drivers and resources suddenly on the fritz

Hi again.

I fixed the problem with the cd drive, it seems that the bios will
only accept a cd drive on the primary connector and not the secondary
connector.

A few days ago I started to install windows updates and some flash
plugins that I need to go to some web sites.

I always install every update and addition except the language
support.
Suddenly My resources are always at 30% or below.
Now my sound card has stopped working but I can still use the mic and
hear it through the speakers.
i removed it from the system thing in the control panel and now it
can't find it at all but the mic still works.
I uninstalled most of my programs and part of system works 2004 but
some of the updates can not be removed.
the resources have gone back up to 70% but I uasually am speeding
along at 90%.
Could some of the updates be causing the problem?
also. My dad recently backed his 13gb drive on to my pc after a virus
destroyed all the settings.
Speed disk and another scanner on system works says that my drive is
not properly setup and some scans are skipped.
The window information program always get's an illegal operation when
it is started and is closed I can't see if there is any conflicts if i
can't run it.
How can I remove the permanant updates?
Did something get on my computer from my dad's?
Do i have to reformat the drive again?
1 answer Last reply
More about drivers resources suddenly fritz
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Jeptha" <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Hi again.
    >
    > I fixed the problem with the cd drive, it seems that the bios will
    > only accept a cd drive on the primary connector and not the
    secondary
    > connector.
    >
    > A few days ago I started to install windows updates and some flash
    > plugins that I need to go to some web sites.
    >
    > I always install every update and addition except the language
    > support.
    > Suddenly My resources are always at 30% or below.
    > Now my sound card has stopped working but I can still use the mic
    and
    > hear it through the speakers.
    > i removed it from the system thing in the control panel and now it
    > can't find it at all but the mic still works.
    > I uninstalled most of my programs and part of system works 2004 but
    > some of the updates can not be removed.
    > the resources have gone back up to 70% but I uasually am speeding
    > along at 90%.
    > Could some of the updates be causing the problem?
    > also. My dad recently backed his 13gb drive on to my pc after a
    virus
    > destroyed all the settings.
    > Speed disk and another scanner on system works says that my drive is
    > not properly setup and some scans are skipped.
    > The window information program always get's an illegal operation
    when
    > it is started and is closed I can't see if there is any conflicts if
    > can't run it.
    > How can I remove the permanant updates?
    > Did something get on my computer from my dad's?
    > Do i have to reformat the drive again?

    Please take some friendly advice, get rid of the computer and take up
    another hobby !

    Lets try something else here, don't use any PB restore disks or CD's
    simply go here and download a Windows 98 Boot disk
    http://www.bootdisk.com place it on a "formatted 1.44 diskette" you
    can purchase them in any computer store.

    Now you will need a "Full Copy" of Windows 98 or above (But you will
    need to have a prior copy of a lower Windows OS to continue if they
    are a upgrade), insert diskette in to floppy drive and at the prompt
    do this:

    a:>fdisk.exe {hit enter}

    You will then need to remove the prior partition follow the screen
    prompts for the proper action. Then at the end of the message asking
    if you want to delete the Primary DOS partition select "Y" and then
    enter. After this is done you will again as above run fdisk.exe and
    this time you will select option 4 (I believe its this to create a
    Primary DOS Partition and Logical Drive) it will ask if you want to
    use the whole disk etc. simply select the confirm option y/n etc. when
    that is done we are going to do this:

    restart the computer with the diskette in the floppy drive again and
    at the "A Prompt" you will type this:

    a:>format c/s {Hit Enter}{There is a space between format and command
    parameters c/s.
    A message will ask or warn that all media on drive c will be erased do
    you wish to continue y/n select Y and then {hit enter}

    after the fdisk and format is done you will again use the floppy
    diskette to select OPTION 1 For full cd rom support and the drive that
    was normally your cd rom will have to be increased by one letter to
    function. You now do this from the "A PROMPT":

    a:> e {Hit enter}{The drive may be d but try e} if the drive letter is
    correct then you will see this:

    e:>

    Now place the Windows 98, 98SE, ME, or even Windows 95 if that is what
    you want to use in the CD ROM drive and do this:

    e:>setup.exe {Hit Enter}

    You will now get more messages in relation to your designation of
    where windows will be installed {Take the defaults and change nothing}
    it will run a scan disk and diskcheck for errors etc. When it starts
    to load the operating system you may be asked for a prior version of
    windows {If your not installing the full boxed versions and legal
    copies of Windows} in which case it is an upgrade to an existing OS.
    After all the Windows components are loaded you may extract the needed
    Modem, NIC, Monitor, Sound, or Video off of the Packard Bell CD that
    came with the system. If your not using a PB Restore CD for drivers lo
    ading only you will need to either search the net for these drivers or
    return here for them with proper NAMES of the devices to receive
    proper help.

    If all goes well and the system is fully operational you then get the
    updates from Microsoft and then test the computer. I don't want hear
    how your father did this or he did that, since it would seem he is not
    computer savvy either.

    if all of these instructions are too much for you read them over and
    over and it will be easy to remember. At a last resort if none of this
    works for that old PB go out and purchase a Dell they have P4 Systems
    for under $500 US and this is with Windows XP and loads of RAM and
    video and complete packages here: http://www.dell.com/tv

    I hope this helped?

    Elector

Packard Bell Computers