Windows 2000 or 98 on an AMD K62 450?

G

A friend has a older Compaq AMD K6-2 450 with 128 MB Ram with serious crash problems (all kinds of programs they no longer use, maybe a virus or two, IE crashes all the time, etc.) Would she be better off with Windows 2000 on this machine, or should she stay with Windows 98? I think the ram is enough for Windows 2k, but how about the processor?

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I don't know how much Win2k is going to do. The OS itself is more stable but that doesn't solve problem with IE or viruses.

If the system has that many crashes...you are better off doing a format and re-install the OS. It sounds as if that hard drive is a mess and probably tons of corrupted files. You can try and re-install Windows 98 or put 2000 in but I just don't think it will solve all your problems unless you start out fresh again.

G

I'm going to backup -> reformat -> install from scratch either way. I just wasn't sure if the K6-2 450 would have enough juice to run Windows 2k, and I didn't want to recommend something which would slow down her system.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i think that system will be just fine for win2k :)

My friend has a K6-2 500 with 400MBs of ram running win2k. It is pretty quick on his machine.

Also, I would definitely use win2k over 98

Sparks

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
As it stands right now, windows 98 is the best ninentdo on the market. I think I'm going to start calling it Nes98.

W2k just isn't up to the same speed that Nes98 is. It does good on everything else though. So dual booting (or triple booting) is the way I go. Actually, I'm running Nes98/Win2k/Linux.

G

I run win2k Server as a domain controller for my home network on a amd 450/k6-2 with 196 MB of ram, it runs fine.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in my experience, Win2k is the best performing Nintendo on games that it is compatible with.
BUT!!
not all Windows games will run on Win2k...

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Win2k will do well on your machine. You can't only blame Windows 98 for all your crashes, maybe installing Win2k will even make it appear worst. Look, unless you install a bad driver or software on your Win98 box it will run fine. (assuming there is no hardware problems) I know what I'm talking about. Unless you need your system up and running for 150 days straight you don't really need Windows 2000. You can give it a try on your machine but I'm really not sure concerning the instabilities.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

If you’re worried about Win 2000 being too heavy for your K6-2 why not try Win95.
I think its funny when I here my mates mowning about crashes when I haven't had a crash (Full windows freeze up) in well over 6 months and even then it was because of a doggy program I had written in C++.

I am going to upgrade to Win2000 soon as its stable and well newer, and probably a bit more powerful, but still Win98 really sux.

Okay Rant over :)