Internet Sharing

After weeks of struggling I am still trying to share my internet connection with my wireless centrino laptop. I can set up the network no problems, but when I attempt to share the internet with ICS the IP address changes automatically and then I cannot access the internet at all unless I manually change the IP address back to it's original settings. I am using a D Link access point on my home pc which the centrino laptop picks up ok. Will I need to buy something else which allows me more IP addresses as it looks like I need more than one? Any help greatly appreciated as I am running out of hair !!

peter

Yes i went through this pain barrier and in the end I paid for the ISP provider to sort it - not cheap as they struggled as well. The problem apparently is XP home has difficulty with this because it can't assign 192.168.0.1. So ignore this and manually configure wireless lan to 192.168.0.3 for the host, you can set up your client with any other number e.g. 192.168.0.4. Leave the DNS blank on your host, on the client for DNS and default gateway use 192.168.0.3. I am assuming your host internet requires manual Ip addresses.

Hope that helps

papa

Hi Terrier. I stopped using ICS altogether by buying a router (much simpler
installation than ICS). That way, all PCs are independent in that no host PC
has to be up and running before the other PCs can access the internet - yet
every PC in the LAN has the capability to access files on the other PCs. If
you decide to do this, make sure you buy a wireless router. I just bought
the Dlink DI-714P+ wireless router on eBay for about $60 including shipping
(to replace my wired router), and it includes a print server port and 4
Ethernet ports. It is designed for hookup to a cable or DSL modem.

For more info on the subject of networking, go to
www.practicallynetworked.com.