ATI 9800 AIW Pro - <300w Power supply?

What problems would occur if you use a 9800 AIW Pro graphics card with a
machine that has a power supply rated at less than 300 watts. Would I see a
problem with my display? I'm currently seeing small boxes with white on
black or black on white dots when running 3D games or images.

Andrew

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:37:42 GMT, "Chris Carter" <carterc@comcast.net>
wrote:

>What problems would occur if you use a 9800 AIW Pro graphics card with a
>machine that has a power supply rated at less than 300 watts. Would I see a
>problem with my display? I'm currently seeing small boxes with white on
>black or black on white dots when running 3D games or images.

That may well be caused by the PSU, although its not guaranteed to be
the problem. You are asking for trouble generally by using less than
300W on a modern system.

Andrew wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:37:42 GMT, "Chris Carter" <carterc@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >What problems would occur if you use a 9800 AIW Pro graphics card with a
> >machine that has a power supply rated at less than 300 watts. Would I see a
> >problem with my display? I'm currently seeing small boxes with white on
> >black or black on white dots when running 3D games or images.
>
> That may well be caused by the PSU, although its not guaranteed to be
> the problem. You are asking for trouble generally by using less than
> 300W on a modern system.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

i have my 9800pro running on a 250w power supply. No problems here.
--
:-=ceebs=-:

icq 118414125
yahoo supercbuk
www.gamb1er.com

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:23:30 +0100, ceebs <news_NOSPAMMER@talk21.com>
wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:37:42 GMT, "Chris Carter" <carterc@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >What problems would occur if you use a 9800 AIW Pro graphics card with a
>> >machine that has a power supply rated at less than 300 watts. Would I see a
>> >problem with my display? I'm currently seeing small boxes with white on
>> >black or black on white dots when running 3D games or images.
>>
>> That may well be caused by the PSU, although its not guaranteed to be
>> the problem. You are asking for trouble generally by using less than
>> 300W on a modern system.
>> --
>> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
>> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
>> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
>> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
>
>i have my 9800pro running on a 250w power supply. No problems here.

it depend on how strong is your amperage on the 12 volt rail...

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:24:29 -0400, DreamMaker
<onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> waffled on about something:

>On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:23:30 +0100, ceebs <news_NOSPAMMER@talk21.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Andrew wrote:

>>> That may well be caused by the PSU, although its not guaranteed to be
>>> the problem. You are asking for trouble generally by using less than
>>> 300W on a modern system.
>>> --
>>> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
>>> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
>>> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
>>> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
>>
>>i have my 9800pro running on a 250w power supply. No problems here.
>

>it depend on how strong is your amperage on the 12 volt rail...

Plus what else he has in the case eating the amps... Big CPU with fan,
a few hard drives etc...

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

You would see corruption on the screen of the image AND you can damage your
computer's components.

--
DaveW