XP Home Network Access Problem

I've set up a network of 4 PC's at home. 3 running XP SP2 and an old laptop
running Windows ME. The 3 PC's running XP are also running Norton Antivirus
(SystemWorks 2004). My problem is that I can access one of the XP PC's and
the Laptop from any computer, but I can't access the other two XP PC's from
any other computer. I've set up and network a number of times using different
names and PC descriptions etc - same problem, which is an error message
saying Access Denied.....do not have permissions. I can't find where to view
or change permissions. I've checked the services and protocols and the
windows and Norton firewall settings, all look the same on all three XP PC's.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Just to save confusion, switch off the windows firewall from the control
panel. Dont just switch it off on the lan connection, totally switch it off.

Second, switch off the Norton firewall as sometimes the network browser can
be denied access to the network if it was installed before the network
browser was needed to e used.

I know you say that the settings are all the same, but try disabling them
first, just incase. This will at least prove if it has anything to do with
the firewalls as usually, norton causes problems with this.

If that does not solve the issue, make sure that there is a common username,
like Dan on all systems.

Next make sure you can ping the machines. First try to ping them by name
(ping computer1) from run on the start menu. If that works, all is good from
a network communications point of view. If it doesn't then make sure that
they have the same subnet mask and are in the same range of ip's. If you
want, use the 192.168.x.x range and use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask.

Tell us how you get on with that...

"Idryan" <Idryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up a network of 4 PC's at home. 3 running XP SP2 and an old
> laptop
> running Windows ME. The 3 PC's running XP are also running Norton
> Antivirus
> (SystemWorks 2004). My problem is that I can access one of the XP PC's and
> the Laptop from any computer, but I can't access the other two XP PC's
> from
> any other computer. I've set up and network a number of times using
> different
> names and PC descriptions etc - same problem, which is an error message
> saying Access Denied.....do not have permissions. I can't find where to
> view
> or change permissions. I've checked the services and protocols and the
> windows and Norton firewall settings, all look the same on all three XP
> PC's.
> Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

First check you can ping all machines fron the suspect computer. If you can
then, may be, they are not on the same workgroup. They must be on the same
LAN (192.168.x.x) and must be in the same workgroup, WORKGROUP or MSHOME or
a name of your choice. Also, the user name on each computer must be the
same or you can try mapping a drive under a user name that you know exists
on the machine where the drive you are trying to access exisits.

Raajah