connecting to different computers

Let me try to set the stage for my question. I have 4 computers, 2 of them
have win 98, one has win2000 and the other has winxp pro. I can see all four
of them in network neigborhood, but when I go to click on the winxp it asks
me for a password. I did not set up a password for my winxp computer. What do
I need to do to access this computer. What password is it looking for. Where
are the password kept. PLEASE HELP!!!

mss6376 wrote:
> Let me try to set the stage for my question. I have 4 computers, 2 of them
> have win 98, one has win2000 and the other has winxp pro. I can see all four
> of them in network neigborhood, but when I go to click on the winxp it asks
> me for a password. I did not set up a password for my winxp computer. What do
> I need to do to access this computer. What password is it looking for. Where
> are the password kept. PLEASE HELP!!!

On the WinXP computer, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or lower, make sure
that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

make sure that the username and password on all the systems is the same.
That is the easy way to solve this issue. Or make sure that each name exists
on each system. If you dont care about security, use the first option, if
you do, use the second.