9800SE -> 9800PRO, a strange thing.....

Hello to everyone, i just bought a brand new XpertVision ATI Radeon
9800SE, it got the "L" memories and a 256 bit memory bus. I just
modded
the board to a 9800PRO with the Omega drivers and on the windows XP
desktop it's all ok. It's okay also with games like Call of Duty,
Vietcong, Neverwinter Nights, Unreal 2 and with the benchmarks
3DMARK2001 and Aquamark...the problems come when i run the 3DMARK2003.
The first test (wings of fury) runs perfeclty but the second one, the
third one and the fourth one (Proxicon, Trolls Lair and Mother Nature)
the card shows few artifacts (the artifacts decrease if i active the
AA and AN filters at 4X). Can someone explain this? It's not a problem
of
overclock cause i downclocked very much but the problem still remains.
Thanks to all in advance!!!

Max.

On 26 Apr 2004 16:43:24 -0700, veltar@despammed.com (Veltar) wrote:

>Hello to everyone, i just bought a brand new XpertVision ATI Radeon
>9800SE, it got the "L" memories and a 256 bit memory bus. I just
>modded
>the board to a 9800PRO with the Omega drivers and on the windows XP
>desktop it's all ok. It's okay also with games like Call of Duty,
>Vietcong, Neverwinter Nights, Unreal 2 and with the benchmarks
>3DMARK2001 and Aquamark...the problems come when i run the 3DMARK2003.
>The first test (wings of fury) runs perfeclty but the second one, the
>third one and the fourth one (Proxicon, Trolls Lair and Mother Nature)
>the card shows few artifacts (the artifacts decrease if i active the
>AA and AN filters at 4X). Can someone explain this? It's not a problem
>of
>overclock cause i downclocked very much but the problem still remains.
>Thanks to all in advance!!!

The cure for this is to not run 3DMark2003. If there is no problem
with the software you use then don't worry about it. Perhaps I have
the same problem. I don't know as I only run 3DMark2001SE. If you have
run that, I would be very interested to know your score.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4k8r80divhphjb3oqul6c7ffbg5gllautu@4ax.com>...

> The cure for this is to not run 3DMark2003. If there is no problem
> with the software you use then don't worry about it. Perhaps I have
> the same problem. I don't know as I only run 3DMark2001SE. If you have
> run that, I would be very interested to know your score.

I'd like to test the card on full DX9 compliant games like Far Cry,
anyway the core frequency you use is too high for my SpertVision. My
system and my score:

Athlon XP 2600+
AsRock K7S8X
512 Mb 333
80 GB Hitachi
XpertVision 9800se@pro 408/342

score 3DMark2001 (not "SE"): 13000

yours?

On 27 Apr 2004 01:43:08 -0700, veltar@despammed.com (Veltar) wrote:

>Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4k8r80divhphjb3oqul6c7ffbg5gllautu@4ax.com>...
>
>> The cure for this is to not run 3DMark2003. If there is no problem
>> with the software you use then don't worry about it. Perhaps I have
>> the same problem. I don't know as I only run 3DMark2001SE. If you have
>> run that, I would be very interested to know your score.
>
>I'd like to test the card on full DX9 compliant games like Far Cry,

Then try the demo

>anyway the core frequency you use is too high for my SpertVision. My
>system and my score:
>
>Athlon XP 2600+
>AsRock K7S8X
>512 Mb 333
>80 GB Hitachi
>XpertVision 9800se@pro 408/342
>
>score 3DMark2001 (not "SE"): 13000

14000

Which seems low to me but perhaps there are a few braggers about.
Anyway, mine (and I assume yours) can eat up anything that's around at
present.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Most probably you just get a 'true' 9800SE.

IE a 9800 Pro that dont pass all the tests for a retail 9800 Pro but still
ok with half pipes desactivated.

In other words, bad luck :(

"Veltar" <veltar@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hello to everyone, i just bought a brand new XpertVision ATI Radeon
> 9800SE, it got the "L" memories and a 256 bit memory bus. I just
> modded
> the board to a 9800PRO with the Omega drivers and on the windows XP
> desktop it's all ok. It's okay also with games like Call of Duty,
> Vietcong, Neverwinter Nights, Unreal 2 and with the benchmarks
> 3DMARK2001 and Aquamark...the problems come when i run the 3DMARK2003.
> The first test (wings of fury) runs perfeclty but the second one, the
> third one and the fourth one (Proxicon, Trolls Lair and Mother Nature)
> the card shows few artifacts (the artifacts decrease if i active the
> AA and AN filters at 4X). Can someone explain this? It's not a problem
> of
> overclock cause i downclocked very much but the problem still remains.
> Thanks to all in advance!!!
>
> Max.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:47:17 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
waffled on about something:

>On 27 Apr 2004 01:43:08 -0700, veltar@despammed.com (Veltar) wrote:
>
>>Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4k8r80divhphjb3oqul6c7ffbg5gllautu@4ax.com>...
>>
>>> The cure for this is to not run 3DMark2003. If there is no problem
>>> with the software you use then don't worry about it. Perhaps I have
>>> the same problem. I don't know as I only run 3DMark2001SE. If you have
>>> run that, I would be very interested to know your score.
>>
>>I'd like to test the card on full DX9 compliant games like Far Cry,
>
>Then try the demo
>
>>anyway the core frequency you use is too high for my SpertVision. My
>>system and my score:
>>
>>Athlon XP 2600+
>>AsRock K7S8X
>>512 Mb 333
>>80 GB Hitachi
>>XpertVision 9800se@pro 408/342
>>
>>score 3DMark2001 (not "SE"): 13000
>
>14000
>
>Which seems low to me but perhaps there are a few braggers about.
>Anyway, mine (and I assume yours) can eat up anything that's around at
>present.

I'm not sure what kind of difference there is between 3dmark2001se and
non-se, but I get over 17000 in se (I don't have the older one) with a
standard clocked, but pipe unlocked AIW 9800se running on a p4c 3.0Ghz
pc with 1Ghz dual channel ram.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:42:11 +0100, Dodgy
<Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:47:17 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
>waffled on about something:

>>>I'd like to test the card on full DX9 compliant games like Far Cry,
>>
>>Then try the demo
>>
>>>anyway the core frequency you use is too high for my SpertVision. My
>>>system and my score:
>>>
>>>Athlon XP 2600+
>>>AsRock K7S8X
>>>512 Mb 333
>>>80 GB Hitachi
>>>XpertVision 9800se@pro 408/342
>>>
>>>score 3DMark2001 (not "SE"): 13000
>>
>>14000
>>
>>Which seems low to me but perhaps there are a few braggers about.
>>Anyway, mine (and I assume yours) can eat up anything that's around at
>>present.
>
>I'm not sure what kind of difference there is between 3dmark2001se and
>non-se, but I get over 17000 in se (I don't have the older one) with a
>standard clocked, but pipe unlocked AIW 9800se running on a p4c 3.0Ghz
>pc with 1Ghz dual channel ram.

My 9800SE is clocked faster than yours but you have a faster processor
and ram and I suspect faster motherboard as well. When I feel that I
don't have enough speed, I'll swap MB bios to the Cheepoman hacked
version and use his memory tweak.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:03:38 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
waffled on about something:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:42:11 +0100, Dodgy
><Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:47:17 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
>>waffled on about something:

>>>Then try the demo

>>>14000
>>>
>>>Which seems low to me but perhaps there are a few braggers about.
>>>Anyway, mine (and I assume yours) can eat up anything that's around at
>>>present.
>>
>>I'm not sure what kind of difference there is between 3dmark2001se and
>>non-se, but I get over 17000 in se (I don't have the older one) with a
>>standard clocked, but pipe unlocked AIW 9800se running on a p4c 3.0Ghz
>>pc with 1Ghz dual channel ram.
>
>My 9800SE is clocked faster than yours but you have a faster processor
>and ram and I suspect faster motherboard as well. When I feel that I
>don't have enough speed, I'll swap MB bios to the Cheepoman hacked
>version and use his memory tweak.

Gigabyte GA8-KNXP, Intel 875p chipset, corsair twin LL 3200DDR match
pair ram... ;-)

Can't remember what bios I'm running though, I must have tried 5
different version including beta's to get the memory to run up
properly.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES