Need to access an account to retrieve data.

Hi, I have a customer who spilled water on his laptop. He doesn’t wish to
replace the motherboard, but buy a new laptop. $650.00 for a new board.

I connect the drive to my test machine via a USB connecter so I am not
booting from the customer hard drive. Try to go to the c:\Documents and
Setting\ user_folder and I get “access denied�. I have the user name and
password. So how can I access the data? Resetting the password is another
possibility?

Customer OS XP Home SP1?

Test Machine OS XP Pro SP2.
2 answers Last reply
More about need access account retrieve data

    This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
    to which you have been denied access:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Johnl124 wrote:
    > Hi, I have a customer who spilled water on his laptop. He doesn't wish to
    > replace the motherboard, but buy a new laptop. $650.00 for a new board.
    >
    > I connect the drive to my test machine via a USB connecter so I am not
    > booting from the customer hard drive. Try to go to the c:\Documents and
    > Setting\ user_folder and I get "access denied�. I have the user name and
    > password. So how can I access the data? Resetting the password is another
    > possibility?
    >
    > Customer OS XP Home SP1?
    >
    > Test Machine OS XP Pro SP2.

    Do a search in Help and Support for "Take Ownership of files and folders"

Windows XP