Arctic silver thermal adhesive for 9800 pro heatsink?

I know a lot of people have gone aftermarket w/heatsinks for their 9800 Pros,
but I'd like to stick w/the stock solution. What I'd like to do is remove the
heatsink and shim then attach the heatsink directly to the GPU core using
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive that's been diluted w/Arctic Silver III TIM. The
thing is the instructions for the Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive don't
recommend using it to attach to CPU's. Does the shim on the Sapphire 9800 Pro
have the same huge gap the Sapphire 9500 Pro's had?
More about arctic silver thermal adhesive 9800 heatsink

    No. It hardly has any paste either from what I saw on mine. corners of the CPU were actually bare,
    so I would recommend re- pasting (as you suggest) if you find heat a problem.

    I wouldnt recommend using adhesive thermal compound though, or removing the shim btw. Whats your
    reason for not using standard artic silver? Unlike some of the other stock coolers, which use
    plastic clips to keep the sinks on the board, the Sapphires use high quality metal ones, which can
    be reused, plus they dont use those awful gunky pads that actually stick the cooler to the cpu
    (prolly because they dont use those push through plastic clips)...

    so Im at a loss to know why you dont just use artic silver and then use the original clips to hold
    the sink back on

    Wblane wrote:
    > I know a lot of people have gone aftermarket w/heatsinks for their
    > 9800 Pros, but I'd like to stick w/the stock solution. What I'd like
    > to do is remove the heatsink and shim then attach the heatsink
    > directly to the GPU core using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive that's
    > been diluted w/Arctic Silver III TIM. The thing is the instructions
    > for the Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive don't recommend using it to
    > attach to CPU's. Does the shim on the Sapphire 9800 Pro have the same
    > huge gap the Sapphire 9500 Pro's had? -Bill (remove "botizer" to

    I have a Powercolor 9600se. The day i bought it, its' heatsink was very much
    moving around. Also I noted it kept crashing in some games, and upon
    touching the heatsink, it was cold.
    So I unclipped it, and saw that there was some dried out/cracked pale stuff
    on the gpu. I removed it with a q-tip, dipped in nailpolish remover, and
    applied some regular, cheap silicon compound, are re-apply the heatsink.
    Now the heatsink becomes nicely warm when gaming. Hence it is more
    effective.

    So I would strongly suggest to just apply that arctic silver compound (not
    adhesive) and use original heatsink. It should make a good bit difference.

    Wblane wrote:
    > I know a lot of people have gone aftermarket w/heatsinks for their 9800
    > Pros, but I'd like to stick w/the stock solution. What I'd like to do is
    > remove the heatsink and shim then attach the heatsink directly to the GPU
    > core using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive that's been diluted w/Arctic
    > Silver III TIM. The thing is the instructions for the Arctic Silver
    > Thermal Adhesive don't recommend using it to attach to CPU's. Does the
    > shim on the Sapphire 9800 Pro have the same huge gap the Sapphire 9500
    > Pro's had? -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    I would only use thermal adhesive if I was completely sure I was not going
    to remove the heatsink, and only if the heatsink could not be was not
    mounted to the board. I would not want to hang a huge heatsink off of the
    GPU, without mounting it to the board, as they can be quite heavy, the last
    thing you want to do is pull the GPU off the board.

    I suggest you use the standard mounting technique, with or without the shim,
    using just Arctic Silver "TIM", not adhesive. If you decide that the gap is
    too large, and would like to get the heatsink closer to the GPU by removing
    the shim, be sure to check that the mounting is suitable, and when
    tightening the mounting (if you can) be sure to apply the same pressure on
    all corners.

    I would use the adhesive for a small heatsink on the Southbridge, if there
    are no mounting holes on the motherboard - that type of application. The
    heatsink on your GPU is just too large and heavy, it's too easy to do
    damage.

    Ben

    I was just thinking there might be a too-large gap between the 9800 Pro
    heatsink and GPU (like there was and is on my Sapphire 9500 Pro). I'm going to
    clean and apply just the Arctic Silver III Thermal Interface Material (TIM)
    since that's what everyone here recommended. I've also added a much larger fan
    to the heatsink (off of one of the old slotted Athlon heatsinks). I just tested
    this setup today and no overheating so far -- except for my Nvidia Soundstorm
    southbridge (Abit NF7-S v2.0). I'm going to have to use the some Arctic Silver
    adhesive on that. Thanks for the advice everyone.

    >I wouldnt recommend using adhesive thermal compound though, or removing the
    >shim btw. Whats your
    >reason for not using standard artic silver? Unlike some of the other stock
    >coolers, which use
    >plastic clips to keep the sinks on the board, the Sapphires use high quality
    >metal ones, which can
    >be reused, plus they dont use those awful gunky pads that actually stick the
    >cooler to the cpu
    >(prolly because they dont use those push through plastic clips)...
    >
    >so Im at a loss to know why you dont just use artic silver and then use the
    >original clips to hold
    >the sink back on

    > I was just thinking there might be a too-large gap between the 9800 Pro
    > heatsink and GPU

    The stock heatsink is machined with a raised portion on the bottom that
    makes contact with the GPU. The problem, if any, is when using an
    aftermarket HS that isn't made this way.
    The shim adds support to the HS because the little GPU chip is quite fragile
    and it's easy to crack its corners. From what I understand, you could do
    this by simple putting to much pressure on a corner of the HS if the shim
    wasn't there. So, remove it at your own risk if you're using an aftermarket
    HS, and you shouldn't have to remove it if you're using the stock one.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    I fragged my 9500 Pro by putting too much pressure on the heatsink when
    re-installing it. It would work fine for 2D but get some really spectacular
    effects in 3D games.

    What I don't like about the Sapphire 9800 Pro heatsink is how LOOSE it is. It
    would seem to me the heatsink can't be making good contact w/the GPU if it's
    that loose?

    >The stock heatsink is machined with a raised portion on the bottom that
    >makes contact with the GPU. The problem, if any, is when using an
    >aftermarket HS that isn't made this way.
    >The shim adds support to the HS because the little GPU chip is quite fragile
    >and it's easy to crack its corners. From what I understand, you could do
    >this by simple putting to much pressure on a corner of the HS if the shim
    >wasn't there. So, remove it at your own risk if you're using an aftermarket
    >HS, and you shouldn't have to remove it if you're using the stock one.
    >
    >Gary

    > What I don't like about the Sapphire 9800 Pro heatsink is how LOOSE it is.
    It
    > would seem to me the heatsink can't be making good contact w/the GPU if
    it's
    > that loose?

    Common problem with many manufactureres :(

    Asestar wrote:
    >> What I don't like about the Sapphire 9800 Pro heatsink is how LOOSE
    >> it is. It would seem to me the heatsink can't be making good contact
    >> w/the GPU if it's that loose?
    >
    > Common problem with many manufactureres :(

    I put an Arctic Cooling VGA silencer on my ATI 9800 Pro, using Arctic Silver
    III, and an very happy with it's performance. Allowed me to overclock
    considerable further as well.
    --
    Don Burnette

Radeon Arctic Heatsinks Silver Graphics