accessing locked files

January 2, 2005 2:21:01 AM

hello savvy computer techies,

i'm having trouble accessing files that were on a partitioned drive.
i recently did a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 onto my c: drive, but i
cannot open the files that i was once able to access before the
re-installation of windows xp pro sp2 on my other partitioned d: drive.

i thought by adding a user under "Users Who Can Transparently Access This
File:" in the section "encryption details" (properties > advanced > details)
i would be able to access the files, but there are no users to select from,
not even the administrator.

please help!

More about : accessing locked files

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:33:51 AM

Tim;
As long as they were not encrypted, Taking Ownership should give you access,
#9 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E6FDF71E-E292-4776-A458-72F1976117C8@microsoft.com...
> hello savvy computer techies,
>
> i'm having trouble accessing files that were on a partitioned drive.
> i recently did a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 onto my c: drive, but
> cannot open the files that i was once able to access before the
> re-installation of windows xp pro sp2 on my other partitioned d: drive.
>
> i thought by adding a user under "Users Who Can Transparently Access This
> File:" in the section "encryption details" (properties > advanced >
> details)
> i would be able to access the files, but there are no users to select
> from,
> not even the administrator.
>
> please help!
January 2, 2005 3:33:52 AM

hi jupiter jones,

i followed all the instructions and i am still unable to access my files.
any other insight?

thanks in advanced

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Tim;
> As long as they were not encrypted, Taking Ownership should give you access,
> #9 on this link:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello savvy computer techies,
> >
> > i'm having trouble accessing files that were on a partitioned drive.
> > i recently did a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 onto my c: drive, but
> > cannot open the files that i was once able to access before the
> > re-installation of windows xp pro sp2 on my other partitioned d: drive.
> >
> > i thought by adding a user under "Users Who Can Transparently Access This
> > File:" in the section "encryption details" (properties > advanced >
> > details)
> > i would be able to access the files, but there are no users to select
> > from,
> > not even the administrator.
> >
> > please help!

January 2, 2005 4:28:02 AM

Tim:
Were the files encrypted?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> hi jupiter jones,
>
> i followed all the instructions and i am still unable to access my files.
> any other insight?
>
> thanks in advanced
January 2, 2005 4:49:02 AM

i'm not 100% sure, but i want to say yes, they were.
is there a way i can tell if they were encrypted?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Tim:
> Were the files encrypted?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi jupiter jones,
> >
> > i followed all the instructions and i am still unable to access my files.
> > any other insight?
> >
> > thanks in advanced

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:44:12 PM

tim wrote:
> i'm not 100% sure, but i want to say yes, they were.
> is there a way i can tell if they were encrypted?

If taking ownership didn't work, and you're sure you set the NTFS security
properly after taking ownership, then they may well have been encrypted, in
which case they're toast unless you made a backup of your encryption
key.....

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Tim:
>> Were the files encrypted?
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> hi jupiter jones,
>>>
>>> i followed all the instructions and i am still unable to access my
>>> files. any other insight?
>>>
>>> thanks in advanced
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:47:52 PM

Tim;
What color are they?
The default color for encrypted files is green.
If that is the case and you do not have the necessary files, your data is as
good as gone.
See the links on the bottom of this page to help prevent this in the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> i'm not 100% sure, but i want to say yes, they were.
> is there a way i can tell if they were encrypted?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Tim:
>> Were the files encrypted?
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi jupiter jones,
>> >
>> > i followed all the instructions and i am still unable to access my
>> > files.
>> > any other insight?
>> >
>> > thanks in advanced

January 3, 2005 3:03:01 AM

yes, they're green.

well, thanks for all your help!

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Tim;
> What color are they?
> The default color for encrypted files is green.
> If that is the case and you do not have the necessary files, your data is as
> good as gone.
> See the links on the bottom of this page to help prevent this in the future:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i'm not 100% sure, but i want to say yes, they were.
> > is there a way i can tell if they were encrypted?
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Tim:
> >> Were the files encrypted?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >>

> >> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:07:02 PM

I tried following the instructions, and I get no "Security" tab under
PROPERTIES...

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Tim;
> As long as they were not encrypted, Taking Ownership should give you access,
> #9 on this link:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello savvy computer techies,
> >
> > i'm having trouble accessing files that were on a partitioned drive.
> > i recently did a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 onto my c: drive, but
> > cannot open the files that i was once able to access before the
> > re-installation of windows xp pro sp2 on my other partitioned d: drive.
> >
> > i thought by adding a user under "Users Who Can Transparently Access This
> > File:" in the section "encryption details" (properties > advanced >
> > details)
> > i would be able to access the files, but there are no users to select
> > from,
> > not even the administrator.
> >
> > please help!

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:43:41 PM

stephen.accetta@honeywell.com wrote:

> I tried following the instructions, and I get no "Security" tab
> under PROPERTIES...
Hi,

You did see this part of
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

<quote>
If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must
start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account
that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: