Piece of Advice for new windows xp users

hello... mi name is Juan Manuel. I am from argentina, i hope this help people
who are starting using windows xp in a new machine. I experienced some
problems with virus and other things when i fisrt installed wXP in my new
computer. I had to format the machine 3 times 'til y learned how to protect
my computer against this fatallity... here there are some tips:
1) you must be desconnected from the internet. This could bring virus
Blaster to your machine if you are not safe yet.
2) install a good antivirus. Is important that you install the newest
antivirus that you can because day by day appears new virus that can make
trouble through internet.
3) install a good firewall. The firewall that provides windows xp isn't
secure so i recommend you to install a better one. I have the Zone Alarm
firewall and i have no problem.
4) Install the Service Pack 1 from a CD. You can download it with the
carefull that you have the antivirus and the firewall updated and currently
functioning. But i recommend you to install it from a cd and then...
5) connect to internet, but first of all!, download all the critical updates
of windows xp from windows update and the antivirus definitions of the date.
6) you are happy! :)
1 answer Last reply
More about piece advice windows users

    Juan Manuel wrote:
    > hello... mi name is Juan Manuel. I am from argentina, i hope this help people
    > who are starting using windows xp in a new machine. I experienced some
    > problems with virus and other things when i fisrt installed wXP in my new
    > computer. I had to format the machine 3 times 'til y learned how to protect
    > my computer against this fatallity... here there are some tips:
    > 1) you must be desconnected from the internet. This could bring virus
    > Blaster to your machine if you are not safe yet.
    > 2) install a good antivirus. Is important that you install the newest
    > antivirus that you can because day by day appears new virus that can make
    > trouble through internet.
    > 3) install a good firewall. The firewall that provides windows xp isn't
    > secure so i recommend you to install a better one. I have the Zone Alarm
    > firewall and i have no problem.
    > 4) Install the Service Pack 1 from a CD. You can download it with the
    > carefull that you have the antivirus and the firewall updated and currently
    > functioning. But i recommend you to install it from a cd and then...
    > 5) connect to internet, but first of all!, download all the critical updates
    > of windows xp from windows update and the antivirus definitions of the date.
    > 6) you are happy! :)

    You are to be commended for sharing this hard-won knowledge.

    As you've learned, there are several essential components to
    computer security: a knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly
    configured firewall, reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the
    prompt repair (via patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known
    vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, all too often, the
    computer user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be
    expected to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many
    people have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be no
    harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or
    desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people
    keep their antivirus software current, install patches in a timely
    manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link they're about to
    click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
    computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors