Separate monitor resolutions for each user - how to save ?

I'm running XP Pro, with dual monitors (no probs with them). I log in as
Admin. and I've created a limited account for my daughter on the same PC.
But when either of us changes screen resolution it saves the change in both
users' accounts - not helpful 'cos she likes it different to me, and I end up
having to rearrange my desktop every time after she's been logged in and used
her settings.

Maybe I set up the accounts wrong (?) - or is there any way of separating
these settings so that our different resolution choices can be made to
"stick" for each of our accounts ?

Thanks
Phil
2 answers Last reply
More about separate monitor resolutions user save

    I just found out on the MS support site that this is a "system wide setting"
    which applies screen changes to ALL users "by design"..... which seems CRAZY
    to me ! Does MS think that all users have the same eyesight, colour
    sensitivity, and positioning of icons ??? Surely we might all want to place
    icons differently around the screen to fit whatever resolution and background
    we prefer to use ?
    Even under Win 98 each user could set up their own desktop to their own
    needs - now it seems we are forced to all use one setting. I find this
    ridiculous.....

    Does anyone know if there's a work-around to enable different screen
    settings for different users ?
    Thanks
    Phil

    "Phil" wrote:

    > I'm running XP Pro, with dual monitors (no probs with them). I log in as
    > Admin. and I've created a limited account for my daughter on the same PC.
    > But when either of us changes screen resolution it saves the change in both
    > users' accounts - not helpful 'cos she likes it different to me, and I end up
    > having to rearrange my desktop every time after she's been logged in and used
    > her settings.
    >
    > Maybe I set up the accounts wrong (?) - or is there any way of separating
    > these settings so that our different resolution choices can be made to
    > "stick" for each of our accounts ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phil

    Windows XP does not natively permit different user's to retain their preferred
    screen resolution. However, the following program will add this feature.

    Allow Custom Display Settings for each user
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm

    [Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Phil" wrote:

    | I'm running XP Pro, with dual monitors (no probs with them). I log in as
    | Admin. and I've created a limited account for my daughter on the same PC.
    | But when either of us changes screen resolution it saves the change in both
    | users' accounts - not helpful 'cos she likes it different to me, and I end up
    | having to rearrange my desktop every time after she's been logged in and used
    | her settings.
    |
    | Maybe I set up the accounts wrong (?) - or is there any way of separating
    | these settings so that our different resolution choices can be made to
    | "stick" for each of our accounts ?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Phil

Windows XP