XP local user accounts

Hi,

I'm setting up an XP system for my family. The system will be used by
several adults and a couple of kids.

I want to use contents advisor in Microsoft Explorer to block the kids from
accessing any adult content. I'd also like to be able to log what sites the
kids are looking at or trying to look at. At the same time, I want to leave
the adults free to do what they want.

Up till now, however, I've only been able to configure the contents advisor
for all accounts. I want to configure it separately for each Windows XP user
account. Is there a way to do this?

Cheers

Karl
5 answers Last reply
More about local user accounts

    Hi Karl-

    Your question has a rather large amount of subjectivity in it, more I
    suspect than you may realize. The kind of control which you want to achieve
    while definitely possible within XP and IE on their own - you'll have to
    tweak both elemnts to get what you want - is not "easy" (here's the
    subjectivity part: how much of a Windows Whizard are you? How much = and how
    deep - into Windows XP are you willing delve?), but nor is it especially
    hard. It - likely for you - _will_ be time-consuming, though (nothing
    personal or derogatory, but if you have to ask the question "CAN it be
    done..." it seems apparent you are unaware of how envolved the three main
    elements of NTFS permissions, XP policies, and IE/Explorer capabilites work
    in your scenario). Not everybody wants to be an XP-Whizard, theu just want it
    to XP-Work.

    These subjective things are questions I get the impression you need to
    answer, as I suspect you are a casual Windows User and not the XP-literate
    more-advanced-than-most-but-by-no-means-do-you-need-to-be-a-Gandalf-The-White-XP-Whizard
    to do this, but you will need to now how to work with Group Policies, NTFS
    permissions, the Registry, and enabling/diabling control features within both
    Internet Explorer and Windows explorer in order to "lockdown" the kids'
    accounts. Not simple everyday stuff, but then again not that terribly
    difficult either. It's subjective: how much do you want to know to do this on
    your own? If you do want to know how, let us know in your next post.

    There are, however other alternatives. Two 1/2 come to mind right away:
    The first is Nortons Internet Security
    (http://www.symantec.com/product/index_homecomp.html). This product has
    virtually everything you need for a secure and controlled internet-access
    computer/workgroup.

    The other 1 (and 1/2... 2 b explained;-) is the ZoneAlarm security Suite by
    Zone Labs (http://www.zonealarm.com/ on the home page click the Home/Office
    products then use their Compare tool/link to help you through the
    possibilites). The 1/2 possibillity is the free ZoneAlarm product - to save a
    few bucks - but you won't get the Parental controls you want.

    Both of these products are excellant (I use Nortons at present but may try
    ZA when my subscription runs out...). Norton's Internet Security is fairly
    easy (for me, at least) to use, I can't say from experience anything about
    ZoneAlarm but I hear marvelous things from reliable sources. One of them is
    Steve Gibson at http://www.GRC.com/. He also makes a remark against Norton
    IS, but that comment was made some time ago and is no longer as
    "disagreeable" as it was when he made it (Symantec has changed the product
    since then, and IMHO the issue, while some presnece still remains, is nowhere
    near as detrimental as it was). To each his own.

    Good luck, good hunting, and happy new year!

    "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm setting up an XP system for my family. The system will be used by
    > several adults and a couple of kids.
    >
    > I want to use contents advisor in Microsoft Explorer to block the kids
    > from
    > accessing any adult content. I'd also like to be able to log what sites
    > the
    > kids are looking at or trying to look at. At the same time, I want to
    > leave
    > the adults free to do what they want.
    >
    > Up till now, however, I've only been able to configure the contents
    > advisor
    > for all accounts. I want to configure it separately for each Windows XP
    > user
    > account. Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Karl

    Karl,

    Nope... that's how Content Advisor works and it's "by design" as Microsoft
    likes to say. There are some third-party products out there that might give
    you more flexibility but I don't use them so I can't make any suggestions.

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    well, can't say if you can use it on same computer, but there are programs
    that are build to make child's surfing the net safe.
    www.cyberpatrol.com is one of them.
    Ashok S.

    "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
    ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:4CF0D6BE-D5AC-45F1-895F-BA5D77FAA1B3@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm setting up an XP system for my family. The system will be used by
    > several adults and a couple of kids.
    >
    > I want to use contents advisor in Microsoft Explorer to block the kids
    > from
    > accessing any adult content. I'd also like to be able to log what sites
    > the
    > kids are looking at or trying to look at. At the same time, I want to
    > leave
    > the adults free to do what they want.
    >
    > Up till now, however, I've only been able to configure the contents
    > advisor
    > for all accounts. I want to configure it separately for each Windows XP
    > user
    > account. Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Karl

    there are ways to do it, that are not built into Windows.

    one way that would work in an ideal world would be to set up everybody's
    account to block all content with Ratings above zero. then acquire a macro
    recording program, and record every keystroke you use to change the level of
    content allowed for users of Adult accounts. then put your recorded macro
    in the Startup folder for users of Adult accounts only, but not users of
    Child accounts.

    but alas, this is not an ideal world. although the tools would work, the
    effectiveness depends on compliance by all the world wide web sites, which
    as it turns out, do Not all have Ratings. lots of good web sites and lots
    of bad web sites do Not have Ratings. choosing to Block all the web sites
    that have no Rating will eliminate many perfectly good and appropriate web
    sites.

    even if they all had Ratings and the ratings were not false, this system of
    Ratings would only protect your children, if the only program they ever use
    to interact with the internet was Internet Explorer. to achieve that, you
    would have to remove access to any Email program, instant messaging / chat
    program, music player program with access to vulgar songs or stations, file
    swapping program, FTP, telephone dialer program, and conferencing program,
    all of which are built into Windows.

    and even all the above would not meet your need to log their activities.
    looks like your best choice for now is Cyberpatrol.com

    but eventually they will grow up, fully protected from all the bad
    influences of the world, thanks to Cyberpatrol, Vchips, and Home-schooling.
    then will they be prepared to deal with bad influences of the world ? i
    certainly was not, when i left home, and took my first job -- with a foreign
    oil company near Bangkok. at what point do we gradually expose them to the
    ugliness of the real world, and how slowly ? certainly that's up to each
    parent to decide -- not me.

    maybe the world would be a better place, if we took away all the telephones,
    cell phones, TVs, radios, internet connections, and raised all our children
    the way Amish do. the Amish are certainly stable and morally upright.

    "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I'm setting up an XP system for my family. The system will be used by
    several adults and a couple of kids.

    I want to use contents advisor in Microsoft Explorer to block the kids from
    accessing any adult content. I'd also like to be able to log what sites the
    kids are looking at or trying to look at. At the same time, I want to leave
    the adults free to do what they want.

    Up till now, however, I've only been able to configure the contents advisor
    for all accounts. I want to configure it separately for each Windows XP user
    account. Is there a way to do this?

    Cheers

    Karl

    Hi Danor,

    I am interested in implementing this kind of security without using any 3rd
    party tools. Although IMHO Microsoft should have offered this kind of
    parental control for WinXP users. Making these tasks so diffiuclt for an
    average user that they have to use 3rd party tools in not the best marketing.
    But till the time that Microsoft Gurus will do some thing about it, please
    advise me how to restrict my kids accounts for accessing specific Internet
    sites.

    Regards, Amir

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP