Problem installing drivers? 9700

SP

I keep getting the message

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard
VGA driver before running setup"

when trying to reinstall drivers for my 9700 Pro.

I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, tried the latest Omega drivers and got the message. Also
tried the latest cat drivers with the same results. (and the old one's I originally removed).

I used all the progs to make sure there are no left overs hanging around, and still no joy.

Any one have any advice?

Cheers.

SP left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I keep getting the message
>
> "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard
> VGA driver before running setup"
>
> when trying to reinstall drivers for my 9700 Pro.
>
> I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, tried the latest Omega drivers and got the message. Also
> tried the latest cat drivers with the same results. (and the old one's I originally removed).
>
> I used all the progs to make sure there are no left overs hanging around, and still no joy.
>
> Any one have any advice?

Uninstall the device from the Device Manager.
Run the ATI uninstaller from the ATI website.
Reboot into safe mode and try installing the drivers there.
Reboot back into Windows.

IIRC this is how I did it last time I got that message.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Slug

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:16:21 +0100, Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>Uninstall the device from the Device Manager.
>Run the ATI uninstaller from the ATI website.
>Reboot into safe mode and try installing the drivers there.
>Reboot back into Windows.
>
>IIRC this is how I did it last time I got that message.

I had that problem once and it was because I didn't install a standard
vga driver before running the ATI install program.

peter

After you uninstall all old Radeon driver go to
start/run
type in msconfig
hit the "boot.ini" tab
checkmark../base video
reboot
XP will now restart with plain old XP drivers
After you install the new Radeon drivers and before you reboot be sure to
uncheck../base video
peter
"SP" <shshs@hsjs.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting the message
>
> "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display
adapter with a standard
> VGA driver before running setup"
>
> when trying to reinstall drivers for my 9700 Pro.
>
> I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, tried the latest Omega drivers and
got the message. Also
> tried the latest cat drivers with the same results. (and the old one's I
originally removed).

> I used all the progs to make sure there are no left overs hanging around, and
still no joy.

> Any one have any advice?
>
> Cheers.

SP

In article <MPG.1af3ad6d68d9835e98969d@news.iprimus.com.au>, shshs@hsjs.com says...
> I keep getting the message
>
> "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard
> VGA driver before running setup"
>
> when trying to reinstall drivers for my 9700 Pro.
>
> I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, tried the latest Omega drivers and got the message. Also
> tried the latest cat drivers with the same results. (and the old one's I originally removed).
>
> I used all the progs to make sure there are no left overs hanging around, and still no joy.
>
> Any one have any advice?
>
> Cheers.

Thanks for the help, I'm sorted now.

Running the ATI uninstaller in safe mode seemed to cure the problem.