Closed

Open .bkf file

I have Win XP Home Edition w/SP2 and installed Backup from the CD. Backup is
run to my internal Zip drive (E).

After Backup has run I am unable to open the file E:\Backup.bkf from My
Computer to view the contents on my Zip disk. I receive the error message
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

Not sure how I do this...

Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about open file

    I'm actually looking to view the contents, not restore data. Is 'restore
    data' the only option I have with a .bkf file?

    Thank you.

    "Robert Moir" wrote:

    > XanGo Man wrote:
    > > I have Win XP Home Edition w/SP2 and installed Backup from the CD.
    > > Backup is run to my internal Zip drive (E).
    > >
    > > After Backup has run I am unable to open the file E:\Backup.bkf from
    > > My Computer to view the contents on my Zip disk. I receive the error
    > > message "This file does not have a program associated with it for
    > > performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options
    > > control panel".
    > >
    > > Not sure how I do this...
    >
    > You don't browse backup files in the same way you do files that are archived
    > with winzip.
    >
    > If you've installed the backup program it should be in Start
    > Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools.
    >
    > You need to run this and select "Restore" in order to retrieve the data in a
    > ..bkf file. You can choose to restore to an alternate location if you wish.

    > Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP for servers & security
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    >
    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    Thank you Robert!

    "Robert Moir" wrote:

    > XanGo Man wrote:
    > > I'm actually looking to view the contents, not restore data. Is
    > > 'restore data' the only option I have with a .bkf file?
    >
    > If you step through the options for restore and look at the data you are
    > restoring, it should give you an option to browse the backed up data, with a
    > view to only restoring part of it. This will allow you to review the
    > contents, though it is a little awkward for that use.
    >
    > I'm afraid this is the only option - backup only allows you to either backup
    > things or restore them, it's designed to do those two things very well
    > rather than do everything badly.

    > Rob Moir
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

Backup Zip Disk Windows XP