Device error 6144 on restore from cd?

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Hi,

A friend of mine has a Packard Bell, with restore cds labelled
6733860501 and 6733870501. I'm trying to restore as new, but when
running it looks at the floppy drive and comes up with 'Device Error
Code 6144' and Dos Error 2.

What is it looking for and can I get around this??

I cannot see any model number on the machine. The m/b has a barcode of
PB502XAU and it is a Celeron 333 with 64Mb RAM. Its a slot 1 m/b with
2 PCI slots and 1 ISA slot.

TIA
Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Thet is the exact error code

In any case you are booting from the CD
as this system most likely supports CDROM booting
and it is enabled in Bios

The other question is
What do you mean when it looks at the floppy drive

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:48:37 GMT, nospampsteel@tesco.net (GasMan)
wrote:

>Hi,
*SNIP*

>TIA
>Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

What's the S/N? Feed that into http://www.packardbell.co.uk and see
what comes up. IT'll tell you the build, core rig, etc. etc.

If it can get to the recovery program, run the MCD check (tools,
master cd check) and make sure you don't have some toasted disks

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

It comes up with the Abort, Fail, Retry dos error and then enters the
restore program. Choosing option 1 Standard. it then accesses the
floppy drive and gives the error code I was asking about.

The PC is set to boot from the CD drive before the HD, but does not,
so these CDs are not bootable.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:50:54 -0700, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thet is the exact error code
>
>In any case you are booting from the CD
>as this system most likely supports CDROM booting
>and it is enabled in Bios
>
>The other question is
>What do you mean when it looks at the floppy drive
>

>"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> A friend of mine has a Packard Bell, with restore cds labelled
>> 6733860501 and 6733870501. I'm trying to restore as new, but when
>> running it looks at the floppy drive and comes up with 'Device Error
>> Code 6144' and Dos Error 2.
>>
>> What is it looking for and can I get around this??
>>
>> I cannot see any model number on the machine. The m/b has a barcode of
>> PB502XAU and it is a Celeron 333 with 64Mb RAM. Its a slot 1 m/b with
>> 2 PCI slots and 1 ISA slot.
>>
>> TIA
>> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

S/N is B549300861, but nothing is found on the site.

The S/N retrieval software also states that it cannot find the serial
number. The S/N above is on the back of the tower.

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:57:30 +0100, thedoktor@1337ict.co.uk wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:48:37 GMT, nospampsteel@tesco.net (GasMan)
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>*SNIP*
>>
>>TIA
>>Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.
>
>What's the S/N? Feed that into http://www.packardbell.co.uk and see
>what comes up. IT'll tell you the build, core rig, etc. etc.
>
>If it can get to the recovery program, run the MCD check (tools,
>master cd check) and make sure you don't have some toasted disks

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

You tried each CD
> It comes up with the Abort, Fail, Retry dos error and then enters the
> restore program. Choosing option 1 Standard. it then accesses the
> floppy drive and gives the error code I was asking about.
>
> The PC is set to boot from the CD drive before the HD, but does not,
> so these CDs are not bootable.
>
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:50:54 -0700, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Thet is the exact error code
> >
> >In any case you are booting from the CD
> >as this system most likely supports CDROM booting
> >and it is enabled in Bios
> >
> >The other question is
> >What do you mean when it looks at the floppy drive
> >

> >"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> A friend of mine has a Packard Bell, with restore cds labelled
> >> 6733860501 and 6733870501. I'm trying to restore as new, but when
> >> running it looks at the floppy drive and comes up with 'Device Error
> >> Code 6144' and Dos Error 2.
> >>
> >> What is it looking for and can I get around this??
> >>
> >> I cannot see any model number on the machine. The m/b has a barcode of
> >> PB502XAU and it is a Celeron 333 with 64Mb RAM. Its a slot 1 m/b with
> >> 2 PCI slots and 1 ISA slot.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.
> >>

> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Nope, just master disk 1. I'll try master disk 2 tomorrow. Off to work
now.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:35:13 -0700, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
wrote:

>You tried each CD
>"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> It comes up with the Abort, Fail, Retry dos error and then enters the
>> restore program. Choosing option 1 Standard. it then accesses the
>> floppy drive and gives the error code I was asking about.
>>
>> The PC is set to boot from the CD drive before the HD, but does not,
>> so these CDs are not bootable.
>>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:50:54 -0700, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thet is the exact error code
>> >
>> >In any case you are booting from the CD
>> >as this system most likely supports CDROM booting
>> >and it is enabled in Bios
>> >
>> >The other question is
>> >What do you mean when it looks at the floppy drive
>> >

>> >"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message

>> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Just tried Master disc 2. It just has a directory of Money98 and Parts
on it, and is not bootable.
Master disc 1 is not bootable. the PC looks at it first and then moves
on to the HD.

Is the floppy the same for all m/cs?, as my neighbour has a PB, though
not this model whatever it is.

wrote:

>You tried each CD
>"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> It comes up with the Abort, Fail, Retry dos error and then enters the
>> restore program. Choosing option 1 Standard. it then accesses the
>> floppy drive and gives the error code I was asking about.
>>
>> The PC is set to boot from the CD drive before the HD, but does not,
>> so these CDs are not bootable.
>>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:50:54 -0700, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thet is the exact error code
>> >
>> >In any case you are booting from the CD
>> >as this system most likely supports CDROM booting
>> >and it is enabled in Bios
>> >
>> >The other question is
>> >What do you mean when it looks at the floppy drive
>> >

>> >"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message

>> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

For anyone else with a similiar problem a boot disk may be found here.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=6929690000&PibItemParent=platform_legacy_PB#show

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A friend of mine has a Packard Bell, with restore cds labelled
>6733860501 and 6733870501. I'm trying to restore as new, but when
>running it looks at the floppy drive and comes up with 'Device Error
>Code 6144' and Dos Error 2.
>
>What is it looking for and can I get around this??
>
>I cannot see any model number on the machine. The m/b has a barcode of
>PB502XAU and it is a Celeron 333 with 64Mb RAM. Its a slot 1 m/b with
>2 PCI slots and 1 ISA slot.
>
>TIA
>Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Hi,

I have a Packard Bell 9300 computer with a motherboard the same as the one
you describe below.

The motherboard model number appears to be E139761. But I can find nothing
about this motherboard on the Packard Bell or Intel’s websites. How
do I find a BIOS update or what kind of RAM I need for it?

Hadrian.

The e139761 is a manufacturer's code, but not the part number. There are two
ways to tell what the model of the board is. An Intel AA number appears on a
white sticker affixed to the board. The BIOS identification offers the easiest
way to identify an Intel-made motherboard. Hit the F2 (usually) key to enter
the BIOS setup just after powering on the computer.

I would not hold out a lot of hope for a BIOS upgrade if PB's web site does not
have one. Intel customized its BIOS with a manufacturer identifier which
prohibits all but the most intrepid hackers from updating a PB-branded
motherboard with a generic Intel BIOS.

If you RSVP with the processor speed, possibly someone can tell you what the
memory requirements are. Intel made early Pentium II boards to use 72-pin
SIMMs, later ones to use non-parity 168-pin SDRAM memory in different speed
grades. Early Intel SDRAM boards are picky about using the EXACT speed grade of
memory, PC66, PC100 or PC133... Ben Myers