Assigning Group and User policies

Hi,

I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
each group slightly different privileges to the others.

How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP Pro?
Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Karl
5 answers Last reply
More about assigning group user policies

    Turn on Classic Permissions.

    "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
    > these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
    > each group slightly different privileges to the others.
    >
    > How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP
    > Pro?
    > Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Karl

    In Folder Options (in Control Panel), clear the box labeled "Simple File
    Sharing".
    Then when you view properties for a folder, you will see a tab labeled
    "Security".
    Use the Security tab to set different access permissions to different
    groups.

    "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I'm setting up an XP Pro system with several local users. I want to place
    these users in two or possibly three groups, but then assign some users in
    each group slightly different privileges to the others.

    How can I assign privileges to different group and users in Windows XP Pro?
    Is this an option in the MMC? I can't find it.

    Any help appreciated.

    Karl

    Hi,

    Thanks Raajah and JW for the tps. I've disabled simple file sharing, that's
    another piece of the puzzle in place. I've been looking for information about
    Classic Permissions, can't find any. Can you tell me what you mean?

    Also, what if I want to restrict or allow access to certain actions, rather
    than folders. For instance, I would like to disallow user installs for all
    users except one, but allow them for all power users. How would I set this
    up? Where in the MMC do I need to go?

    I know that if I go to MMC > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings >
    Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment I can assign some
    things there. But a lot of things aren't covered there.

    If I want to prevent user installs, for instance, the only place I can find
    to do that is in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows
    Components > Windows Installer.

    That's fine, but I can't find anything in there that allows me to specificy
    which users I want this to apply to. XP Pro just seems to apply the
    restriction to all limited user accounts. How can I be more specific?

    Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

    Happy New Year and thanks again.

    Karl

    Hi,

    Sorry to ask again, but anyone got any further thoughts on this?

    Basically, waht I need to know is how, on an XP Pro PC, how you assign
    prvileges and permission to groups when those privilages and permissions
    aren't found in Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings
    > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment?

    What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

    Have you looked into Group Policy? Go to Start -> Run and enter
    gpedit.msc in the "Open" box. You can also add this as a snap-in
    in the MMC. Look for Group Policy, not Local Security Policy.

    If you're not familiar with Group Policy, I'd suggest that you be
    very careful what you change. If you remove the wrong group or
    apply any of the Deny settings incorrectly, you could end up with
    a major problem.

    Nepatsfan
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry to ask again, but anyone got any further thoughts on
    > this?
    >
    > Basically, waht I need to know is how, on an XP Pro PC, how you
    > assign
    > prvileges and permission to groups when those privilages and
    > permissions
    > aren't found in Computer Configuration > Windows Settings >
    > Security Settings
    >> Local Policies > User Rights Assignment?

Security Microsoft Windows XP