Wireless internet connection

I'm as novice as can be, but need help if anyone is willing. Wife has Dell
Dimension 4500, with Windows XP. We have cable internet, modem, and a Lynksis
wireless router. Sunday the internet connection stopped on her desktop. The
IP address won't update automatically, even though it is "checked" to do so.
My laptop and one other desktop in the house continue to work fine. When we
enter the IP numbers manually, we show receiving a signal from lynksis, but
no domain names can be accessed on the internet. The lynksis people walked me
through a ping to yahoo's address, and it responded fine. But trying to ping
the name Yahoo didn't connect at all, and gave an error.
Any ideas????????????????

set the dns server to the ip of the router.
"dbear6126" <dbear6126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm as novice as can be, but need help if anyone is willing. Wife has Dell
> Dimension 4500, with Windows XP. We have cable internet, modem, and a
> Lynksis
> wireless router. Sunday the internet connection stopped on her desktop.
> The
> IP address won't update automatically, even though it is "checked" to do
> so.
> My laptop and one other desktop in the house continue to work fine. When
> we
> enter the IP numbers manually, we show receiving a signal from lynksis,
> but
> no domain names can be accessed on the internet. The lynksis people walked
> me
> through a ping to yahoo's address, and it responded fine. But trying to
> ping
> the name Yahoo didn't connect at all, and gave an error.

TRENDING THREADS