Most important componet in multiplayer.

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Hi

I play mostly online. Current system is 1600XP >> 2000XP speed, Epox 266fsb mobo, 512mb low latency 3200ddr, 9700pro, ibm'deathstar 7200 (spacking it around a bit un seized the head)

Is it really worth my while ugrading my cpu and mobo if I only play online ie if the cpu's not busy doing enemy AI is my current speed cpu OK.

Money is an issue, but not too much.

Thanks

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I guess it depends on whether you are satisfied with how your system handles games. If I were you I would hold out a little longer before upgrading. I'd say until April. New gfx cards will be coming out, driving down current prices and the Prescott will be out too, I think.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
If you want to blow $180 to $200, get a Barton 2500+ and another stick of 512MB of ram... that would be what I would do next...

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
The most important component is having friends you like to play with... a sucky game on a sucky computer can be fun when you play with friends...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
The most important component for mutiplayer game is connection. A great game on a great computer, with a bunch of great friend, but losing/getting kill because of lag is just sad........

(i shot him in the head a million times and he wont die!!!)
(OMG! i got killed around the corner!!)

Trix are <font color=red>NOT JUST</font color=red> for kids

dhlucke

Polypheme
Get beer. Lots of it. Drink out of a straw.

Any MP game will be great.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Jessica Simpson Naked!!!</A></b>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
If you have dial-up I heard of a modem made by US Robotics which promises good pings for games. That's an important component when playing online.

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.