Can't see my network

mk

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I have 2 PCs that I am trying to network. One is running WinXP home and the
other Win2000 SP4. I have just installed a wireless router and network card
both 802.11g and also have a cable modem. connection goes through the
modem to the router to my WinXP machine all hardwire to that point and no
problems there. I have the wireless card in the Win2k machine and had an
internet connection until I installed Service Pack 4. Do not have internet
now, but still get a response when I ping the router, which is confusing me.
I have set up a few Win2000 machines on a network, but never wireless or
with a WinXP machine.

Looking for suggestions at this point.

Does the XP box have a password on every account? If not, the machine is
designed to be "invisible" by default. You will have to enable it to be seen
by getting rid of the firewall and enabling accounts to get to the machine
in most instances. From the other direction (XP to 2K), you should not have
a problem.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA