Should I switch cards for DVI-D input?

I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
switch.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both cables. I
tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI you'll
never go back to VGA.

Al

"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both
cables. I
> tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI
you'll
> never go back to VGA.
>
> Al

A buddy of mine said the *exact* same thing!

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Look at the specs for the monitor. Some monitors have different resolution
and frequency capabilities depending on whether they are driven through
DVI-I, DVI-D and/or VGA. I was just looking at a 30" LG LCD that can do
higher resolutions in digital than it can in analogue, so something to check
for.

Cya, Rick

"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
> switch.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:26:04 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote:

>"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
>> I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both
>cables. I
>> tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI
>you'll
>> never go back to VGA.
>>
>> Al
>>

>A buddy of mine said the *exact* same thing!

Well, I switched and I don't see much of a difference if any. And I
have the latest driver for this ATI 9200 card...

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
> switch.

I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?

A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue connection.
The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.

DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
missing.

Does that help?

Chip

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:21:43 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
>> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
>> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
>> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
>> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
>> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
>> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
>> switch.
>
>I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?
>
>A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue connection.
>The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
>adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.
>
>DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
>completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
>missing.
>
>Does that help?
>
>Chip

The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I. My new monitor has a
DVI-D connection. The graphics card on my other computer has a DVI-D
input.. In order to have a direct connection I must switch graphics
cards.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:21:43 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
> >> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
> >> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
> >> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
> >> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
> >> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
> >> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
> >> switch.
> >
> >I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?
> >
> >A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue
connection.
> >The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
> >adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.
> >
> >DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
> >completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
> >missing.
> >
> >Does that help?
> >
> >Chip
> >
> The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I. My new monitor has a
> DVI-D connection. The graphics card on my other computer has a DVI-D
> input.. In order to have a direct connection I must switch graphics
> cards.

I don't know if you clearly read what I posted, but I think you are
confused.

(Also you say "The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I". Computers
don't have digital *inputs*. You mean output, I guess??)

Well anyway, please read again:

DVD-I is the same as DVI-D, except that DVD-I also contains analogue pins.

Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the DVI-I input on
your monitor. There is no problem with this. There is no point whatsoever
in swapping a graphics card that has DVI-I for one that has DVI-D. DVI-I
will do everything (and more) that DVI-D can do.

Does this help explain?

Cheers,

Chip.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

Damn! I made a typo:

I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
DVI-I input on your monitor."

Sorry, I meant:

"you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
your monitor"

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:23:53 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>Damn! I made a typo:
>
>I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
>DVI-I input on your monitor."
>
>Sorry, I meant:
>
>"you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
>your monitor"

OK. I tried and it didn't seem to fit. I'll try again. If that's
the case you are right. What I met by "input" and "output" is that my
graphics card has a DVI-I connection and the monitor cable is a DVD-D
connection.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:23:53 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Damn! I made a typo:
> >
> >I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
> >DVI-I input on your monitor."
> >
> >Sorry, I meant:
> >
> >"you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
> >your monitor"
> >

> OK. I tried and it didn't seem to fit. I'll try again. If that's
> the case you are right. What I met by "input" and "output" is that my
> graphics card has a DVI-I connection and the monitor cable is a DVD-D
> connection.

DVI-I & DVI-D use the same connector, so they *will* fit. If they don't
then one of them is not a DVI connector.

> Thanks for taking the time to respond

Hey no problem :)

Chip