gaining access to administrator acct to change password

December 28, 2004 9:19:01 PM

My husband was the computer administrator on our pc & had it password
protected.We recently separated & before he left he changed the password so
that I would not be able to sign into this acct.How can I get into it &
change it to my password?I am using windows xp professional
--
Marbuki
December 28, 2004 9:33:53 PM

Marbuki wrote:

> My husband was the computer administrator on our pc & had it password
> protected.We recently separated & before he left he changed the
> password so that I would not be able to sign into this acct.How can I
> get into it & change it to my password?I am using windows xp
> professional

Very easy. Go to this website and download the ntpasswd program:

Click on the Bootdisk button and download ntpasswd. You can read all
about it on the site. Basically, you'll make a bootable floppy or cd
(need third-party burning software to make the cd) and boot with it.
Just read the instructions. The easiest thing is to make the new
password a blank. Once you've made the change, log in as Administrator
using the new (blank) password. Go to User Accounts in Control Panel
and set the password the way you want.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User