Should I switch cards for DVI-D input?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
switch.
10 answers Last reply
More about should switch cards input
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both cables. I
    tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI you'll
    never go back to VGA.

    Al

    "John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    news:g2vi80d98a0md7de7pfc5dt4mbb35087dg@4ax.com...
    > I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
    > and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
    > a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
    > this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
    > However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
    > that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
    > see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
    > switch.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    news:gygic.28769$L75.18756@fed1read06...
    > I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both
    cables. I
    > tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI
    you'll
    > never go back to VGA.
    >
    > Al
    >


    A buddy of mine said the *exact* same thing!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Look at the specs for the monitor. Some monitors have different resolution
    and frequency capabilities depending on whether they are driven through
    DVI-I, DVI-D and/or VGA. I was just looking at a 30" LG LCD that can do
    higher resolutions in digital than it can in analogue, so something to check
    for.

    Cya, Rick

    "John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    news:g2vi80d98a0md7de7pfc5dt4mbb35087dg@4ax.com...
    > I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
    > and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
    > a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
    > this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
    > However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
    > that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
    > see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
    > switch.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:26:04 -0600, "NightSky 421"
    <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote:

    >"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    >news:gygic.28769$L75.18756@fed1read06...
    >> I just got a 20.2 inch Viewsonic LCD monitor. It came with both
    >cables. I
    >> tried it both ways, the DVI display is MUCH better. Once you try DVI
    >you'll
    >> never go back to VGA.
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >
    >
    >A buddy of mine said the *exact* same thing!
    >
    Well, I switched and I don't see much of a difference if any. And I
    have the latest driver for this ATI 9200 card...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    news:g2vi80d98a0md7de7pfc5dt4mbb35087dg@4ax.com...
    > I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
    > and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
    > a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
    > this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
    > However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
    > that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
    > see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
    > switch.

    I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?

    A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue connection.
    The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
    adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.

    DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
    completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
    missing.

    Does that help?

    Chip
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:21:43 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >news:g2vi80d98a0md7de7pfc5dt4mbb35087dg@4ax.com...
    >> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
    >> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
    >> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
    >> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
    >> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
    >> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
    >> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
    >> switch.
    >
    >I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?
    >
    >A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue connection.
    >The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
    >adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.
    >
    >DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
    >completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
    >missing.
    >
    >Does that help?
    >
    >Chip
    >
    The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I. My new monitor has a
    DVI-D connection. The graphics card on my other computer has a DVI-D
    input.. In order to have a direct connection I must switch graphics
    cards.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    news:pc8n8059hdrmjp9scjpnpsvc3dpf5v81n3@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:21:43 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >news:g2vi80d98a0md7de7pfc5dt4mbb35087dg@4ax.com...
    > >> I just purchased a new 19 inch monitor. It comes with a DVI-D cable
    > >> and an analog cable. My current graphics card in my main machine has
    > >> a DVI-I connector and so I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter to run
    > >> this monitor. I have a second VGA monitor on the VGA connector.
    > >> However, I do have a graphics card of equal quality in another machine
    > >> that has a DVI-D connector. If I switch graphics cards am I going to
    > >> see a noticeable difference? If not, then I won't bother with the
    > >> switch.
    > >
    > >I am confused here. Why would you want to switch graphics cards?
    > >
    > >A DVD-I connector will drive a either a digital or an analogue
    connection.
    > >The "I" means Integrated, i.e. Analogue and Digital. So just unplug the
    > >adapter and connect to the monitor using the digital cable.
    > >
    > >DVD-D is digital only. It is in no way superior to DVD-I. In fact its
    > >completely identical with the single exception that the analog pins are
    > >missing.
    > >
    > >Does that help?
    > >
    > >Chip
    > >
    > The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I. My new monitor has a
    > DVI-D connection. The graphics card on my other computer has a DVI-D
    > input.. In order to have a direct connection I must switch graphics
    > cards.

    I don't know if you clearly read what I posted, but I think you are
    confused.

    (Also you say "The digital input on my main computer is DVI-I". Computers
    don't have digital *inputs*. You mean output, I guess??)

    Well anyway, please read again:

    DVD-I is the same as DVI-D, except that DVD-I also contains analogue pins.

    Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the DVI-I input on
    your monitor. There is no problem with this. There is no point whatsoever
    in swapping a graphics card that has DVI-I for one that has DVI-D. DVI-I
    will do everything (and more) that DVI-D can do.

    Does this help explain?

    Cheers,

    Chip.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Damn! I made a typo:

    I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
    DVI-I input on your monitor."

    Sorry, I meant:

    "you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
    your monitor"
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:23:53 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >Damn! I made a typo:
    >
    >I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
    >DVI-I input on your monitor."
    >
    >Sorry, I meant:
    >
    >"you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
    >your monitor"
    >
    >
    OK. I tried and it didn't seem to fit. I'll try again. If that's
    the case you are right. What I met by "input" and "output" is that my
    graphics card has a DVI-I connection and the monitor cable is a DVD-D
    connection.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    news:mmqp80toc38gtff2jcp8vn8djtkvomremb@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:23:53 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Damn! I made a typo:
    > >
    > >I said: "Therefore, you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the
    > >DVI-I input on your monitor."
    > >
    > >Sorry, I meant:
    > >
    > >"you can connect a DVI-I output from your PC to the ***DVI-D*** input on
    > >your monitor"
    > >
    > >
    > OK. I tried and it didn't seem to fit. I'll try again. If that's
    > the case you are right. What I met by "input" and "output" is that my
    > graphics card has a DVI-I connection and the monitor cable is a DVD-D
    > connection.

    DVI-I & DVI-D use the same connector, so they *will* fit. If they don't
    then one of them is not a DVI connector.

    > Thanks for taking the time to respond

    Hey no problem :-)

    Chip
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Switch Graphics Cards Monitors DVI D Graphics