Piece of Advice for new windows xp users

hello... mi name is Juan Manuel. I am from argentina, i hope this help people
who are starting using windows xp in a new machine. I experienced some
problems with virus and other things when i fisrt installed wXP in my new
computer. I had to format the machine 3 times 'til y learned how to protect
my computer against this fatallity... here there are some tips:
1) you must be desconnected from the internet. This could bring virus
Blaster to your machine if you are not safe yet.
2) install a good antivirus. Is important that you install the newest
antivirus that you can because day by day appears new virus that can make
trouble through internet.
3) install a good firewall. The firewall that provides windows xp isn't
secure so i recommend you to install a better one. I have the Zone Alarm
firewall and i have no problem.
4) Install the Service Pack 1 from a CD. You can download it with the
carefull that you have the antivirus and the firewall updated and currently
functioning. But i recommend you to install it from a cd and then...
5) connect to internet, but first of all!, download all the critical updates
of windows xp from windows update and the antivirus definitions of the date.
6) you are happy! :)

Juan Manuel wrote:
> hello... mi name is Juan Manuel. I am from argentina, i hope this help people
> who are starting using windows xp in a new machine. I experienced some
> problems with virus and other things when i fisrt installed wXP in my new
> computer. I had to format the machine 3 times 'til y learned how to protect
> my computer against this fatallity... here there are some tips:
> 1) you must be desconnected from the internet. This could bring virus
> Blaster to your machine if you are not safe yet.
> 2) install a good antivirus. Is important that you install the newest
> antivirus that you can because day by day appears new virus that can make
> trouble through internet.
> 3) install a good firewall. The firewall that provides windows xp isn't
> secure so i recommend you to install a better one. I have the Zone Alarm
> firewall and i have no problem.
> 4) Install the Service Pack 1 from a CD. You can download it with the
> carefull that you have the antivirus and the firewall updated and currently
> functioning. But i recommend you to install it from a cd and then...
> 5) connect to internet, but first of all!, download all the critical updates
> of windows xp from windows update and the antivirus definitions of the date.
> 6) you are happy! :)

You are to be commended for sharing this hard-won knowledge.

As you've learned, there are several essential components to
computer security: a knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly
configured firewall, reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the
prompt repair (via patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known
vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, all too often, the
computer user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be
expected to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many
people have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be no
harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or
desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people
keep their antivirus software current, install patches in a timely
manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link they're about to
click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors