WinXP stops loading at the welcome screen/

Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome screen
and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there and I could
move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But it just would go
no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right up..It did it again today
so I know I have some sort of problem.
Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
Could this be a videocard driver issue?
Or is windows hosed? thanks..
After the system does boot it runs fine all day..

Asus P4C 800 Deluxe
Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
Mushkin 3500 1 GB dual channel
120 GB Western Digital HD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
CL SB Audigy 2 / Cat 4.3 drivers
Kingwin 450W PSU
6 answers Last reply
More about winxp stops loading screen

    Golgatha left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
    > By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome screen
    > and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there and I could
    > move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But it just would go
    > no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right up..It did it again today
    > so I know I have some sort of problem.
    > Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
    > Could this be a videocard driver issue?
    > Or is windows hosed? thanks..
    > After the system does boot it runs fine all day..

    Have you checked the Windows error log?

    Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Error Log
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Golgatha left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
    > > By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome screen
    > > and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there and I
    could
    > > move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But it just would
    go
    > > no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right up..It did it again
    today
    > > so I know I have some sort of problem.
    > > Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
    > > Could this be a videocard driver issue?
    > > Or is windows hosed? thanks..
    > > After the system does boot it runs fine all day..
    >
    > Have you checked the Windows error log?
    >
    > Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Error Log
    > --
    >Yes I did Stoneskin, thats the first thing I checked..
    No errors from this problem what so ever, but thanks for your interest..it
    has not happened in 4 days now..

    Hi there,

    P4C800 Deluxe Connect 9800 AIW today my system got to the MS Windows start
    up screen and then the DVI connection stated 'no signal' to my NEC 2010x.
    Have done a fresh install of XP all working fine until I loaded the Connect
    9800 AIW drivers same thing is happening not sure WTH is going on but has
    something to do with the system all of a sudden not liking the drivers for
    this card have also tried the latest drivers from the Connect web site still
    the same problem.

    I assume my DVI input on my NEC is okay as I can use it until I load the
    drivers then it goes blank, so must be something up with the card any
    thoughts as to what is going on?

    Many thanks, Tim.

    "Golgatha" <golgatha58@mchsi.com> wrote in message

    > "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > > Golgatha left a note on my windscreen which said:
    > >
    > > > Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
    > > > By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome
    screen
    > > > and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there and I
    > could
    > > > move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But it just
    would
    > go
    > > > no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right up..It did it again
    > today
    > > > so I know I have some sort of problem.
    > > > Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
    > > > Could this be a videocard driver issue?
    > > > Or is windows hosed? thanks..
    > > > After the system does boot it runs fine all day..
    > >
    > > Have you checked the Windows error log?
    > >
    > > Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Error Log
    > > --
    > >Yes I did Stoneskin, thats the first thing I checked..
    > No errors from this problem what so ever, but thanks for your interest..it
    > has not happened in 4 days now..

    My computer does that when I have overclocked it just a little too much. If its going to fail, it
    does it at startup. If it makes it through startup, then, its fine unless I run something really
    processor intensive.

    Are you using an overclocked system? If not, I suspect something in your core processing (cpu,
    memory) that is marginally out of spec. Cant be a heating problem, because it occurs at startup.
    Also, the fact that this is a very intermittent problem doesnt imply drivers (which are a permanent
    fixture between boots), but rather a marginal stability problem. Although you may be getting god
    performance after boot, it may well be because you have not run anything on your machine that gives
    constant 100% utilization for hours at a time.... sooo....

    Try running Prime95 after your system has come up. Run it for 24 hours as a soak test. that will
    really test your processor and memory, and if you are getting errors with that, you either have an
    unstable system (or even a faulty component - from your system description, it sounds like it is all
    very new), or you've overclocked too far.

    BTW, I had your problem (mine was due to overclock), then ran a soak test, finding one error in
    about 48 hours. I reduced the overclock and havent had any problems - my computer can run
    indefinately at 100% CPU utilization without cooling or error problems, despite the fact that it is
    overclocked. I certainly get no lockups at startup anymore.

    the other thing it could be of course is a faulty hard drive, but I find that unlikely to occur
    without a warning from the OS - Windows tends to tell you when that happens, with 'this installation
    is corrupt' or some such, and it would repair the problem on next successful boot. the fact that
    you have seen this at least twice points me to hardware.

    Golgatha wrote:
    > Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
    > By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome
    > screen and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there
    > and I could move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But
    > it just would go no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right
    > up..It did it again today so I know I have some sort of problem.
    > Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
    > Could this be a videocard driver issue?
    > Or is windows hosed? thanks..
    > After the system does boot it runs fine all day..
    >
    > Asus P4C 800 Deluxe
    > Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    > Mushkin 3500 1 GB dual channel
    > 120 GB Western Digital HD
    > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    > CL SB Audigy 2 / Cat 4.3 drivers
    > Kingwin 450W PSU

    Try running chkdsk.

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > My computer does that when I have overclocked it just a little too much.
    If its going to fail, it
    > does it at startup. If it makes it through startup, then, its fine
    unless I run something really
    > processor intensive.
    >
    > Are you using an overclocked system? If not, I suspect something in your
    core processing (cpu,
    > memory) that is marginally out of spec. Cant be a heating problem,
    because it occurs at startup.
    > Also, the fact that this is a very intermittent problem doesnt imply
    drivers (which are a permanent
    > fixture between boots), but rather a marginal stability problem. Although
    you may be getting god
    > performance after boot, it may well be because you have not run anything
    on your machine that gives
    > constant 100% utilization for hours at a time.... sooo....
    >
    > Try running Prime95 after your system has come up. Run it for 24 hours as
    a soak test. that will
    > really test your processor and memory, and if you are getting errors with
    that, you either have an
    > unstable system (or even a faulty component - from your system
    description, it sounds like it is all
    > very new), or you've overclocked too far.
    >
    > BTW, I had your problem (mine was due to overclock), then ran a soak test,
    finding one error in
    > about 48 hours. I reduced the overclock and havent had any problems - my
    computer can run
    > indefinately at 100% CPU utilization without cooling or error problems,
    despite the fact that it is
    > overclocked. I certainly get no lockups at startup anymore.
    >
    > the other thing it could be of course is a faulty hard drive, but I find
    that unlikely to occur
    > without a warning from the OS - Windows tends to tell you when that
    happens, with 'this installation
    > is corrupt' or some such, and it would repair the problem on next
    successful boot. the fact that
    > you have seen this at least twice points me to hardware.

    > Golgatha wrote:
    > > Just the other day windows stopped loading at the welcome screen..
    > > By that I mean, in the boot prosess, it got as far as the welcome
    > > screen and never made it to the desktop.. The mouse curser was there
    > > and I could move it around, so I know the system did not lock up..But
    > > it just would go no farther.. I did a hard boot and it came right
    > > up..It did it again today so I know I have some sort of problem.
    > > Anyone out there seen this problem and fixed it?
    > > Could this be a videocard driver issue?
    > > Or is windows hosed? thanks..
    > > After the system does boot it runs fine all day..
    > >
    > > Asus P4C 800 Deluxe
    > > Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    > > Mushkin 3500 1 GB dual channel
    > > 120 GB Western Digital HD
    > > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    > > CL SB Audigy 2 / Cat 4.3 drivers
    > > Kingwin 450W PSU
    >
    > Thanks Sham B, If you noticed, I said the system is not locking up. I can
    still move the mouse around..I have run Prime 95 for days without any
    hardware failures, one of the first thing I tried. I also have run Memtest
    86 for a day without any errors..
    Thanks for your help though.. I think I found the problem..
    I was running a bata copy of X Fire that appears to have been causing the
    issue.. thanks again for you input..You brought up some very good points!

Radeon Boot Graphics