Is WinXP file encryption disabled in Win XP Home version?

I looked in help files, and when I right click etc, the "Encrypt.." check
box is there but greyed out (inactive)
I googled for for the answer and came up with lots for winxp pro but nothing
for home.
There are lots of things de-activated for the home version, does anyone know
if encryption is one of them?

EFS (Encrypted File System) is not available in Windows XP Home.
If you need EFS, you need Pro.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"bluddihun" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I looked in help files, and when I right click etc, the "Encrypt.." check
>box is there but greyed out (inactive)
> I googled for for the answer and came up with lots for winxp pro but
> nothing for home.
> There are lots of things de-activated for the home version, does anyone
> know if encryption is one of them?

There are really only two things that set XP Home apart from XP Pro, both
security related:

1) EFS is not included
2) You can't join a domain

So, in a sense EFS is not disabled in the Home version -- it's not included.

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

"bluddihun" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I looked in help files, and when I right click etc, the "Encrypt.." check
>box is there but greyed out (inactive)
> I googled for for the answer and came up with lots for winxp pro but
> nothing for home.
> There are lots of things de-activated for the home version, does anyone
> know if encryption is one of them?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003