Need to access an account to retrieve data.

December 29, 2004 5:41:03 PM

Hi, I have a customer who spilled water on his laptop. He doesn’t wish to
replace the motherboard, but buy a new laptop. $650.00 for a new board.

I connect the drive to my test machine via a USB connecter so I am not
booting from the customer hard drive. Try to go to the c:\Documents and
Setting\ user_folder and I get “access denied�. I have the user name and
password. So how can I access the data? Resetting the password is another
possibility?

Customer OS XP Home SP1?

Test Machine OS XP Pro SP2.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:53:25 PM

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Johnl124" wrote:

| Hi, I have a customer who spilled water on his laptop. He doesn’t wish to
| replace the motherboard, but buy a new laptop. $650.00 for a new board.
|
| I connect the drive to my test machine via a USB connecter so I am not
| booting from the customer hard drive. Try to go to the c:\Documents and
| Setting\ user_folder and I get “access denied�. I have the user name and
| password. So how can I access the data? Resetting the password is another
| possibility?
|
| Customer OS XP Home SP1?
|
| Test Machine OS XP Pro SP2.
December 30, 2004 1:52:09 AM

Johnl124 wrote:
> Hi, I have a customer who spilled water on his laptop. He doesn't wish to
> replace the motherboard, but buy a new laptop. $650.00 for a new board.
>
> I connect the drive to my test machine via a USB connecter so I am not
> booting from the customer hard drive. Try to go to the c:\Documents and
> Setting\ user_folder and I get "access denied�. I have the user name and
> password. So how can I access the data? Resetting the password is another
> possibility?
>
> Customer OS XP Home SP1?
>
> Test Machine OS XP Pro SP2.

Do a search in Help and Support for "Take Ownership of files and folders"