Help with Browser invasion

My desktop has developed uninvited icons for internet site links which i did
not install. The same items appear in favourites . I cannot delete these
items by any method . Right clicking brings no response . can anyone help .
The program also tries to impose its own homepage but i can block this. Can
anyone help please ?
--
mightytim

"mightytim" wrote:

> My desktop has developed uninvited icons for internet site links which i did
> not install. The same items appear in favourites . I cannot delete these
> items by any method . Right clicking brings no response . can anyone help .
> The program also tries to impose its own homepage but i can block this. Can
> anyone help please ?
> --
> mightytim

I have just experinced this and have the same problem. I know this doesn't
help you but hopefully someone has a solution.

Hello!

My desktop has the same uninvited icons - which appear to be 'blind' when I
go into the desktop or my computer to locate and delete them. Running
spyware and antivirus software does not remove them either. Sorry I can't be
of help - but I share your same frustration.

Mary-Anne

"mightytim" wrote:

> My desktop has developed uninvited icons for internet site links which i did
> not install. The same items appear in favourites . I cannot delete these
> items by any method . Right clicking brings no response . can anyone help .
> The program also tries to impose its own homepage but i can block this. Can
> anyone help please ?
> --
> mightytim

Malke

Mary-Anne wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My desktop has the same uninvited icons - which appear to be 'blind'
> when I
> go into the desktop or my computer to locate and delete them. Running
> spyware and antivirus software does not remove them either. Sorry I
> can't be of help - but I share your same frustration.
>
> Mary-Anne
>
> "mightytim" wrote:
>
>> My desktop has developed uninvited icons for internet site links
>> which i did not install. The same items appear in favourites . I
>> cannot delete these items by any method . Right clicking brings no
>> response . can anyone help .
>> The program also tries to impose its own homepage but i can block
>> this. Can anyone help please ?
>> --
>> mightytim

Run through the following malware removal steps. Make sure all tools are
updated and you do all scans in Safe Mode.

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
antivirus using updated definitions.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

General:
http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

There is a whole genre of software that is designed to give you increased
control over appearance related things like desktop icons. You'll find
loads of it for free on any windows download site, here's one (I haven't
used it, it's just an example, but it'll probably work):

http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_aifw.html

Good luck :)

"mightytim" <mightytim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My desktop has developed uninvited icons for internet site links which i
> did
> not install. The same items appear in favourites . I cannot delete these
> items by any method . Right clicking brings no response . can anyone help
> .
> The program also tries to impose its own homepage but i can block this.
> Can
> anyone help please ?
> --
> mightytim