ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PCI (Problems with XP)

Our VP recently got a new PC, he had an IBM Netvista, now has a Dell.
Anyways, he wanted his All In Wonder transferred from his IBM to his
Dell so of course, we were happy to oblige. However, when I
transferred it to his new machine it doesn't work properly. It booted
to the point of the Windows XP loading screen, however, soon after the
screen went black and nothing happened, I waited quite a bit. So I
switched back to the integrated graphics and managed to get into XP. I
then went into the device manager and noticed that the All In Wonder
was installed and worling properly, apparently XP comes with the
driver. I decided to go to ATI anyways and re-download the driver, and
so I did. I re-installed it, restarted and switched back to the ATI,
and still, the same issue. Windows will simply not load if I'm using
the All In Wonder. The old IBM was running 2000 whereas this one is
now XP, so I believe this may be some issue with XP, however, if
anyone knows otherwise Im open to suggestions. Any help is much
appreciated.

> screen went black and nothing happened, I waited quite a bit. So I
> switched back to the integrated graphics and managed to get into XP. I
> then went into the device manager and noticed that the All In Wonder
> was installed and worling properly, apparently XP comes with the
> driver. I decided to go to ATI anyways and re-download the driver, and

Physically remove the ATI card and boot into XP with the onboard
graphics. Delete all references to ATI in the registry, Explorer, and
Device Manager and uninstall the MMC s/w if you installed it. The idea
is to remove _all_ references to anything ATI. Then remove the
Integrated Graphics from Device Manager and all references to it in the
registry. Turn off computer, replace the ATI card, restart computer, and
probably the most important, disable the onboard graphics in the system
BIOS _before_ XP even starts to load. When XP loads, it should sense the
New Hardware and automatically load all required drivers. The original
XP, I think, and XP SP1 I know, comes with all necessary drivers for the
128.

Good luck.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <3Wjic.74208$UC4.61850@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote:
>> screen went black and nothing happened, I waited quite a bit. So I
>> switched back to the integrated graphics and managed to get into XP. I
>> then went into the device manager and noticed that the All In Wonder
>> was installed and worling properly, apparently XP comes with the
>> driver. I decided to go to ATI anyways and re-download the driver, and
>
>Physically remove the ATI card and boot into XP with the onboard
>graphics. Delete all references to ATI in the registry, Explorer, and
>Device Manager and uninstall the MMC s/w if you installed it. The idea
>is to remove _all_ references to anything ATI. Then remove the
>Integrated Graphics from Device Manager and all references to it in the
>registry. Turn off computer, replace the ATI card, restart computer, and
>probably the most important, disable the onboard graphics in the system
>BIOS _before_ XP even starts to load. When XP loads, it should sense the
>New Hardware and automatically load all required drivers. The original
>XP, I think, and XP SP1 I know, comes with all necessary drivers for the
>128.
>
>Good luck.

Could also be that bastard windows activation thing kicking in. If it detects
a major hardware change, windows will sometimes force you to do a refresh
install over the top of itself.