHO. My Enermax Whisper series 350W is more dependable than many cheap
q-tec 400-450W psu's.

Enermax, Acer, Antec are some of the better manufacturers. NEVER buy q-tec
or any other that weighs less than 2KG! I had bad experience with them. They
are missing heatsinks are thus become unstable after some 2-4 hours of heavy
use. Also they make a LOT of noise.

"Tina Fisher" <removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> switching from NVidia to ATI!
>
> NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...
>
> will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?
>
> tvmia,
>
> <<< Tina >>>
> --
> Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
> you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
> is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
> ('Airplane!', 1980)

I have a Thermaltake Silent Pure Power 480W. It's nice and quiet and handles
everything I've got without problems.

BG

ápuk wrote:

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:40:30 +0200, Tina Fisher
> > <removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:
> >
> > >with a cheap (!) 500 W, will I have to check the amps, or will it be
> > >sufficient in any case?
> >
> > Its impossible to say about any PSU as they all vary, and it also
> > depends on what else you have in your PC, but 500W should be more than
> > enough.
> > --
> > Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
>
> i've got a 350W enermax and a 9800PRO.
> no probs so far

i got a 250w in mine with 9800pro!
--
:-=ceebs=-:

icq 118414125
yahoo supercbuk
www.gamb1er.com

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:12:53 GMT there was darkness, "Asestar" <a s e
s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> floated above the darkness and said :

>I would suggest buying a brand name psu. Enermax is VERY good and quiet
>IMHO. My Enermax Whisper series 350W is more dependable than many cheap
>q-tec 400-450W psu's.

exactly, mine is a q-tec ... :(
450 or 500 W, forgot exact number!
--
Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
('Airplane!', 1980)

Strongly suggest to change/sidegrade your psu to another maker, for the sake
of your 9800 and P4!! Those power supplies do nothing but make a lot of
noise, and eventually fry up themself or fry your pc.

Let me guess, that is the one with 2 fans, no switch to turn itself off, and
in a golden color? If all of that is true.. Then my suggestion is to sell
this psu on ebay or something, and get a better one. Preferably a good brand
350-400W will be enough.

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:12:53 GMT there was darkness, "Asestar" <a s e
> s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> floated above the darkness and said :
>
> >I would suggest buying a brand name psu. Enermax is VERY good and quiet
> >IMHO. My Enermax Whisper series 350W is more dependable than many cheap
> >q-tec 400-450W psu's.
>
> exactly, mine is a q-tec ... :(
> 450 or 500 W, forgot exact number!
> --
> Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
> you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
> is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
> ('Airplane!', 1980)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:58:52 GMT there was darkness, "Asestar" <a s e
s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> floated above the darkness and said :

>Strongly suggest to change/sidegrade your psu to another maker, for the sake
>of your 9800 and P4!! Those power supplies do nothing but make a lot of
>noise, and eventually fry up themself or fry your pc.
>
>Let me guess, that is the one with 2 fans, no switch to turn itself off, and
>in a golden color? If all of that is true.. Then my suggestion is to sell
>this psu on ebay or something, and get a better one. Preferably a good brand
>350-400W will be enough.

that's the one!

loud as a train ... and golden ........
--
Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
('Airplane!', 1980)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:58:52 GMT there was darkness, "Asestar" <a s e
s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> floated above the darkness and said :

>Strongly suggest to change/sidegrade your psu to another maker, for the sake
>of your 9800 and P4!! Those power supplies do nothing but make a lot of
>noise, and eventually fry up themself or fry your pc.
>
>Let me guess, that is the one with 2 fans, no switch to turn itself off, and
>in a golden color? If all of that is true.. Then my suggestion is to sell
>this psu on ebay or something, and get a better one. Preferably a good brand
>350-400W will be enough.

what do you think about this one?

http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=20550

thanks!
--
Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
('Airplane!', 1980)

Absolutely not bad. Thing is if you really want this, as any good brand
400-450W psu for a much less money will do nicely. Antec is a good psu
maker, so this is very good choice.

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:58:52 GMT there was darkness, "Asestar" <a s e
> s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> floated above the darkness and said :
>
> >Strongly suggest to change/sidegrade your psu to another maker, for the
sake
> >of your 9800 and P4!! Those power supplies do nothing but make a lot of
> >noise, and eventually fry up themself or fry your pc.
> >
> >Let me guess, that is the one with 2 fans, no switch to turn itself off,
and
> >in a golden color? If all of that is true.. Then my suggestion is to sell
> >this psu on ebay or something, and get a better one. Preferably a good
brand
> >350-400W will be enough.
>
> what do you think about this one?
>
> http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=20550
>
> thanks!
> --
> Elaine Dickinson: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
> you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. --- By the way,
> is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"
> ('Airplane!', 1980)

wish i cld upgrade to a 9800!

Tina Fisher wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> switching from NVidia to ATI!
>
> NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...
>
> will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?
>
> tvmia,
>
> <<< Tina >>>

Smart choice.

Get a good quality 430 watt power supply like Antec True Power - better to
have too much, than too little.
You will love the cards.

--
Don Burnette

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:58:34 +0200, Tina Fisher
<removethis.tina.fisher@liwest.at> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>switching from NVidia to ATI!
>
>NVidia gobbles up power like hell ...
>
>will I need a special psu for a 9800 XT Ultra?

Unless is $250 - its not worth it.... buy the 9800Pro for $200 - no
problems with my 350watt PSU ($50 Antec).

2 HDs
2 OPticals
1 GB / AMD2500

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!