9800SE Softmod

I applied the softmod and now it reads as having 8 pipelines (powercolor
9800se). It shows instability at default core of 380mhz. Is the AtiTool a
good gauge?
I'm syked that i may have converted my SE into a normal 9800. How can i
verify?

HC

"Hervey Cleckley" <nick.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I applied the softmod and now it reads as having 8 pipelines (powercolor
> 9800se). It shows instability at default core of 380mhz. Is the AtiTool a
> good gauge?
> I'm syked that i may have converted my SE into a normal 9800. How can i
> verify?
>
> HC

On my 9500 (also softmodded) ATITool shows massive errors at 340/620 - but
do i see these errors in Quake III? Nope. Do i see any artefacts in any
games? Nope. Can i play Max Payne II with all the detail cranked up and not
have it crash? Yep.

AtiTool is good for overclocking and to an extent giving you a warning when
things are getting a little unstable - but dont pay too much attention to
the 3d view. As long as you dont get artefacting in games - you should be
okay.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:15:46 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
<kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>"Hervey Cleckley" <nick.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I applied the softmod and now it reads as having 8 pipelines (powercolor
>> 9800se). It shows instability at default core of 380mhz. Is the AtiTool a
>> good gauge?
>> I'm syked that i may have converted my SE into a normal 9800. How can i
>> verify?
>>
>> HC
>>

>On my 9500 (also softmodded) ATITool shows massive errors at 340/620 - but
>do i see these errors in Quake III? Nope. Do i see any artefacts in any
>games? Nope. Can i play Max Payne II with all the detail cranked up and not
>have it crash? Yep.
>
>AtiTool is good for overclocking and to an extent giving you a warning when
>things are getting a little unstable - but dont pay too much attention to
>the 3d view. As long as you dont get artefacting in games - you should be
>okay.

We all rely too much on software rather than our eyes. Knowing frame
rate, clock speeds etc. is a useful tool but the final judgement is to
look. If it looks alright then it is.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:12:39 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
waffled on about something:

>On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:15:46 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
><kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>

>>"Hervey Cleckley" <nick.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I applied the softmod and now it reads as having 8 pipelines (powercolor
>>> 9800se). It shows instability at default core of 380mhz. Is the AtiTool a
>>> good gauge?
>>> I'm syked that i may have converted my SE into a normal 9800. How can i
>>> verify?
>>>
>>> HC
>>>

>>On my 9500 (also softmodded) ATITool shows massive errors at 340/620 - but
>>do i see these errors in Quake III? Nope. Do i see any artefacts in any
>>games? Nope. Can i play Max Payne II with all the detail cranked up and not
>>have it crash? Yep.
>>
>>AtiTool is good for overclocking and to an extent giving you a warning when
>>things are getting a little unstable - but dont pay too much attention to
>>the 3d view. As long as you dont get artefacting in games - you should be
>>okay.
>
>We all rely too much on software rather than our eyes. Knowing frame
>rate, clock speeds etc. is a useful tool but the final judgement is to
>look. If it looks alright then it is.

Well said...

I unlocked my 9800se and have no idea if there are massive errors or
not... All I know is Battlefield looks great!

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES