baseline security analyzer

Does anyone have any insight into/experience with the ms baseline security
analyzer?
When I run it, I have to manually pre-pend 'workgroup' in front of
the name of my computer to get it to resolve the system to scan (my home
system). That's not really a big deal ... but then it tells me that it
can't
access the xml data file. I just read the white paper on this tool and
the xml file is downloaded from ms each time the tool is run, and is how the
tool gets the information it needs about what updates are necessary and
stuff.
Then it also tells me it can't tell what file system my HD is (its ntfs).
And, I don't know if this is related, but I can't open my security center
applet.
Most of the apps that it checks up on, I deliberately don't have installed
( to minimize the 'attack surface' ), so when it reports that it can't
access the xml file for that app, that's perhaps understandable, if a little
strange (if the app isn't installed why doesn't it just say so, or simply
skip that check altogether?). But why does it say that in relation to the
windows security updates?
It won't save the reports when its finished either, I had to cut and paste
the following straight off the report. If anyone can help me with this I
would really appreciate it!

Computer name: workgroup\user-d8c0etc
IP address: 24.86.**.***
Security report name: workgroup - user-d8c0.etc (12-28-2004 12-17 PM)
Scan date: 12/28/2004 12:17 PM
Scanned with MBSA version: 1.2.4013.0
Security update database version: Security updates scan not performed
Security assessment: Incomplete Scan (Could not complete one or more
requested checks.)

Security Update Scan Results

Score Issue Result
Windows Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Microsoft VM Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

BizTalk Server Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Content Management Server Site Builder Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Content Management Server Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Content Management Server Site Stager Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Host Integration Server Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

IIS Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Windows Media Player Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Exchange Server Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

MDAC Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Commerce Server Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

MSXML Security Updates
Could not access the security update XML file.

Office Security Updates
This scan can only be performed on a local machine.

Windows Scan Results

Vulnerabilities

Score Issue Result
File System
Unable to determine the file system on fixed drives(3.2)
What was scanned

Windows Firewall
This check was skipped because it cannot be done remotely.

Local Account Password Test
No user accounts have simple passwords.
What was scanned Result details

Automatic Updates
Updates are automatically downloaded and installed on this computer.
What was scanned

Guest Account
The Guest account is disabled on this computer.
What was scanned

Restrict Anonymous
Computer is properly restricting anonymous access.
What was scanned

Administrators
No more than 2 Administrators were found on this computer.
What was scanned Result details

Autologon
Check is skipped on Windows XP Home Edition computers.
What was scanned

Password Expiration
Check is skipped on Windows XP Home Edition computers.
What was scanned

Additional System Information

Score Issue Result
Auditing
Check is skipped on Windows XP Home Edition computers.
What was scanned How to correct this

Services
No potentially unnecessary services were found.
What was scanned

Shares
No shares are present on your computer.
What was scanned

Windows Version
Computer is running Windows 2000 or greater.
What was scanned

Internet Information Services (IIS) Scan Results

Score Issue Result
IIS Status
IIS is not running on this computer.

SQL Server Scan Results

Score Issue Result
SQL Server/MSDE Status
SQL Server and/or MSDE is not installed on this computer.

Desktop Application Scan Results

Vulnerabilities

Score Issue Result
IE Zones
Internet Explorer zones have secure settings for all users.
What was scanned

Macro Security
No Microsoft Office products are installed
2 answers Last reply
More about baseline security analyzer

    hello,
    could anyone upload the biztlak ebook link for me pls.I've been
    searching for it from a long time.
    I'm sorry to post this request in sombody's post.I'm a new member and
    am not allowed yet to post new messages.
    hope u understand.
    thanku very much.

    --
    srisailam
    srisailam's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5795

    srisailam wrote:

    > hello,
    > could anyone upload the biztlak ebook link for me pls.I've been
    > searching for it from a long time.
    > I'm sorry to post this request in sombody's post.I'm a new member and
    > am not allowed yet to post new messages.
    > hope u understand.
    > thanku very much.

    The reason you are having difficulty posting is because you are posting
    on one of those unpleasant websites that pretends to be offering a
    web-based messageboard "service" when all it is really doing is
    siphoning off Usenet posts. Here is information about newsgroups
    (Usenet) for you:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    Now that you know, drop that stupid messageboard and post back to this
    MS newsgroup (microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin) with a better
    description of what you are looking for and trying to do and we'll help
    you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers