trip to hell after bios update

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
her?
Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
17 answers Last reply
More about trip hell bios update
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) had this to say and I had to reply to it:

    ::I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    ::but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    ::We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    ::Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    ::are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    ::Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    ::it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    ::problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    ::Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    ::her?
    ::Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?


    With many of your posts you don't give enough information. Is it the original CD ROM? Did you go
    into the BIOS and set it to default settings after the upgrade? The Cirrus Logic is the Video I am
    going to assume here? When you updated your CPU no changes should have been made other than to let
    the system restart. Or to change the PIN assignment of the new CPU's speed. If the system is not
    one with auto detect.

    You had more wrong if I remember after the CPU upgrade. In fact in one of my replies I told you to
    reset the CMOS either via pin or via battery removal. There was no need to reinstall windows.

    If you have a video card installed then the settings in MY Computer look under Device Manager and
    see what has a Yellow or Red Exclaimation point and then disable the ON Board Video from operating
    this would let the card function. The CD ROM is like wise probably not being seen again in Device
    manager look and see what the conflict is. Or go into the BIOS and make sure the AUTO DETECT is on
    for the CD ROM and other devices. I let the system assign the resources via the AUTO settings.

    Also check and see if you still have the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and rename them to
    autoexec.old and config.old then restart the computer. Sometimes you get a running is MS-DOS mode
    error with these files. You do not need then in Windows 98

    When you say you reinstalled Windows 98 do you mean the full install or the repair function?
    And I doubt very much $150 speant on a computer is a reason for system failure, the machine is not
    real or alive.

    Elector
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click the
    Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for yellow
    and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you need to
    install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the standard off
    the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not always
    contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational. In fact,
    it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.

    Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is not
    working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE controllers
    are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you install
    DOS-mode software... Ben Myers

    On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:

    >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    >her?
    >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    far this is my results.
    I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    features section:
    -high speed multiread
    -ide/atapi interface
    -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    -supports all major cd formats.

    I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    I don't know how to install them.
    It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    including the origional cd drive.
    Can someone please help me install the drivers?

    ps:My os is win 98 SE.


    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click the
    > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for yellow
    > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you need to
    > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the standard off
    > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not always
    > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational. In fact,
    > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    >
    > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is not
    > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE controllers
    > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you install
    > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    >
    > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    > >her?
    > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and
    so
    > far this is my results.
    > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system
    menu
    > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    > features section:
    > -high speed multiread
    > -ide/atapi interface
    > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    > -supports all major cd formats.
    >
    > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed
    but
    > I don't know how to install them.
    > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    > including the origional cd drive.
    > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >
    > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >


    The chipset drivers usually come with the motherboard via the computer
    manufacturers web site or through the motherboard manufacturer. Again
    you would have to know what motherboard your using and who makes it
    etc. Then go to that site and download the chipset drivers.

    Also rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files as I previously
    instructed and then restart the system since the cd rom may be getting
    mixed settings.

    Elector
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Let's go back to square one here. You need to identify the chipset on the
    motherboard controlling the IDE channels. There are several ways to do so:

    1. Find info somewhere about the motherboard inside the system. This is
    unreliable, because PB changed components inside its systems without changing
    the model.
    2. Identify the motherboard BIOS. The motherboard manufacturer's web site will
    hopefully have a spec describing the features and chipsets on the motherboard.
    3. Open up the chassis and find the largest chips on the motheboard, then write
    down EVERYTHING on the surface of each chip. Hopefully, they will not be
    covered by a heatsink.
    4. Run a DOS mode utility which displays the chipsets and their manufacturers.

    Frankly, option number 3 is the most promising and least likely to yield
    inaccurate info. Unless you can identify the motherboard chipset with almost
    absolute certainty, you will not be able to get the right drivers for it.

    In the meantime, you can put a DOS-mode CD-ROM device driver in CONFIG.SYS ,
    launch DOS-mode MSCDEX from AUTOEXEC.BAT , and access the CD-ROM drive in a
    limited fashion. Download the standard Windows 98SE bootdisk image from
    www.bootdisk.com , and study its CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to see how to do
    this... Ben Myers

    On 3 Jun 2004 20:47:38 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:

    >I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    >far this is my results.
    >I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    >After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    >The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    >or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    >The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    >features section:
    >-high speed multiread
    >-ide/atapi interface
    >-plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    >-supports all major cd formats.
    >
    >I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    >I don't know how to install them.
    >It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    >including the origional cd drive.
    >Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >
    >ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >
    >
    >ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    >> Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click the
    >> Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for yellow
    >> and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you need to
    >> install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the standard off
    >> the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not always
    >> contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational. In fact,
    >> it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    >>
    >> Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is not
    >> working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE controllers
    >> are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you install
    >> DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    >> >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    >> >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    >> >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    >> >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    >> >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    >> >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    >> >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    >> >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    >> >her?
    >> >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hi,

    A couple of questions for you...

    1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?

    2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able to
    boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard disk?
    (In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)

    Rock

    "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    > far this is my results.
    > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    > features section:
    > -high speed multiread
    > -ide/atapi interface
    > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    > -supports all major cd formats.
    >
    > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    > I don't know how to install them.
    > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    > including the origional cd drive.
    > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >
    > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >
    >
    > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    > > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click
    the
    > > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for
    yellow
    > > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you
    need to
    > > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    standard off
    > > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    always
    > > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational.
    In fact,
    > > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    > >
    > > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is
    not
    > > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    controllers
    > > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you
    install
    > > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    > >
    > > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    > > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    > > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    > > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    > > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    > > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    > > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    > > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    > > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    > > >her?
    > > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    The cd drive is NOT appearing on the bios setup.
    I just noticed that the hard drive activity light does not go out when
    the drive is not in use.
    I will try the slave setup and get back to you but if it does work I
    will have trouble getting the cables to reach each drive.
    My motherboard is a pb 640 with the cirrus logic video card.

    Chipset :
    PC87306VUL Ultra I/O Enhanced Controller.
    PCI064B Super I/0 floppy disk controllers
    Two IMISC471 Clock Chips
    VL82C591PSFC3 PCI to IDE Bridge
    Two VL82C592PSFC2 PCI LB Controllers
    VL82C593PSFC2 PCI/CACHE/MEM Controller

    Is this any help?


    "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message news:<Tn%vc.17$po3.9@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A couple of questions for you...
    >
    > 1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    >
    > 2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able to
    > boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard disk?
    > (In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    >
    > Rock
    >
    > "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    > > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    > > far this is my results.
    > > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    > > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    > > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    > > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    > > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    > > features section:
    > > -high speed multiread
    > > -ide/atapi interface
    > > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    > > -supports all major cd formats.
    > >
    > > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    > > I don't know how to install them.
    > > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    > > including the origional cd drive.
    > > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    > >
    > > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    > >
    > >
    > > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    > news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    > > > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click
    > the
    > > > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for
    > yellow
    > > > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you
    > need to
    > > > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    > standard off
    > > > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    > always
    > > > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational.
    > In fact,
    > > > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    > > >
    > > > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is
    > not
    > > > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    > controllers
    > > > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you
    > install
    > > > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    > > >
    > > > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    > > > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    > > > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    > > > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    > > > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    > > > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    > > > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    > > > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    > > > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    > > > >her?
    > > > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Yep. Also useful information to know for anyone able to provide advice to
    Jeptha... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:08:51 GMT, "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A couple of questions for you...
    >
    >1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    >
    >2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able to
    >boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard disk?
    >(In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    >
    >Rock
    >
    >"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    >news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    >> I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    >> far this is my results.
    >> I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    >> After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    >> The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    >> or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    >> The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    >> features section:
    >> -high speed multiread
    >> -ide/atapi interface
    >> -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    >> -supports all major cd formats.
    >>
    >> I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    >> I don't know how to install them.
    >> It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    >> including the origional cd drive.
    >> Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >>
    >> ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >>
    >>
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    >news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    >> > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click
    >the
    >> > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for
    >yellow
    >> > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you
    >need to
    >> > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    >standard off
    >> > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    >always
    >> > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational.
    >In fact,
    >> > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    >> >
    >> > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is
    >not
    >> > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    >controllers
    >> > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you
    >install
    >> > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    >> >
    >> > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    >> >
    >> > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    >> > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    >> > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    >> > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    >> > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    >> > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    >> > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    >> > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    >> > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    >> > >her?
    >> > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Somewhere in this thread, I think Jeptha stated that he reloaded Win 98SE onto
    the computer. I would infer that the CD-ROM was working at some point, and I
    still think it's a driver problem... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:08:51 GMT, "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A couple of questions for you...
    >
    >1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    >
    >2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able to
    >boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard disk?
    >(In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    >
    >Rock
    >
    >"Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    >news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    >> I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    >> far this is my results.
    >> I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    >> After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    >> The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    >> or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    >> The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    >> features section:
    >> -high speed multiread
    >> -ide/atapi interface
    >> -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    >> -supports all major cd formats.
    >>
    >> I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    >> I don't know how to install them.
    >> It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    >> including the origional cd drive.
    >> Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >>
    >> ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >>
    >>
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    >news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    >> > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click
    >the
    >> > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for
    >yellow
    >> > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you
    >need to
    >> > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    >standard off
    >> > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    >always
    >> > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational.
    >In fact,
    >> > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    >> >
    >> > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is
    >not
    >> > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    >controllers
    >> > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you
    >install
    >> > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    >> >
    >> > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    >> >
    >> > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    >> > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    >> > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    >> > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    >> > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    >> > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    >> > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    >> > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    >> > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    >> > >her?
    >> > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Can you go into the BIOS and see what the setting is for the IDE connection
    the CD is on. I'm going to guess that it is set to None. Sometimes the
    BIOS offers CD as a choice for the IDE connection, if not try using Auto.

    "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    news:a59945a0.0406041615.6a139646@posting.google.com...
    > The cd drive is NOT appearing on the bios setup.
    > I just noticed that the hard drive activity light does not go out when
    > the drive is not in use.
    > I will try the slave setup and get back to you but if it does work I
    > will have trouble getting the cables to reach each drive.
    > My motherboard is a pb 640 with the cirrus logic video card.
    >
    > Chipset :
    > PC87306VUL Ultra I/O Enhanced Controller.
    > PCI064B Super I/0 floppy disk controllers
    > Two IMISC471 Clock Chips
    > VL82C591PSFC3 PCI to IDE Bridge
    > Two VL82C592PSFC2 PCI LB Controllers
    > VL82C593PSFC2 PCI/CACHE/MEM Controller
    >
    > Is this any help?
    >
    >
    >
    > "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
    news:<Tn%vc.17$po3.9@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A couple of questions for you...
    > >
    > > 1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    > >
    > > 2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able
    to
    > > boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard
    disk?
    > > (In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    > >
    > > Rock
    > >
    > > "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > > news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    > > > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    > > > far this is my results.
    > > > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    > > > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    > > > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    > > > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    > > > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    > > > features section:
    > > > -high speed multiread
    > > > -ide/atapi interface
    > > > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    > > > -supports all major cd formats.
    > > >
    > > > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    > > > I don't know how to install them.
    > > > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    > > > including the origional cd drive.
    > > > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    > > >
    > > > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    > > news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    > > > > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system?
    Click
    > > the
    > > > > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look
    for
    > > yellow
    > > > > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present,
    you
    > > need to
    > > > > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    > > standard off
    > > > > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    > > always
    > > > > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully
    operational.
    > > In fact,
    > > > > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    > > > >
    > > > > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive
    is
    > > not
    > > > > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    > > controllers
    > > > > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that
    you
    > > install
    > > > > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    > > > >
    > > > > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the
    computer
    > > > > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    > > > > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    > > > > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    > > > > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start
    properly.
    > > > > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error
    but
    > > > > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now
    the
    > > > > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    > > > > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150
    upgrading
    > > > > >her?
    > > > > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    For what its worth:

    The VL82C59 chips were made by VLSI, who are long gone from the world of
    computing, bought up, absorbed, bankrupt, I forget which. If the drivers are
    not on a Windows CD, maybe they can be dredged up via DriverGuide.

    But the important question is why the CD-ROM drive does not show in the BIOS.
    One of several possibilities:

    Device detection disabled in the system BIOS.
    Bad cable.
    Incorrect master/slave jumpers.
    DIsconnected or faulty power.
    Failed drive.

    I cannot think of any other possibilities. If the drive has failed, connecting
    up another drive would reveal that possibility. Otherwise, it's a matter of
    checking and double-checking... Ben Myers

    On 4 Jun 2004 17:15:31 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:

    >The cd drive is NOT appearing on the bios setup.
    >I just noticed that the hard drive activity light does not go out when
    >the drive is not in use.
    >I will try the slave setup and get back to you but if it does work I
    >will have trouble getting the cables to reach each drive.
    >My motherboard is a pb 640 with the cirrus logic video card.
    >
    >Chipset :
    >PC87306VUL Ultra I/O Enhanced Controller.
    >PCI064B Super I/0 floppy disk controllers
    >Two IMISC471 Clock Chips
    >VL82C591PSFC3 PCI to IDE Bridge
    >Two VL82C592PSFC2 PCI LB Controllers
    >VL82C593PSFC2 PCI/CACHE/MEM Controller
    >
    >Is this any help?
    >
    >
    >
    >"Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message news:<Tn%vc.17$po3.9@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A couple of questions for you...
    >>
    >> 1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    >>
    >> 2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be able to
    >> boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard disk?
    >> (In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    >>
    >> Rock
    >>
    >> "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    >> > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and so
    >> > far this is my results.
    >> > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    >> > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    >> > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system menu
    >> > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    >> > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    >> > features section:
    >> > -high speed multiread
    >> > -ide/atapi interface
    >> > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    >> > -supports all major cd formats.
    >> >
    >> > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed but
    >> > I don't know how to install them.
    >> > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    >> > including the origional cd drive.
    >> > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    >> >
    >> > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    >> news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    >> > > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system? Click
    >> the
    >> > > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look for
    >> yellow
    >> > > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present, you
    >> need to
    >> > > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    >> standard off
    >> > > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does not
    >> always
    >> > > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully operational.
    >> In fact,
    >> > > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    >> > >
    >> > > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive is
    >> not
    >> > > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    >> controllers
    >> > > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that you
    >> install
    >> > > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    >> > >
    >> > > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    >> > >
    >> > > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the computer
    >> > > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    >> > > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    >> > > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work, There
    >> > > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start properly.
    >> > > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error but
    >> > > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now the
    >> > > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    >> > > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150 upgrading
    >> > > >her?
    >> > > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    news:UMawc.12780$Yd3.1491@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Can you go into the BIOS and see what the setting is for the IDE
    connection
    > the CD is on. I'm going to guess that it is set to None. Sometimes
    the
    > BIOS offers CD as a choice for the IDE connection, if not try using
    Auto.
    >
    Hi Mark:
    All the god damn top posting is confusing me! I believe I already told
    him to do that. I am going assume that he does not know how to do it.
    I also noticed that Ben had a good response in that "he used the cd to
    load Windows 98se back on" if that is the case then the cd was working
    and is probably one of the below:

    1- Dead
    2- Not connected properly to the IDE (Primary or Secondary) Controller
    3- Power supply cable may be shorted out or dead. Or not connected.
    4- CD is not detected due to not having the bios settings correct.

    I also note that Ben said that there was also a chance (as did a few
    other helpers) that the drivers are not loaded correctly or not at
    all.

    Placing the cd on a bare controller as MASTER and then starting the
    computer may also test if the unit is working. So place the Hard Drive
    on the Primary IDE as Master, place the cd rom on the Secondary IDE as
    Master and then start up the system. If length of the controller
    ribbon is too short by the larger ribbon, it is cheap in the stores.
    Buy a dual ribbon in case you need to add another device to the ide
    later on.

    Elector
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    news:40c1a552.5396003@news.charter.net...
    > For what its worth:
    >
    > The VL82C59 chips were made by VLSI, who are long gone from the
    world of
    > computing, bought up, absorbed, bankrupt, I forget which. If the
    drivers are
    > not on a Windows CD, maybe they can be dredged up via DriverGuide.
    >
    > But the important question is why the CD-ROM drive does not show in
    the BIOS.
    > One of several possibilities:
    >
    > Device detection disabled in the system BIOS.
    > Bad cable.
    > Incorrect master/slave jumpers.
    > DIsconnected or faulty power.
    > Failed drive.
    >
    > I cannot think of any other possibilities. If the drive has failed,
    connecting
    > up another drive would reveal that possibility. Otherwise, it's a
    matter of
    > checking and double-checking... Ben Myers
    >


    Sorry Ben I did not see this reply. I also stated some of the same in
    my reply. Sorry for any overlap.

    Elector
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    news:UMawc.12780$Yd3.1491@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Can you go into the BIOS and see what the setting is for the IDE
    connection
    > the CD is on. I'm going to guess that it is set to None. Sometimes the
    > BIOS offers CD as a choice for the IDE connection, if not try using Auto.
    >
    > "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > news:a59945a0.0406041615.6a139646@posting.google.com...
    > > The cd drive is NOT appearing on the bios setup.
    > > I just noticed that the hard drive activity light does not go out when
    > > the drive is not in use.
    > > I will try the slave setup and get back to you but if it does work I
    > > will have trouble getting the cables to reach each drive.
    > > My motherboard is a pb 640 with the cirrus logic video card.
    > >
    > > Chipset :
    > > PC87306VUL Ultra I/O Enhanced Controller.
    > > PCI064B Super I/0 floppy disk controllers
    > > Two IMISC471 Clock Chips
    > > VL82C591PSFC3 PCI to IDE Bridge
    > > Two VL82C592PSFC2 PCI LB Controllers
    > > VL82C593PSFC2 PCI/CACHE/MEM Controller
    > >
    > > Is this any help?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
    > news:<Tn%vc.17$po3.9@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > A couple of questions for you...
    > > >
    > > > 1. Is the CD ROM recognized in the BIOS setup screen?
    > > >
    > > > 2. Obviously the hard disk is being recognized or you would not be
    able
    > to
    > > > boot. What happens if you set the CD-ROM up as a slave to the hard
    > disk?
    > > > (In other words, on the same controller as the hard disk.)
    > > >
    > > > Rock
    > > >
    > > > "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > > > news:a59945a0.0406031947.3627b4b6@posting.google.com...
    > > > > I have spent a little time doing a through scan of the computer and
    so
    > > > > far this is my results.
    > > > > I reinstalled the bios upgrade.
    > > > > After all the cards were removed, all the conflicts dissapeared.
    > > > > The cd drive is still not functioning or is visible on the system
    menu
    > > > > or windows explorer my computer, etc.
    > > > > The box that contained the cd drive said the following under the
    > > > > features section:
    > > > > -high speed multiread
    > > > > -ide/atapi interface
    > > > > -plug and play under windows 95/98/2000
    > > > > -supports all major cd formats.
    > > > >
    > > > > I like ben suspect that the ide chipset drivers are not installed
    but
    > > > > I don't know how to install them.
    > > > > It seems that every cd drive I have will not work in the pc anymore
    > > > > including the origional cd drive.
    > > > > Can someone please help me install the drivers?
    > > > >
    > > > > ps:My os is win 98 SE.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    > > > news:<40bb4db5.601730@news.charter.net>...
    > > > > > Are all the drivers installed for all the devices in the system?
    > Click
    > > > the
    > > > > > Device Manager tab in the System applet under Control Panel. Look
    > for
    > > > yellow
    > > > > > and/or red marks next to any of the devices. If any are present,
    > you
    > > > need to
    > > > > > install the device drivers for those devices. Be advised that the
    > > > standard off
    > > > > > the shelf Windows 98 CD (either original or Second Edition) does
    not
    > > > always
    > > > > > contain the device drivers needed to make a system fully
    > operational.
    > > > In fact,
    > > > > > it is rare that the Windows 98 CD has all the needed drivers.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Let us know which device drivers are missing. If the CD-ROM drive
    > is
    > > > not
    > > > > > working, it is obvious to me that the chipset drivers for the IDE
    > > > controllers
    > > > > > are not installed. To work around this temporarily requires that
    > you
    > > > install
    > > > > > DOS-mode software... Ben Myers
    > > > > >
    > > > > > On 30 May 2004 23:19:13 -0700, jeptha@telus.net (Jeptha) wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > >I updated my bios on my A950-Twr computer so i could use the
    > computer
    > > > > > >but a new and more annoying problem has arisen.
    > > > > > >We had to format the drive and reinstall windows 98.
    > > > > > >Now it can't find the cd drive, the ps/2 mouse will not work,
    There
    > > > > > >are conflicts galore and some of my programs will not start
    > properly.
    > > > > > >Also the built in cirrus logic adapter is always having an error
    > but
    > > > > > >it has not had that since I installed a new pci video card...now
    > the
    > > > > > >problem is back and it is being nasty to me.
    > > > > > >Is my computer being nasty at me because I spent over $150
    > upgrading
    > > > > > >her?
    > > > > > >Or is it because there is something more technical that is wrong?
    >
    >

    Just for you Elector, a bottom post :)

    I prefer top posting (it really is easier for me to follow) but understand
    that many do while many do not.

    I now see that indeed you suggested he set the IDE settings to Auto Detect
    way up front (I jumped in late). Given all the advice, this shouldn't be
    that hard of a problem to solve. Maybe the OP is overloaded with advice
    although it is good advice.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    news:6gywc.3218$uX2.2541@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    <Snip>
    > Just for you Elector, a bottom post :)
    >
    > I prefer top posting (it really is easier for me to follow) but
    understand
    > that many do while many do not.
    >
    > I now see that indeed you suggested he set the IDE settings to Auto
    Detect
    > way up front (I jumped in late). Given all the advice, this
    shouldn't be
    > that hard of a problem to solve. Maybe the OP is overloaded with
    advice
    > although it is good advice.
    >
    >

    Ha ha, thank you Mark!
    The reason being was that in about a few answers back I noticed
    someone answered bottom like I did and then Ben top posted and then
    another bottom post from me and while I was reading it I started
    laughing since I could no longer read the replies.

    Sort of like this:

    :Yes

    :was the CD Rom Working after the bios update?

    :The Processor is not showing the correct speed
    :Did you set the jumpers correctly?

    You get the idea. The funny thing is that many programs are set as
    default as to top post. You can however set it to bottom post in the
    registry via the proper key or dword.

    Elector
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > You get the idea. The funny thing is that many programs are set as
    > default as to top post. You can however set it to bottom post in the
    > registry via the proper key or dword.
    >
    > Elector

    If you top post then I can read your reply in the Preview window and not
    have to open or scroll the post. :) But note that I did bottom this one.
    :P

    Rock
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
    news:v8Iwc.14658$AU1.783@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
    > > You get the idea. The funny thing is that many programs are set as
    > > default as to top post. You can however set it to bottom post in
    the
    > > registry via the proper key or dword.
    > >
    > > Elector
    >
    > If you top post then I can read your reply in the Preview window and
    not
    > have to open or scroll the post. :) But note that I did bottom
    this one.
    > :P
    >
    > Rock
    >
    >
    >

    The main point of the top versus bottom posting is that most of the
    net uses the bottom post method to read the complete thread and
    answers in the order they were received.

    There are a few die hard top posters who in certain groups (I noticed
    at Microsoft's groups many top post) other will not even respond to
    them. When I first came here many many years ago it was just Ben that
    top posted, then I remember metronid doing so and then we had a few
    undesirables (trolls) that would do so just to disrupt. When they were
    vanquished it was back to the regular few. Its not a big deal to me
    over all, I prefer to read down the page and not up and down to make a
    reply.

    There is quite a bit of discussion on the net over the top vs. bottom
    and even a few web sites that will tell you that there is even a
    standard that makes bottom posting the norm and top posting frowned
    upon.

    It is sort of like HTML and XTML being the cutting edge out today but
    many a users viewer can be pine, slrn, or turn or even another type
    of reader. In basic windows the option may be turned on or off. You
    can see where I am going with this.

    Elector
Ask a new question

Read More

Packard Bell BIOS Computer Computers