Windows 2000 Desktop Running Out of Resources

Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of resources. If
I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example, sometimes the menus will
not draw. or if I try to bring down a menu the submenu does not come up.

It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory resource.
I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000 workstation, so I doubt
that it is a pure system memory issue. I suspect that there is some video
driver issue and/or some resource limitation in the video driver memory.

Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there any
setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would possibly
address this?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Could be the power supply

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
> Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
> problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of
> resources. If I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example,
> sometimes the menus will not draw. or if I try to bring down a
> menu the submenu does not come up.
>
> It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
> resource. I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000
> workstation, so I doubt that it is a pure system memory issue. I
> suspect that there is some video driver issue and/or some resource
> limitation in the video driver memory.
>
> Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there
> any setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would
> possibly address this?

On 4/26/2004 1:13 PM neopolaris brightened our day with:

>CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
>

>>Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
>>problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of
>>resources. If I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example,
>>sometimes the menus will not draw. or if I try to bring down a
>>menu the submenu does not come up.
>>
>>It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
>>resource. I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000
>>workstation, so I doubt that it is a pure system memory issue. I
>>suspect that there is some video driver issue and/or some resource
>>limitation in the video driver memory.
>>
>>Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there
>>any setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would
>>possibly address this?
>>

>Could be the power supply

How?

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]

Andy

I started having this problem after making two big changes at the same
time: installing Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP4 and installing
Catalyst 3.9. I recently installed Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP3
along with Catalyst 4.4, and the problem seems to be gone. This is
with AiW Radeon 7200.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:33:20 -0700, "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:

>Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
>problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of resources. If
>I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example, sometimes the menus will
>not draw. or if I try to bring down a menu the submenu does not come up.
>
>It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory resource.
>I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000 workstation, so I doubt
>that it is a pure system memory issue. I suspect that there is some video
>driver issue and/or some resource limitation in the video driver memory.
>
>Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there any
>setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would possibly
>address this?

That experiment seems to point to Catalyst 4.4 as much as it would any
method of installation.....

Since others install Catalyst 4.4 and do not have this problem, I am
assuming it is the interaction of 4.4 with something else that is
responsible.

--

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> I started having this problem after making two big changes at the same
> time: installing Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP4 and installing
> Catalyst 3.9. I recently installed Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP3
> along with Catalyst 4.4, and the problem seems to be gone. This is
> with AiW Radeon 7200.
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:33:20 -0700, "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes"
> <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:
>
> >Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
> >problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of resources.
If
> >I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example, sometimes the menus
will
> >not draw. or if I try to bring down a menu the submenu does not come
up.

> >It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
resource.
> >I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000 workstation, so I doubt
> >that it is a pure system memory issue. I suspect that there is some
video
> >driver issue and/or some resource limitation in the video driver memory.
> >
> >Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there any
> >setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would possibly
> >address this?

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message news:108qrc18b3v0l8f@corp.supernews.com...
> Could be the power supply
>
> CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
> > Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
> > problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of
> > resources. If I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example,
> > sometimes the menus will not draw. or if I try to bring down a
> > menu the submenu does not come up.
> >
> > It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
> > resource. I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000
> > workstation, so I doubt that it is a pure system memory issue. I
> > suspect that there is some video driver issue and/or some resource
> > limitation in the video driver memory.
> >
> > Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there
> > any setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would
> > possibly address this?

I have Win2000 SP4 with 1GB and running Catalyst from 3.1 till 4.4; but
never have such symptom. Sometimes, when accidentally viewing some
porn links, there are more than 25 IExplorers on the desktops. The only
problems are pictures downloading drags the system down to waiting.

I guess you might have some spywares working behind.

Use ZoneAlarm, SpyBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, etc. to search for spywares,
and have a personal firewall to reduce the harm.

I never have more than about MSIE browsers open, and they are very
low-resource sites. No porn on that machine, period.

There are no spywares on my machine. I run Zone Alarm, block popups by
other means, and watch Task Manager like a hawk. Heck, I kill Real
Networks' services at startup because I consider their automatic inclusion
into my service list highly intrusive.

You may be on the right track though to suggest it is some other software on
this system. It might be that some old device driver that is very badly
behaved may have a remnant left over on the system.

How do I even begin to explore how much memory each device driver takes?
How do I get a complete list of all device drivers on the system, and how do
I identify which are not native Microsoft?