Unable to share files or printer

The equipment:

Compaq Presario S6300NX Desktop PC (Windows XP Home -- fully updated)
Compaq Presario 700US Notebook PC (Windows XP Home -- fully updated)
Linksys 802.11b Model BEFW11S4 (Broadband Router/Network Hub)
Linksys 802.11b Wireless PCMCIA card
Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem

The situation:

The main PC (the desktop) is connected to the router via cat-5 cable, the
cable modem is connected to the router via cat-5 cable also. The notebook
is connected via the wireless card. I am familiar with most basic and some
advanced terminology, so I hope you will excuse my lack of technical jargon
and my ignorance.

I can access the Internet from both computers -- full access, no problems.
Web-sites, email, IM programs, etc.

I cannot, however, seem to get the two computers to communicate with one
another. I have enabled Sharing in various folders on both computers,
including the printer (connected directly to the desktop PC), and have run
the Network Setup Wizard on both systems. Even wiring the notebook directly
to the hub does not allow file and printer sharing. I am led to believe
that there are various settings in Windows on the two computers that are not
set up properly.

HELP!? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Tristan L. Bontz

First check your firewall on your computers. Turn the firewall off.
Next make sure you have the network set up right.

I am asuming you have two different names for the computers- Not Compaq. Go to right click "My computer"
left click "Properties" Click on "Computer Name". This needs to be done on each computer on the network. They each need a different name.

Re do the network wizard.

Make sure you view the connection type.

Check My network place when you are done.

I hope this helps.

It's the "make sure you have the network setup right" part that is killing
me. How do I "set it up right?" I'm not a network engineer, and can only
get a "hit and miss" network going, but want it set up properly. . .

Each computer has a different name, and both are in the same workgroup --
that much I am 100% certain of. I've run the setup wizard, but to no avail.
How do I manually configure the network.

Some settings got glitched somewhere, somehow and I am trying to correct
them, but can't remember what I did initially to set it all up.

Also, when I had it functioning properly, the darn wireless card would keep
plugging and unplugging and logging on and off the network -- how do I
prevent this and get a solid connection?

"D man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First check your firewall on your computers. Turn the firewall off.
> Next make sure you have the network set up right.
>
> I am asuming you have two different names for the computers- Not Compaq.
Go to right click "My computer"
> left click "Properties" Click on "Computer Name". This needs to be done
on each computer on the network. They each need a different name.

> Re do the network wizard.
>
> Make sure you view the connection type.
>
> Check My network place when you are done.
>
> I hope this helps.

I'm experiencing a very similar problem.
I have two computers running XP Home.
One is a desktop connected to my linksys g wireless router by ethernet,
and the other is a laptop connected wirelessly.

Both computers are able to route web pages
Both computers can see each others shared folders if my firewire cable is plugged in
But unplug that, and I can't see the shared folder any more (and the odd time when I try to view workgroup computers, it tells me that I might not have admin rights, but I am the administrator). I haven't yet tried disabling the hardware firewall, but I have the software firewalls disabled

firewall off ????????????

the bbc here in the uk have just run an article expaining how vulerable (umm
cant spell today)
wireless connections are to hackers and to always have the firewall enabled.

I have the same problem. I have two computers, each running XP. One is always hardwired to the network. The other is a laptop. If I hard wire the laptop, I can share with the other computer. If I use the wireless card, I cannot share. I'm using a linksys wireless router connected to a DSL modem. The laptop has no problems connecting to the internet with the wireless card.