Assigning Group and User policies

karl

Hi,

I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
each group slightly different privileges to the others.

How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP Pro?
Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Karl

Turn on Classic Permissions.

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
> these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
> each group slightly different privileges to the others.
>
> How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP
> Pro?
> Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Karl

jw

In Folder Options (in Control Panel), clear the box labeled "Simple File
Sharing".
Then when you view properties for a folder, you will see a tab labeled
"Security".
Use the Security tab to set different access permissions to different
groups.

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
each group slightly different privileges to the others.

How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP Pro?
Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Karl

karl

Hi,

Thanks Raajah and JW for the tps. I've disabled simple file sharing, that's
another piece of the puzzle in place. I've been looking for information about
Classic Permissions, can't find any. Can you tell me what you mean?

Also, what if I want to restrict or allow access to certain actions, rather
than folders. For instance, I would like to disallow user installs for all
users except one, but allow them for all power users. How would I set this
up? Where in the MMC do I need to go?

I know that if I go to MMC > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings >
Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment I can assign some
things there. But a lot of things aren't covered there.

If I want to prevent user installs, for instance, the only place I can find
to do that is in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows
Components > Windows Installer.

That's fine, but I can't find anything in there that allows me to specificy
which users I want this to apply to. XP Pro just seems to apply the
restriction to all limited user accounts. How can I be more specific?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Happy New Year and thanks again.

Karl

karl

Hi,

Sorry to ask again, but anyone got any further thoughts on this?

Basically, waht I need to know is how, on an XP Pro PC, how you assign
prvileges and permission to groups when those privilages and permissions
aren't found in Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings
> Local Policies > User Rights Assignment?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Have you looked into Group Policy? Go to Start -> Run and enter
gpedit.msc in the "Open" box. You can also add this as a snap-in
in the MMC. Look for Group Policy, not Local Security Policy.

If you're not familiar with Group Policy, I'd suggest that you be
very careful what you change. If you remove the wrong group or
apply any of the Deny settings incorrectly, you could end up with
a major problem.

Nepatsfan