Please help, pop ups/adware...

I'm a windows home xp user. I downloaded both spy-bot and ad-aware and have
run both and fixed problems that they both said I had. I also have the msn
tool bar and the yahoo toolbar, both of which have pop-up blockers. However,
I'm still receiving pop-ups.

I've run the yahoo anti-spy and it says that I have an adware running. It
lists it as c:\documents and settings\Tricia\stat menu\programs\start
up\power reg scheduler v2.

I recognize this as something I had on another computer and when I removed
it, I could no longer go on the internet. What do I do?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Malke

Tricia wrote:

> I'm a windows home xp user. I downloaded both spy-bot and ad-aware and
> have run both and fixed problems that they both said I had. I also
> have the msn tool bar and the yahoo toolbar, both of which have pop-up
> blockers. However, I'm still receiving pop-ups.
>
> I've run the yahoo anti-spy and it says that I have an adware running.
> It
> lists it as c:\documents and settings\Tricia\stat menu\programs\start
> up\power reg scheduler v2.
>
> I recognize this as something I had on another computer and when I
> removed
> it, I could no longer go on the internet. What do I do?
>
> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Even though you've installed Spybot S&D and Ad-aware, run through these
removal steps. It is crucial that you update all tools and that you run
all scans in Safe Mode. You can also try uninstalling programs like
Power Reg Scheduler from Add/Remove Programs - I would do that first,
in Safe Mode - but you will still need to run the malware removal
tools. Many malware programs will have an entry in Add/Remove Programs
and even appear to go through an uninstall; often this is a lie.

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
antivirus using updated definitions.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy