Optimal ATI 9700 Pro drivers & settings for FS2004?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro P4
3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.

Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004 image
quality decreasing?

Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and FS2004
settings combination to get the best image quality?

Thx,

Dean

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

I got the best speed with Cat 3.2 and not too much worse with Cat 3.7. Since
I have a AIW card I wanted the latest MMC which needs the newer Cats. I now
run 4.4 but think I'll go back to 3.2 and MMC 8.5. The quality does not seem
much different to me with the older Cats.

"Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro P4
> 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
>
> Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004 image
> quality decreasing?
>
> Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and FS2004
> settings combination to get the best image quality?
>
> Thx,
>
> Dean

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

this will be dependent on your personal feeling of what is a 'good'
image is. AA / AF settings along with refresh rates and type of
monitor are the most noticeable and frequently adjusted settings. They
change just about with every game. When you upgrade any driver (well
most anyway) the settings may revert back to defaults and so you would
have to take note of your prior settings and check to see if they are
remaining the same. This is really a personal 'feeling' rather than a
definite 'set them this way and you'll be happy' kind of thing. In XP
refresh rates are a constant problem. make sure that you are using the
'INF' file (driver) for your monitor. No 'default monitor' on a ATI
adapter description in display properties.

"Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro
P4
> 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
>
> Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004
image
> quality decreasing?
>
> Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and
FS2004
> settings combination to get the best image quality?
>
> Thx,
>
> Dean

dmac

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

try out dna drivers at http://www.dna-drivers.nl/
I have had much better luck with them than ati or omega.

--

David MacLeod
Etna, Maine USA

"Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro P4
> 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
>
> Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004 image
> quality decreasing?
>
> Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and FS2004
> settings combination to get the best image quality?
>
> Thx,
>
> Dean

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

You obviously do not have a clue as of what OP is talking about?
With image quality he (and almost all people) mean things like mip-map
levels, tex. filtering quality and so on.. Like using some drivers make some
textures look washed and blurred.

I tried the game on my Mobility Radeon 9000 64mb, P4 2.53Ghz, 512 PC2100
laptop few months back, and It played ok at 1024*768 setting with med-high
settings.
I think I was using catalyst 3.10 or 3.9 back then. Fps were in 25-40
ranges.

Also there is an option in game to limit the framerate, disable it, or move
it to 60. i think it defaults to 22 or somthing.

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> this will be dependent on your personal feeling of what is a 'good'
> image is. AA / AF settings along with refresh rates and type of
> monitor are the most noticeable and frequently adjusted settings. They
> change just about with every game. When you upgrade any driver (well
> most anyway) the settings may revert back to defaults and so you would
> have to take note of your prior settings and check to see if they are
> remaining the same. This is really a personal 'feeling' rather than a
> definite 'set them this way and you'll be happy' kind of thing. In XP
> refresh rates are a constant problem. make sure that you are using the
> 'INF' file (driver) for your monitor. No 'default monitor' on a ATI
> adapter description in display properties.
>

> "Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> > I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro
> P4
> > 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
> >
> > Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004
> image
> > quality decreasing?
> >
> > Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and
> FS2004
> > settings combination to get the best image quality?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Dean

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

You obviously do not have a clue as of what OP is talking about?
> With image quality he (and almost all people) mean things like
mip-map
> levels, tex. filtering quality and so on.. Like using some drivers
make some
> textures look washed and blurred.

oh really so your saying that somewhere there is a image of what
the perfect screen should look like, and ALL will be in agreement?..
right! ok whatever. where is there a reference to mip-maps in the
original post?

Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004
> > image quality decreasing?

He asking from his imagination, is he seeing degradation, yep that's a
'in depth question that would definitely send me on a tangent of
100,000 $ word descriptions on the adjustments of video cards.

O Poster, do you know what a mip map level is? how about texture
filtering(which I mentioned)? Do you even care? it seems that FPS are
the main concern while maintaining 'image quality' ? He simply asked
about 'best image quality" at the end. and what driver versions, which
is hardly a 'Vidphile' question.

This is not a put down to the O Poster, so don't take it that way, if
you are really into the intricacies of video card adjustments.

I tried the game on my Mobility Radeon 9000 64mb, P4 2.53Ghz, 512
PC2100
> laptop few months back, and It played ok at 1024*768 setting with
med-high
> settings.
> I think I was using catalyst 3.10 or 3.9 back then. Fps were in
25-40
> ranges.

Then you come back with a laptop reference, which is a far cry from
what a desktop user will experience, no matter what the driver
version.

Yeah your right, your the only one that has the answers. ego better
now?

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message

> Also there is an option in game to limit the framerate, disable it,
or move
> it to 60. i think it defaults to 22 or somthing.
>
> "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > this will be dependent on your personal feeling of what is a
'good'
> > image is. AA / AF settings along with refresh rates and type of
> > monitor are the most noticeable and frequently adjusted settings.
They
> > change just about with every game. When you upgrade any driver
(well
> > most anyway) the settings may revert back to defaults and so you
would
> > have to take note of your prior settings and check to see if they
are
> > remaining the same. This is really a personal 'feeling' rather
than a
> > definite 'set them this way and you'll be happy' kind of thing. In
XP
> > refresh rates are a constant problem. make sure that you are using
the
> > 'INF' file (driver) for your monitor. No 'default monitor' on a
ATI
> > adapter description in display properties.
> >

> > "Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> > > I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP
Pro
> > P4
> > > 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
> > >
> > > Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004
> > image
> > > quality decreasing?
> > >
> > > Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings,
and
> > FS2004
> > > settings combination to get the best image quality?
> > >
> > > Thx,
> > >
> > > Dean

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I have the same problem with Nvidia drivers, the later the version of the
drivers, the worser my frame rates get so anyone knowes which is the best
driver for nvidia cards, I have a V9570TD card from asus with a 5700 chipset
on it and 256 megs of Ram.

greetings

Henny
"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> schreef in bericht
> [...]
> are
> > > remaining the same. This is really a personal 'feeling' rather
> than a
> > > definite 'set them this way and you'll be happy' kind of thing. In
> XP
> > > refresh rates are a constant problem. make sure that you are using
> the
> > > 'INF' file (driver) for your monitor. No 'default monitor' on a
> ATI
> > > adapter description in display properties.
> > >

> > > "Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> Pro
> > > P4

> > > image

> and
> > > FS2004

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

I think the best Cat driver I've had was 3.7.

Diagonal lines appear jagged, stair cased if you get my drift. What are the
best settings to mitigate this effect?

Dean

"Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro P4
> 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
>
> Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004 image
> quality decreasing?
>
> Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and FS2004
> settings combination to get the best image quality?
>
> Thx,
>
> Dean

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

David, these drivers are also suitable for the RADEON 8500?
I cannot find these information on the Dutch website.

Bart

"dmac" <dmacleo@tds.1net> wrote in message
> try out dna drivers at http://www.dna-drivers.nl/
> I have had much better luck with them than ati or omega.
>
> --
>

> David MacLeod
> Etna, Maine USA
> P4 2.8 OC to 3.13
> 1 GB DDR 466
> Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
> 2 Seagate 120 RAID 0
>
> "Dean H. Owens" <dean@owenses.net> wrote in message
> > I have an ATI 9700 Pro with Cat 4.4 drivers running on a Win XP Pro P4
> > 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I get 20FPS with every setting maxed.
> >
> > Is it my imagination or with each new Cat. drivers is the FS2004 image
> > quality decreasing?
> >
> > Can anybody tell me the best CAT. driver, Cat. driver settings, and
FS2004
> > settings combination to get the best image quality?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Dean

dmac

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,microsoft.public.flightsim (More info?)

I believe they would work for all ati cards.

--
dmacleo@midmaine1.com
remove 1 to reply