Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

I went to use system restore and I get this message:

A valid format number was not found.
Please ensure that the PACKARD BELL MASTER CD is
installed in the CD-ROM drive then enter the format
number found on the System Credentials shipped with
your system. If you can not locate the System
Credentials for your system, please contact PACKARD
BELL software support at 1-801-579-0161.
Format #:

Press the 'Enter' key to exit

The phone number? Lets just say I called it and it is no longer valid, it
said it's been disconnected or is no longer in service. I find out
recently that Packard Bell left the US years ago, I don't need to get into
WHY exactly they left since I am sure most of you are aware of it. I will
get to the point, it seems that Packard Bell has left the US, so I can
forget about getting help by phone or any other way. As for the "System
Credentials" thing that is mentioned? I don't know where that is right
now. I got the restore CD and floppy, they work just fine, I just need a
format number. Here's the CD info: PBMMCD10_R1, 170210 Rev. 1. Like I
stated in the subject I got a Packard Bell Legend 105CD PC, it was bought
new in about 1994 or so, Don't go on about it being old, I don't care, I
have way better computers, it would just be fun to mess around with the
old one, you know? Also, I WANT to restore the PC with the factory
settings, programs and all. I want to be able to use all the old programs
like Packard Bell Navigator, etc. Can someone provide me with a format
number that will work? or tell me how to override the screen that asks for
a format number so I can just simply restore the PC? Or perhaps tell me
where I might find the format number if anywhere on the PC? Another
question too, what does the format number determine exactly? Like what if
I wanted to use the restore CD on another PC which was faster and
everything? Is that possible?

By the way, up at the top in that message I copied, where it says "Format
#:" That's where it wants me to manually enter it.
27 answers Last reply
More about packard bell legend 105cd restore format number
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi,

    I just restored a Legend 415CD for the very reasons you mentioned. I got a
    lot of help from this newsgroup. In case it helps, I'll post the what I did
    and the problems and how I got around them.

    1. Do a clean install of Windows 98SE -- or Windows 95 if you are a purist.

    2. Copy the BU directory from the Master Restore CD to your hard disk.

    3. Copy arj.exe and unarj.bat from the DOSMENU directory. Edit unarj.bat
    to suit your needs, then run it.

    4. Use the INSTALL directory on the CD to install as many programs as you
    can. Do not install the ODBC drivers, it f**ks up Navigator.

    5. Copy whatever was not installed from the "unarj" directory to the "real"
    directories. For instance, when you unarj the ComCentral package, it
    creates a CCentral subdircetory and a Windows\System subdirectory. Copy the
    files in C:\Unarj\CCentral\Windws\System to your actual Windows system
    directory.

    6. Restore Navigator from its separate CD. (Or, in my case, Navigator came
    on a separate CD.)

    My Restore Disk was for a Platinum 55. As I said, I restored a Legend
    415CD. Tweaks were necessary. For instance, some packages install specific
    drivers that did not match the hardware. The solution was to delete the
    device from Device Manager and reboot. Windows 98 had just about every
    driver I needed. Those that did not come from Win98 I found on Elector's
    Yahoo Group site.

    When I first turned on the computer, it would not load drivers for the old
    PB CD Rom. I pulled it temporarily and replaced it with a newer CD that
    would act as a boot device.

    *************

    What is funny is that when I first got the Platinum, I couldn't stand all
    the "add-on" software including Navigator. Now, I went through all this
    work just to have a peak at it. The software is pretty cool for someone new
    to computers and I was sorry to see PB pull out of the US market.

    Hope this helps,

    Rock On

    "SonicClub" <sonicclub@no.s.p.a.m.aol.com> wrote in message
    > I went to use system restore and I get this message:
    >
    > A valid format number was not found.
    > Please ensure that the PACKARD BELL MASTER CD is
    > installed in the CD-ROM drive then enter the format
    > number found on the System Credentials shipped with
    > your system. If you can not locate the System
    > Credentials for your system, please contact PACKARD
    > BELL software support at 1-801-579-0161.
    > Format #:
    >
    > Press the 'Enter' key to exit
    >
    > The phone number? Lets just say I called it and it is no longer valid, it
    > said it's been disconnected or is no longer in service. I find out
    > recently that Packard Bell left the US years ago, I don't need to get into
    > WHY exactly they left since I am sure most of you are aware of it. I will
    > get to the point, it seems that Packard Bell has left the US, so I can
    > forget about getting help by phone or any other way. As for the "System
    > Credentials" thing that is mentioned? I don't know where that is right
    > now. I got the restore CD and floppy, they work just fine, I just need a
    > format number. Here's the CD info: PBMMCD10_R1, 170210 Rev. 1. Like I
    > stated in the subject I got a Packard Bell Legend 105CD PC, it was bought
    > new in about 1994 or so, Don't go on about it being old, I don't care, I
    > have way better computers, it would just be fun to mess around with the
    > old one, you know? Also, I WANT to restore the PC with the factory
    > settings, programs and all. I want to be able to use all the old programs
    > like Packard Bell Navigator, etc. Can someone provide me with a format
    > number that will work? or tell me how to override the screen that asks for
    > a format number so I can just simply restore the PC? Or perhaps tell me
    > where I might find the format number if anywhere on the PC? Another
    > question too, what does the format number determine exactly? Like what if
    > I wanted to use the restore CD on another PC which was faster and
    > everything? Is that possible?
    >
    > By the way, up at the top in that message I copied, where it says "Format
    > #:" That's where it wants me to manually enter it.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Well, thanks for trying to help, it seemed so promising. The restore CD I
    was asking about has the BU folder, but not the DOSMENU folder. The
    restore floppy that goes with the CD has Arj.exe, but not Unarj.bat, I
    have a restore disc that went to my second Packard Bell PC that was made
    in 1998, but even that CD didn't fully match this tutorial you posted. My
    newer Packard Bell's restore CD has the DOSMENU folder, but also no BU
    folder and no Arj.exe, or Unarj.bat. I'll still try to use your advice to
    try to help me use the restore CD's unless you got some other information.
    By the way, the restore CD I was asking about had Windows 3.11, so I am
    guessing my restore disc must be a little older than yours so maybe a few
    other things need to be done, maybe a different way of using the restore
    disc, I don't know, got any ideas? Anyway, I appreciate your reply, that
    info may end up helping with something, I may just have to figure out what
    needs to be done differently, i'm sure using this restore CD couldn't be
    too much different than yours, they seem like they're pretty close to the
    same time. If you or anyone else has any more help, feel free to post.
    Thanks.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi,

    The unarj.bat is simple:
    ******start******
    c:\
    md bu
    y:\ REM Where Y: is the CD's drive
    cd\dosmenu
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\d\d.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\e\e.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\f\f.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\h\h.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\i\i.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\j\j.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\k\k.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\l\l.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\m\m.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\n\n.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\o\o.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\p\p.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\q\q.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\r\r.arj c:\
    ********end*******

    But, you are right. My restore disk was for Win95. If yours is for
    win3.11, they may be different.

    Rock

    > Well, thanks for trying to help, it seemed so promising. The restore CD I
    > was asking about has the BU folder, but not the DOSMENU folder. The
    > restore floppy that goes with the CD has Arj.exe, but not Unarj.bat, I
    > have a restore disc that went to my second Packard Bell PC that was made
    > in 1998, but even that CD didn't fully match this tutorial you posted. My
    > newer Packard Bell's restore CD has the DOSMENU folder, but also no BU
    > folder and no Arj.exe, or Unarj.bat. I'll still try to use your advice to
    > try to help me use the restore CD's unless you got some other information.
    > By the way, the restore CD I was asking about had Windows 3.11, so I am
    > guessing my restore disc must be a little older than yours so maybe a few
    > other things need to be done, maybe a different way of using the restore
    > disc, I don't know, got any ideas? Anyway, I appreciate your reply, that
    > info may end up helping with something, I may just have to figure out what
    > needs to be done differently, i'm sure using this restore CD couldn't be
    > too much different than yours, they seem like they're pretty close to the
    > same time. If you or anyone else has any more help, feel free to post.
    > Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "SonicClub" <sonicclub@no.s.p.a.m.aol.com> wrote in message
    > Well, thanks for trying to help, it seemed so promising. The restore
    CD I
    > was asking about has the BU folder, but not the DOSMENU folder. The
    > restore floppy that goes with the CD has Arj.exe, but not Unarj.bat,
    > have a restore disc that went to my second Packard Bell PC that was
    made
    > in 1998, but even that CD didn't fully match this tutorial you
    posted. My
    > newer Packard Bell's restore CD has the DOSMENU folder, but also no
    BU
    > folder and no Arj.exe, or Unarj.bat. I'll still try to use your
    advice to
    > try to help me use the restore CD's unless you got some other
    information.
    > By the way, the restore CD I was asking about had Windows 3.11, so I
    am
    > guessing my restore disc must be a little older than yours so maybe
    a few
    > other things need to be done, maybe a different way of using the
    restore
    > disc, I don't know, got any ideas? Anyway, I appreciate your reply,
    that
    > info may end up helping with something, I may just have to figure
    out what
    > needs to be done differently, i'm sure using this restore CD
    couldn't be
    > too much different than yours, they seem like they're pretty close
    to the
    > same time. If you or anyone else has any more help, feel free to
    post.
    > Thanks.

    I have been searching the net for this for you but I am at a dead end,
    unless I can find my old systems credentials from my old PB Platinum
    Supreme the format number was something like 55555.scr or cre or cse
    something along those lines. I cannot remember the last identifier
    sorry. Maybe Ben or Metronid can supply that end part after the dot
    (.)

    I was under the impression that the numbers themselves don't actually
    have to match but the last part does.

    I will keep looking and report back if I am successful.

    Elector
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

[...]
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Dang...How did that post get put up AGAIN? Sorry, Must've hit refresh, I am
    using a site to view this newsgroup and post through here at the moment,
    and I suppose hitting refresh after posting re-posted the message. Anyway,
    I have searched for how to get the format number for a while now, and the
    most I have found is a page on a Packard Bell support site saying it is
    like in this one file in the Windows directory, obviously I have looked
    for the file and it wasn't there because I freshly installed windows after
    the original installation. Here's a link to that page that claims to have
    the format number within the file or something:
    http://support.packardbell-europe.com//support/faq/article/ART01509.asp

    It would help a lot if I knew exactly what format numbers of that timeline
    determined too, I know there are different styles of numbers being setup,
    the number could be just one that was assigned to the specific PC, restore
    discs, etc. or maybe a certain PC series, or maybe it's a number which
    matches something about the hardware to let the computer know that you're
    using the restore CD on the right PC, whatever it is, it seems confusing.
    There must be some way to hack past that format number message, probably
    complicated though. Would it help if I ripped the restore floppy and
    posted it online for you to download and try it? I can rip the CD too, but
    i'm not sure if you'd want to download a file which is a few hundred megs
    or something, heh, let me know though, some of you probably wouldn't mind.
    It's like close to 360mb for the restore CD. I tried to get help for this
    issue at a official Packard Bell forum, and someone there claims that it's
    like a 5 digit number on the back of the machine. I am unable to check
    that though since the PC isn't currently with me where I am right now, the
    person wasn't positive though since it was an older computer than ones
    they have had experience with. Hope this info I have provided helps a bit
    more. I have heard some places that the format number is 8 or 9 digits, or
    even 5 and 6, I am confused though, maybe all of those answers are correct
    depending on the PC, huh?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi Sonic,

    What files are listed in the BU\A directory of the Restore CD?

    Rock

    > Dang...How did that post get put up AGAIN? Sorry, Must've hit refresh, I
    am
    > using a site to view this newsgroup and post through here at the moment,
    > and I suppose hitting refresh after posting re-posted the message. Anyway,
    > I have searched for how to get the format number for a while now, and the
    > most I have found is a page on a Packard Bell support site saying it is
    > like in this one file in the Windows directory, obviously I have looked
    > for the file and it wasn't there because I freshly installed windows after
    > the original installation. Here's a link to that page that claims to have
    > the format number within the file or something:
    > http://support.packardbell-europe.com//support/faq/article/ART01509.asp
    >
    > It would help a lot if I knew exactly what format numbers of that timeline
    > determined too, I know there are different styles of numbers being setup,
    > the number could be just one that was assigned to the specific PC, restore
    > discs, etc. or maybe a certain PC series, or maybe it's a number which
    > matches something about the hardware to let the computer know that you're
    > using the restore CD on the right PC, whatever it is, it seems confusing.
    > There must be some way to hack past that format number message, probably
    > complicated though. Would it help if I ripped the restore floppy and
    > posted it online for you to download and try it? I can rip the CD too, but
    > i'm not sure if you'd want to download a file which is a few hundred megs
    > or something, heh, let me know though, some of you probably wouldn't mind.
    > It's like close to 360mb for the restore CD. I tried to get help for this
    > issue at a official Packard Bell forum, and someone there claims that it's
    > like a 5 digit number on the back of the machine. I am unable to check
    > that though since the PC isn't currently with me where I am right now, the
    > person wasn't positive though since it was an older computer than ones
    > they have had experience with. Hope this info I have provided helps a bit
    > more. I have heard some places that the format number is 8 or 9 digits, or
    > even 5 and 6, I am confused though, maybe all of those answers are correct
    > depending on the PC, huh?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    The BU\A directory on the CD has 45 .scr files, all about 120kb - 130kb,
    one of them is more like 110kb. Anyway, they're numbered one after
    another, the number the first file has is 555476.SCR, then the next one is
    555477.SCR, then 555478.SCR, as you guessed it, just look at the first
    file name 555476.SCR, then add 1 number to that number to get the next
    number, they're all numbered one after the other, the last file is
    555520.SCR, it evenly counts all the way up to that file name number, the
    same concept of counting, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and so
    on.. see? The BU directory itself has the folders A, D, E, F, H, I, J, K,
    L, M, and N, each folder after A appears to have particles or pieces of
    some of the software that came with my computer. I notice there is no B,
    C, or G folder, oh well, I suppose that's how they designed the restore
    CD. You know...about those numbered .scr files I was naming a while ago,
    could any of those possibly be format numbers? in the M folder, there are
    some numbers on folders witch match the .scr file numbers, the folders
    within the numbered folders have more pieces of programs and stuff though,
    but still. The folders in the M folder labeled with simular numbers are
    555476, and it does that counting thing again, all the way up to 555483,
    so not as many folders as .scr files. I remember reading on this one site
    that was giving packard bell help, they said to enter 555477 if it asks
    for a format number or something...I tried and tried and it didn't work,
    but then one time I don't know what happened, it just started installing
    or something, this was a little while back, a month or so ago possibly,
    when it supposedly restored I don't think it did it right because some
    things seemed messed up or uncompleted, I must've done something wrong,
    keep in mind that the files with the numbers are 6 digits, is that how
    long format numbers for these computers are? I will try a few and let you
    know the result..
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Well...this is very interesting. My theory was correct, the folders names
    are also format numbers, you see, this one I found on a site worked one
    time, but next time I tried, it didn't, let me explain what was going
    wrong. In order for the format number to work, the restore CD and floppy
    both must be present in the drives, but in order for THAT to work, CD-ROM
    drivers must be installed, so that the CD drive can be accessed. If the
    restore floppy detects the CD then I guess it then has a database of the
    format numbers or something, but before I guess what was going wrong is
    somehow the CD drive wasn't being detected, so then anything I entered
    would be invalid. There you have it, I just solved my own problem, stupid
    me, huh? lol. Sorry for putting you guys through the trouble, but I am
    sure I would never have figured it out of my own if it wasn't for your
    guys's suggestions. And "Rock On", when you told me to check out that
    folder, that then got me to explore the other folders and see that a
    format number I had tried at one time worked, then didn't work, but then I
    saw that the files and folders of some items were named after a format
    number..very interesting. Good news is it can be installed on another PC
    if I need to, I just have to do some configuration editing so then I can
    get into windows and install a different sound and video driver, hah. I
    will keep experimenting with the restore CD's and let you know if this
    issue has fully been resolved, it appears to have been resolved so far,
    but you never know when something could go wrong and I would need help
    again, Anyway, thanks guys, and if you have any questions or anything to
    say, go ahead and post. I may be posting again too if I have any problems
    or questions. At this moment I am using a problem called Virtual PC to
    experiment with the restore CD, it allows you to virtally run an operating
    system within a window in the main operating system, so I could be running
    my standard XP operating system with the original DOS, Windows 3.11,
    Windows 95, Windows 98, and so on. It needs a powerful PC to work very
    good though I think, luckily I got that. My original PC is currently not
    in this location though so I am un-aware of when I will get to test it on
    the real thing.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:28:08 -0400, "SonicClub" <sonicclub@no.s.p.a.m.aol.com> had this to say and
    I had to reply to it:

[...]

    It would very well seem that the xxxxx.scr is the format number process as I posted a few days ago.
    It was nice to see I have not totally lost my mind.

    In a post here many years ago there was a fellow as I also stated before, that said to simply make
    up any number to get past that format command line and let the system restore its self. There is a
    program/command I noticed at the PB site that can extract the format number from the system after
    it is up and running for folks who did not have the system credentials sheet.

    http://support.packardbell.com/it/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_00632&Ctype=dl

    There is also a program that can be run that also will give this information. But alas only after
    the system is up and running. Maybe a person here that has a simular system can run the command and
    tell you what the format number is.

    Elector
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    I posted a few days ago.
    > It was nice to see I have not totally lost my mind.
    >
    > In a post here many years ago there was a fellow as I also stated before,
    that said to simply make
    > up any number to get past that format command line and let the system
    restore its self. There is a
    > program/command I noticed at the PB site that can extract the format
    number from the system after
    > it is up and running for folks who did not have the system credentials
    sheet.

    http://support.packardbell.com/it/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_00632&Ctype
    =dl

    > There is also a program that can be run that also will give this
    information. But alas only after
    > the system is up and running. Maybe a person here that has a simular

    Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the label on
    the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
    It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
    If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at that label.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Dennis Schmitz" <dschmitz1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the
    label on
    > the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
    > It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
    > If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at
    that label.

    You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
    Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
    after purchase.

    Nice to see you post here again..!

    Elector
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > "Dennis Schmitz" <dschmitz1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the
    > label on
    > > the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
    > > It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
    > > If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at
    > that label.
    > >

    > You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
    > Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
    > after purchase.
    >
    > Nice to see you post here again..!
    >
    > Elector

    Thanks Elector !

    Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
    contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Use generic for ther format #

    > Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dennis Schmitz" <dschmitz1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the
    > > label on
    > > > the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
    > > > It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
    > > > If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at
    > > that label.
    > > >

    > > You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
    > > Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
    > > after purchase.
    > >
    > > Nice to see you post here again..!
    > >
    > > Elector
    > >

    > Thanks Elector !
    >
    > Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
    > contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Use generic for ther format #

    Which is what I already told them to do. I know that a made up number will
    work but I was not sure of the last identifier .src scr etc.
    Elector'
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Dennis Schmitz" <dschmitz1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Thanks Elector !
    >
    > Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
    > contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.

    I love seeing the old time posters back here again. I don't get here that
    much myself. Metronid and Ben have been doing a load of the help. Nice to
    see some of the others are helping out again.

    Elector
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi,

    Just to say I also bought a packard bell pc. i xtreme ixtreme 7050.

    What a mistake, I got it in a wrong language. No distribution CD. No
    master. Now to change it, I call the packard bell support at least 10
    times (0900) here in belgium, just to hear that all lines are busy.
    I've got via a // way the master cd's but apparently I to change the
    tattoo ????

    FOR ALL THE OTHERS: NEVER, NEVER BUY A PACKARD BELL, any other PC but
    not a PACKARD BELL
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I had a problem reading all the posts
    The answer where to find the #'s was
    also good
    I believe it only aks those numbers
    if it is to be formatted then restored
    I could be wrong
    I have that Master CD in my collection
    In fact I had a PB that used that CD 170210
    It can always be formatted with the restore
    floppy only
    In fact that version can be restored manually
    by first installing dos then Windows (311)

    All the other garbage can be accessed from the folders

    I kind of liked Winows 311 for various reasons
    It allowed me to use my brain when doing things
    It was just DOS 6.x there abouts with a nice GUI

    My daughter loved it and learned quite a bit
    Now she uses winXP
    She no longer needs her brain to do chat

    > "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Use generic for ther format #
    >
    > Which is what I already told them to do. I know that a made up number will
    > work but I was not sure of the last identifier .src scr etc.
    > Elector'

  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "SonicClub" <sonicclub@no.s.p.a.m.aol.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > One thing I complain about though is one of the CD games that came bundled
    > with the Packard Bell, MegaRace, for some reason when installed on another
    > PC, the sound can't be used, or it sounds all screwed up like, I have only
    > managed to get it run decently on my older and newer Packard Bell.

    <snip>

    Funny you should mention that Mega Race game. There was a patch for the game
    to correct the lagging of the sound and video in systems greater than
    Windows 3.1

    they can be obtained here:
    http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/download/itemnr/REFFIUP00320100.asp?c=ap

    Elector
  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Thanks. That will help it work better on my Packard Bell (newer or older)
    probably, but is there anything to make it work on PC's which aren't even
    Packard Bell? like a new fast computer one with XP and such? When I run
    it, it seems to have problems with the video, and it won't play the sounds
    right, or won't play the sounds at all.. An update on the format number
    problem, I have attempted use of the restore program, several times, and
    it worked flawlessly every time, some settings and stuff need to be edited
    if you want it to run on another PC that isn't compatible with certain
    drivers for the hardware. Other than that, it works great, you can even
    upgrade from 3.11 to Windows 95 or 98 and it seems to still be compatible
    with all the programs. I haven't tried upgrading to 98 or anything newer
    yet though.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > Thanks. That will help it work better on my Packard Bell (newer or
    older)
    > probably, but is there anything to make it work on PC's which aren't
    even
    > Packard Bell? like a new fast computer one with XP and such? When I
    run
    > it, it seems to have problems with the video, and it won't play the
    sounds
    > right, or won't play the sounds at all.. An update on the format
    number
    > problem, I have attempted use of the restore program, several times,
    and
    > it worked flawlessly every time, some settings and stuff need to be
    edited
    > if you want it to run on another PC that isn't compatible with
    certain
    > drivers for the hardware. Other than that, it works great, you can
    even
    > upgrade from 3.11 to Windows 95 or 98 and it seems to still be
    compatible
    > with all the programs. I haven't tried upgrading to 98 or anything
    newer
    > yet though.

    I don't know if this is what you want to do, but the MegaRace game is
    again on sale at stores for all OS standards. Mega Race 3, 4 etc.

    You can also try to run it in dos mode on a Windows XP or NT machine
    (Set the setting to use the older OS is another option and may
    function like that as well)

    Elector
  22. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Well...lets see...all my problems I asked about have been solved pretty
    much. I got a few more questions though. One is about Packard Bell floppy
    drives, the other is about Packard Bell shutting down in the US. First the
    floppy drives, in my Packard Bell purchased in mid-1998 (I think it says
    the model number is 850), the floppy drive stopped working a while back
    and I had to get this old junky one that doesn't work too good, and now it
    also doesn't work. It's not as easy as just replacing the drives, you know
    how those brand computers are, most of them have face plates or whatever
    they're called, so the foppy drive can't have it's own front, or the front
    has to be taken off, it has to fit the button that goes with the case, the
    original floppy drive that came with it is a Mitsumi floppy drive, model
    D359T7. I tried looking around for the same model or one simular, and they
    are simular, but they have their own fronts so they wouldn't work unless
    if the face plate of the floppy drive could be removed to fit in the case
    with the original Packard Bell case's floppy button or something. Another
    question is about Packard Bell shutting down in the US. I heard they
    shutdown because they had trouble competing with Dell and other computer
    makers, but when exactly did they completely leave the US. I read an
    article that was posted at the end of 1999, so did they shutdown sometime
    in early 2000? Let me know if you guys can help, thanks.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Thanks for the information. I am aware that all floppy drives are a
    standard size. I know that all floppy drives will fit in the case, but do
    you also mean it will work with the face plate on the PC? It's like a
    plastic cover that covers the whole front of the PC, without it, the PC
    looks quite junky, because it's what gives the PC it's normal look, here's
    a picture so I can explain myself better, this isn't what the one I took
    out of the computer looks like, but it will without the front thing:

    http://www.gen-x-pc.com/images/FD-1white.jpg

    That plastic front on the drive, imagine the drive without that and with
    the door only, where the button would be, it had like a metal thing for
    the custom Packard Bell button to fit on so it was compatible with the
    front of the computer. It would fit in just fine within the PC, but once I
    go to put the front thing back on, it won't go on all the way, and it
    wouldn't be compatible with the PC's front thing, I will make things
    easier and say it kinda is setup how the newer Hewlett Packard computers
    are, maybe not the newest, but the more recent ones, possibly the newer
    ones though (I'm really not sure if the newer ones are built the same).
    Anyway, you must know what I am talking about, it's not like not many PC's
    are built that way, quite a few are, mainly the kind you buy from a
    company like Packard Bell, or Hewlett Packard.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > Thanks for the information. I am aware that all floppy drives are a
    > standard size. I know that all floppy drives will fit in the case,
    but do
    > you also mean it will work with the face plate on the PC? It's like
    > plastic cover that covers the whole front of the PC, without it, the
    PC
    > looks quite junky, because it's what gives the PC it's normal look,
    here's
    > a picture so I can explain myself better, this isn't what the one I
    took
    > out of the computer looks like, but it will without the front thing:
    >
    > http://www.gen-x-pc.com/images/FD-1white.jpg
    >
    > That plastic front on the drive, imagine the drive without that and
    with
    > the door only, where the button would be, it had like a metal thing
    for
    > the custom Packard Bell button to fit on so it was compatible with
    the
    > front of the computer. It would fit in just fine within the PC, but
    once I
    > go to put the front thing back on, it won't go on all the way, and
    it
    > wouldn't be compatible with the PC's front thing, I will make things
    > easier and say it kinda is setup how the newer Hewlett Packard
    computers
    > are, maybe not the newest, but the more recent ones, possibly the
    newer
    > ones though (I'm really not sure if the newer ones are built the
    same).
    > Anyway, you must know what I am talking about, it's not like not
    many PC's
    > are built that way, quite a few are, mainly the kind you buy from a
    > company like Packard Bell, or Hewlett Packard.

    The front cover can be removed to just have the metal casing which
    will then fit inside the tray assembly.
    I have worked on a few Gateways that had a similar situation in that
    the access door would not close due to the front bezel cover.
    After you place it in the machine you can remove the retaining clips
    or screws and slide the front cover off it then should be no problem
    in just placing the plastic from the computer over the casing.

    Oh I have a friend with a Dell desktop that had this same problem only
    it was his cd rom driver. He replaced it with a "white" dvd/cdr-r
    drive and he just removed the covering and slid the unit in to have
    the cover close.

    Elector
  25. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > Oh I have a friend with a Dell desktop that had this same problem only
    > it was his cd rom driver. He replaced it with a "white" dvd/cdr-r
    > drive and he just removed the covering and slid the unit in to have
    > the cover close.
    >
    > Elector

    Has anyone been able to replace the CD ROM cover for a Milano tower?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Been busy lately, that's the reason for my absense. Rock On, I have no
    experience with replacing a CD-ROM cover, nor do I have any experience
    with Milano towers. Explain your problem the best you can though and I
    will try to come up with a solution.

    As for my problems. All have basically been solved. In reply to my Floppy
    drive problem though, and you basically saying any newer floppy drive
    should fit, all I have to do is remove the plastic front when I buy the
    drive? I am sure if I get the same brand and close to the same model, it
    will fit even better too, correct? Well, guess I will try buying a
    replacement drive then and do that, think that's the best plan?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > Been busy lately, that's the reason for my absense. Rock On, I have
    no
    > experience with replacing a CD-ROM cover, nor do I have any
    experience
    > with Milano towers. Explain your problem the best you can though and
    > will try to come up with a solution.
    >
    > As for my problems. All have basically been solved. In reply to my
    Floppy
    > drive problem though, and you basically saying any newer floppy
    drive
    > should fit, all I have to do is remove the plastic front when I buy
    the
    > drive? I am sure if I get the same brand and close to the same
    model, it
    > will fit even better too, correct? Well, guess I will try buying a
    > replacement drive then and do that, think that's the best plan?

    It is the best solution as I pointed out. Did you think of buying a
    colored unit to match the case color? (This for folks with the newer
    grey and black units) Just this week another friend replaced his
    CDR-RW with a DVD Burner and his unit is black but the device was
    white. He took the face plate off and it slid into the spot the older
    one occupied (Dell) you cannot see the white even with no cover on as
    in the cover types.

    Elector

Packard Bell CD-Rom Format Computers